Positional information in neural map development: Lessons from the olfactory system
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Author. Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2012 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: Neural Development Edited by T. Miyata.
Volume 54, Issue 3, pages 358–365, April 2012
How to Cite
Imai, T. (2012), Positional information in neural map development: Lessons from the olfactory system. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 54: 358–365. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2012.01334.x
- Issue published online: 24 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2012
- Received 28 November 2011; revised 12 January 2012; accepted 28 January 2012.
- 2002. Odorant receptors instruct functional circuitry in the mouse olfactory bulb. Nature 419, 296–300. , , , &
- 2011. Network anatomy and in vivo physiology of visual cortical neurons. Nature 471, 177–182. , , , , , , , , &
- 1985. Position-dependent properties of retinal axons and their growth cones. Nature 315, 408–410. &
- 2000. Topographic mapping from the retina to the midbrain is controlled by relative but not absolute levels of EphA receptor signaling. Cell 102, 77–88. , , , , , , , &
- 1991. A novel multigene family may encode odorant receptors: a molecular basis for odor recognition. Cell 65, 175–187. &
- 1995. Complementary gradients in expression and binding of ELF-1 and Mek4 in development of the topographic retinotectal projection map. Cell 82, 371–381. , , &
- 2004. Maps in the brain: what can we learn from them? Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 27, 369–392. &
- 1989. Event or emergency? Two response systems in the mammalian superior colliculus. Trends Neurosci. 12, 137–147. , &
- 1995. In vitro guidance of retinal ganglion cell axons by RAGS, a 25 kDa tectal proteinrelated to ligands for Eph receptor tyrosine kinases. Cell 82, 359–370. , , , , &
- 1984. An evaluation of the hypothesis of shifting terminals in goldfish optic tectum. J. Neurosci. 4, 1052–1063. &
- 2004. A contextual model for axonal sorting into glomeruli in the mouse olfactory system. Cell 117, 817–831. &
- 2010. Visual Map Development: Bidirectional Signaling, Bifunctional Guidance Molecules, and Competition. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology, 2, A001768. &
- 1998. The ephrins and Eph receptors in neural development. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 21, 309–345. &
- 1981. Retinotopic analysis of fiber pathways in the regenerating retinotectal system of the adult newt cynops Pyrrhogaster. Brain Res. 206, 27–37.
- 2008. Segregation of axial motor and sensory pathways via heterotypic trans-axonal signaling. Science 320, 233–236. , , , , , , , &
- 1974. The evolution of the retinotectal map during development in Xenopus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 185, 301–330. , &
- 1983. Model for the retino-tectal projection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 218, 77–93.
- 2008. Retinotopic order in the absence of axon competition. Nature 452, 892–895. , &
- 2004. Retinal axon response to ephrin-as shows a graded, concentration-dependent transition from growth promotion to inhibition. Neuron 42, 717–730. , &
- 1999. Tectotectal connectivity in goldfish. J. Comp. Neurol. 411, 455–471. , , , &
- 1984. Does timing of axon outgrowth influence initial retinotectal topography in Xenopus? J. Neurosci. 4, 1130–1152.
- 1993. Position, guidance, and mapping in the developing visual system. J. Neurobiol. 24, 1400–1422. &
- 2008. Mechanisms underlying development of visual maps and receptive fields. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 31, 479–509. , &
- 2007. Roles of odorant receptors in projecting axons in the mouse olfactory system. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 17, 507–515. &
- 2011. Axon–axon interactions in neuronal circuit assembly: lessons from olfactory map formation. Eur. J. Neurosci. 34, 1647–1654. &
- 2010. Topographic mapping – the olfactory system. Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2, a001776. , &
- 2006. Odorant receptor-derived cAMP signals direct axonal targeting. Science 314, 657–661. , &
- 2009. Pre-target axon sorting establishes the neural map topography. Science 325, 585–590. , , , , , &
- 2009. Forming patterns in development without morphogen gradients: scattered differentiation and sorting out. Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 1, a001503. &
- 2007. Innate versus learned odour processing in the mouse olfactory bulb. Nature 450, 503–508. , , et al.
- 2011. Long-range neuronal circuits underlying the interaction between sensory and motor cortex. Neuron 72, 111–123. , , , , &
- 2010. Motor control by sensory cortex. Science 330, 1240–1243. , , , , , , &
- 2003. Bifunctional action of ephrin-B1 as a repellent and attractant to control bidirectional branch extension in dorsal-ventral retinotopic mapping. Development 130, 2407–2418. , , &
- 1996. Visualizing an olfactory sensory map. Cell 87, 675–686. , , , , , , &
- 1992. Differential specificities of single mitral cells in rabbit olfactory bulb for a homologous series of fatty acid odor molecules. J. Neurophysiol. 67, 786–789. , &
- 2006. Maps of odorant molecular features in the mammalian olfactory bulb. Physiol. Rev. 86, 409–433. , , &
- 2011. Olfactory maps in the brain. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 34, 233–258.
- 2011. Segregation and pathfinding of callosal axons through EphA3 signaling. J. Neurosci. 31, 16251–16260. , , , &
- 2005. Pretarget sorting of retinocollicular axons in the mouse. J. Comp. Neurol., 491, 305–319. , &
- 1990. Temporal retinal growth cones collapse on contact with nasal retinal axons. Exp. Neurol. 109, 70–74. &
- 2004. A relative signalling model for the formation of a topographic neural map. Nature 431, 847–853. , &
- 1994. Information coding in the olfactory system: evidence for a stereotyped and highly organized epitope map in the olfactory bulb. Cell 79, 1245–1255. , &
- 2011. Wiring economy and volume exclusion determine neuronal placement in the Drosophila brain. Curr. Biol. 21, 2000–2005. , , , , , , , &
- 1995. Differential expression of two cell surface proteins, neuropilin and plexin, in Xenopus olfactory axon subclasses. J. Neurosci. 15, 942–955. , , , &
- 2006. Wnt-Ryk signalling mediates medial-lateral retinotectal topographic mapping. Nature 439, 31–37. , , , , &
- 1979. Nerve fibre topography in the retinal projection to the tectum. Nature 278, 620–624.
- 2000. Semaphorin 3A is required for guidance of olfactory axons in mice. J. Neurosci. 20, 7691–7697. , , , , &
- 2003. Dynamics of orientation selectivity in the primary visual cortex and the importance of cortical inhibition. Neuron 38, 689–699. , &
- 1963. Chemoaffinity in orderly growth of nerve fiber patterns and connections. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 50, 703–710.
- 2010. Olfactory mechanisms of stereotyped behavior: on the scent of specialized circuits. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 20, 274–280. &
- 2010. Sequential arrival and graded secretion of Sema3F by olfactory neuron axons specify map topography at the bulb. Cell 141, 1056–1067. , , et al.
- 1994. Topographic organization of sensory projections to the olfactory bulb. Cell 79, 981–991. , , , , &
- 1987. Avoidance of posterior tectal membranes by temporal retinal axons. Development 101, 909–913. , &
- 1998. Odorant receptors govern the formation of a precise topographic map. Cell 93, 47–60. , , &
- 2011. Anatomical coupling of sensory and motor nerve trajectory via axon tracking. Neuron 71, 263–277. , , &
- 2006. Early events in olfactory processing. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 29, 163–201. &
- 2011. Positional information and patterning revisited. J. Theor. Biol. 269, 359–365.
- 1976. Progress of topographic regulation of the visual projection in the halved optic tectum of adult goldfish. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 257, 621–643.
- 1977. Induction of compression in the re-established visual projections on to a rotated tectal reimplant that retains its original topographic polarity within the halved optic tectum of adult goldfish. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 264, 379–410.