Functional analysis of the role of eyes absent and sine oculis in the developing eye of the cricket Gryllus bimaculatus
Article first published online: 20 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2012 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 54, Issue 2, pages 227–240, February 2012
How to Cite
Takagi, A., Kurita, K., Terasawa, T., Nakamura, T., Bando, T., Moriyama, Y., Mito, T., Noji, S. and Ohuchi, H. (2012), Functional analysis of the role of eyes absent and sine oculis in the developing eye of the cricket Gryllus bimaculatus. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 54: 227–240. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2011.01325.x
- Issue published online: 27 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 20 FEB 2012
- Received 15 November 2011; revised 20 December 2011; accepted 23 December 2011.
- 1978. Postembryonic development of the visual system of the locust, Schistocerca gregaria. II. An experimental investigation of the formation of the retina-lamina projection. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 46, 147–170.
- 2000. Mutations of a human homologue of the Drosophila eyes absent gene (EYA1) detected in patients with congenital cataracts and ocular anterior segment anomalies. Hum. Mol. Genet. 9, 363–366. , , , &
- 2009. Regulation of leg size and shape by the Dachsous/Fat signalling pathway during regeneration. Development 136, 2235–2245. , , , , , , &
- 2009. Molecular evolution of the Drosophila retinome: exceptional gene gain in the higher Diptera. Mol. Biol. Evol. 26, 1273–1287. &
- 2002. Combinatorial control of Drosophila eye development by eyeless, homothorax, and teashirt. Genes Dev. 16, 2415–2427. , , , &
- 1997. The Drosophila eyes absent gene directs ectopic eye formation in a pathway conserved between flies and vertebrates. Development 124, 4819–4826. , , &
- 1993. The eyes absent gene: genetic control of cell survival and differentiation in the developing Drosophila eye. Cell 72, 379–395. , &
- 1998. Multiple roles of the eyes absent gene in Drosophila. Dev. Biol. 196, 42–57. , &
- 1979. Die structurelle spezialisierung des dosalen augenteils der Grillen (Othoptera, Gruylloidea). Zool. Jb. Physioll. Bd 83, S502–S525.
- 2006. Pax6 and eye development in Arthropoda. Arthropod Struct. Dev. 35, 379–391. , , &
- 2010. Building a fly eye: terminal differentiation events of the retina, corneal lens, and pigmented epithelia. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 93, 129–173. &
- 1997. Dachshund and eyes absent proteins form a complex and function synergistically to induce ectopic eye development in Drosophila. Cell 91, 893–903. , , &
- 1999. Signaling by the TGF-beta homolog decapentaplegic functions reiteratively within the network of genes controlling retinal cell fate determination in Drosophila. Development 126, 935–943. , , &
- 2008. The six family of homeobox genes in development and cancer. Adv. Cancer Res. 101, 93–126. , , &
- 2006. D-six4 plays a key role in patterning cell identities deriving from the Drosophila mesoderm. Dev. Biol. 294, 220–231. , , , &
- 2000. Morphogenetic furrow initiation and progression during eye development in Drosophila: the roles of decapentaplegic, hedgehog and eyes absent. Development 127, 1325–1336. &
- 1999. twin of eyeless, a second Pax-6 gene of Drosophila, acts upstream of eyeless in the control of eye development. Mol. Cell 3, 297–307. , , , , &
- 2010. Enforcing biphasic eye development in a directly developing insect by transient knockdown of single eye selector genes. J. Exp. Zool. B. Mol. Dev. Evol. 314, 104–114. &
- 2006a. Ancient mechanisms of visual sense organ development based on comparison of the gene networks controlling larval eye, ocellus, and compound eye specification in Drosophila. Arthropod Struct. Dev. 35, 357–378.
- 2006b. Continuity versus split and reconstitution: exploring the molecular developmental corollaries of insect eye primordium evolution. Dev. Biol. 299, 310–329.
- 2000. Divergent decapentaplegic expression patterns in compound eye development and the evolution of insect metamorphosis. J. Exp. Zool. 288, 39–55. &
- 1995. New perspectives on eye evolution. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 5, 602–609. , &
- 2004. Expression patterns of dachshund during head development of Gryllus bimaculatus (cricket). Gene Expr. Patterns 4, 725–731. , , , , , , , &
- 2000. Mice deficient in Six5 develop cataracts: implications for myotonic dystrophy. Nat. Genet. 25, 105–109. , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Headless flies produced by mutations in the paralogous Pax6 genes eyeless and twin of eyeless. Development 129, 1015–1026. , , , , , &
- 2008. Wnt signaling in retinal stem cells and regeneration. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 245–251. &
- 2009. The molecular circuitry governing retinal determination. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1789, 306–314.
- 2011. My what big eyes you have: how the Drosophila retina grows. Dev. Neurobiol. 71, 1135–1152.
- 2008. The Two-Spotted Cricket Gryllus bimaculatus: an Emerging Model for Developmental and Regeneration Studies. CSH protoc. 2008, pp. 331–346. &
- 2004. Involvement of Wingless/Armadillo signaling in the posterior sequential segmentation in the cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus (Orthoptera), as revealed by RNAi analysis. Mech. Dev. 121, 119–130. , , , , , &
- 2008. EGFR signaling is required for re-establishing the proximodistal axis during distal leg regeneration in the cricket Gryllus bimaculatus nymph. Dev. Biol. 319, 46–55. , , , &
- 2007. Involvement of canonical Wnt/Wingless signaling in the determination of the positional values within the leg segment of the cricket Gryllus bimaculatus. Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 79–88. , , , , &
- 2000. Correlation of diversity of leg morphology in Gryllus bimaculatus (cricket) with divergence in dpp expression pattern during leg development. Development 127, 4373–4381. , , , , , , &
- 1997. Correlation between Distal-less expression patterns and structures of appendages in development of the two-spotted cricket, Gryllus bimaculatus. Zoolog. Sci. 14, 115–125. , , , &
- 1996. Ectopic lens induction in fish in response to the murine homeobox gene Six3. Mech. Dev. 60, 233–239. , , , &
- 1995. Six3, a murine homologue of the sine oculis gene, demarcates the most anterior border of the developing neural plate and is expressed during eye development. Development 121, 4045–4055. , , , , &
- 1997. The eye-specification proteins So and Eya form a complex and regulate multiple steps in Drosophila eye development. Cell 91, 881–891. , , , , &
- 1997. Induction of Drosophila eye development by decapentaplegic. Development 124, 271–278. &
- 2003. Diurnal and circadian rhythm in compound eye of cricket (Gryllus bimaculatus): changes in structure and phton capture efficinecy. Zoolog. Sci. 20, 833–840. , , &
- 1994. sine oculis is a homeobox gene required for Drosophila visual system development. Genetics 138, 1137–1150. &
- 1997. Ectopic eye development in Drosophila induced by directed dachshund expression. Development 124, 45–52. &
- 1993. The body wall and its derivatives. In: Principles of Insect Morphology (ed P. Surya), pp. 48–50. Cornell University, Ithaca. &
- 1993. Pattern formation in the Drosophila retina. In: The Development of Drosophila melanogaster (eds M. Bate & A. Martinez-Arias), pp. 1277–1325. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, NY. &
- 1999. Eya1-deficient mice lack ears and kidneys and show abnormal apoptosis of organ primordia. Nat. Genet. 23, 113–117. , , , , &
- 2009. Probing the Drosophila retinal determination gene network in Tribolium (I): the early retinal genes dachshund, eyes absent and sine oculis. Dev. Biol. 333, 202–214. , , &