Control of asymmetric cell division of mammalian neural progenitors
Article first published online: 24 APR 2012
© 2012 The Authors Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2012 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: Neural Development Edited by T. Miyata.
Volume 54, Issue 3, pages 277–286, April 2012
How to Cite
Shitamukai, A. and Matsuzaki, F. (2012), Control of asymmetric cell division of mammalian neural progenitors. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 54: 277–286. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2012.01345.x
- Issue published online: 24 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 24 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 FEB 2012
- 2010. Neurons derive from the more apical daughter in asymmetric divisions in the zebrafish neural tube. Nat. Neurosci. 13, 673–679. , , , &
- 2011. The role of Pax6 in regulating the orientation and mode of cell division of progenitors in the mouse cerebral cortex. Development 138, 5067–5078. , , , , , &
- 2008. FGF15 promotes neurogenesis and opposes FGF8 function during neocortical development. Neural. Dev. 3, 17. , , , , &
- 2010. Cdk5rap2 interacts with pericentrin to maintain the neural progenitor pool in the developing neocortex. Neuron 66, 386–402. , , , , &
- 2009. Mammalian Par3 regulates progenitor cell asymmetric division via notch signaling in the developing neocortex. Neuron 63, 189–202. , , , , &
- 2002. Radial glia: multi-purpose cells for vertebrate brain development. Trends Neurosci. 25, 235–238. &
- 1995. Cleavage orientation and the asymmetric inheritance of Notch1 immunoreactivity in mammalian neurogenesis. Cell 82, 631–641. &
- 2004. Mitotic spindle regulation by Nde1 controls cerebral cortical size. Neuron 44, 279–293. &
- 2011. Cortical progenitor expansion, self-renewal and neurogenesis-a polarized perspective. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 21, 23–35. &
- 2010. OSVZ progenitors of human and ferret neocortex are epithelial-like and expand by integrin signaling. Nat. Neurosci. 13, 690–699. , , , et al.
- 2006. Aspm specifically maintains symmetric proliferative divisions of neuroepithelial cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103, 10438–10443. , , , &
- 2000. Radial glial identity is promoted by Notch1 signaling in the murine forebrain. Neuron 26, 395–404. , &
- 2006. Molecular and morphological heterogeneity of neural precursors in the mouse neocortical proliferative zones. J. Neurosci. 26, 1045–1056. , , , , &
- 2009. Lfc and Tctex-1 regulate the genesis of neurons from cortical precursor cells. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 735–744. , , , , &
- 2007. Differences in cyclin D2 and D1 protein expression distinguish forebrain progenitor subsets. Cereb. Cortex 17, 632–642. , &
- 2009. Cyclin D2 is critical for intermediate progenitor cell proliferation in the embryonic cortex. J. Neurosci. 29, 9614–9624. , , , &
- 2010. Huntingtin is required for mitotic spindle orientation and mammalian neurogenesis. Neuron 67, 392–406. , , , et al.
- 2011. MCPH1 regulates the neuroprogenitor division mode by coupling the centrosomal cycle with mitotic entry through the Chk1–Cdc25 pathway. Nat. Cell Biol. 13, 1325–1334. , , , , &
- 2010. Neurogenic radial glia in the outer subventricular zone of human neocortex. Nature 464, 554–561. , , &
- 2004. Laminar patterning in the developing neocortex by temporally coordinated fibroblast growth factor signaling. J. Neurosci. 24, 8711–8719. , , , et al.
- 2004. Neurons arise in the basal neuroepithelium of the early mammalian telencephalon: a major site of neurogenesis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101, 3196–3201. , , &
- 2006. Basement membrane attachment is dispensable for radial glial cell fate and for proliferation, but affects positioning of neuronal subtypes. Development 133, 3245–3254. , , , &
- 1997. Asymmetric division and polarity of neuroepithelial cells. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 7, 29–39. &
- 2010. Hormone-like (endocrine) Fgfs: their evolutionary history and roles in development, metabolism, and disease. Cell Tissue Res. 342, 1–11.
- 2008. Single-cell gene profiling defines differential progenitor subclasses in mammalian neurogenesis. Development 135, 3113–3124. , , , et al.
- 2008. Mechanisms of asymmetric stem cell division. Cell 132, 583–597.
- 2008. Hedgehog signaling is involved in development of the neocortex. Development 135, 2717–2727. , , , , &
- 2008. Neuroepithelial progenitors undergo LGN-dependent planar divisions to maintain self-renewability during mammalian neurogenesis. Nat. Cell Biol. 10, 93–101. , , , et al.
- 2009. Basal process and cell divisions of neural progenitors in the developing brain. Dev. Growth Differ. 51, 251–261. &
- 2004. Asymmetric distribution of the apical plasma membrane during neurogenic divisions of mammalian neuroepithelial cells. EMBO J. 23, 2314–2324. , , , , &
- 2011. Reelin sets the pace of neocortical neurogenesis. Development 138, 5223–5234. , &
- 2011. The cerebrospinal fluid provides a proliferative niche for neural progenitor cells. Neuron 69, 893–905. , , , et al.
- 2011. Development and evolution of the human neocortex. Cell 146, 18–36. , &
- 2004. Asymmetric production of surface-dividing and non-surface-dividing cortical progenitor cells. Development 131, 3133–3145. , , , , &
- 2005. MAGI1 recruits Dll1 to cadherin-based adherens junctions and stabilizes it on the cell surface. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 26499–26507. , , , , &
- 2007. Control of planar divisions by the G-protein regulator LGN maintains progenitors in the chick neuroepithelium. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 1440–1448. , &
- 2009. Centrioles, centrosomes, and cilia in health and disease. Cell 139, 663–678. &
- 2007. Numb controls integrin endocytosis for directional cell migration with aPKC and PAR-3. Dev. Cell 13, 15–28. &
- 2004. Cortical neurons arise in symmetric and asymmetric division zones and migrate through specific phases. Nat. Neurosci. 7, 136–144. , , &
- 2008. Distinct behaviors of neural stem and progenitor cells underlie cortical neurogenesis. J. Comp. Neurol. 508, 28–44. , &
- 2011. Dual roles of Notch in regulation of apically restricted mitosis and apicobasal polarity of neuroepithelial cells. Neuron 69, 215–230. , , , et al.
- 2011. A lateral belt of cortical LGN and NuMA guides mitotic spindle movements and planar division in neuroepithelial cells. J. Cell Biol. 193, 141–154. , , , et al.
- 2011. Mouse inscuteable induces apical-basal spindle orientation to facilitate intermediate progenitor generation in the developing neocortex. Neuron 72, 269–284. , , , , &
- 2010. Mutations in mouse Aspm (abnormal spindle-like microcephaly associated) cause not only microcephaly but also major defects in the germline. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107, 16595–16600. , , , et al.
- 2011. A role for intermediate radial glia in the tangential expansion of the mammalian cerebral cortex. Cereb. Cortex 21, 1674–1694. , , &
- 2006. Asymmetric localization of Numb: EGFP in dividing neuroepithelial cells during neurulation in Danio rerio. Dev. Dyn. 235, 934–948. , , &
- 2010. Specification of neurons through asymmetric cell divisions. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 20, 44–49.
- 2009. Sip1 regulates sequential fate decisions by feedback signaling from postmitotic neurons to progenitors. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 1373–1380. , , , et al.
- 2004. Gi2 signaling enhances proliferation of neural progenitor cells in the developing brain. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 41141–41148. , , , et al.
- 2009. Structural basis for self-renewal of neural progenitors in cortical neurogenesis. Cereb. Cortex 19(Suppl 1), i55–i61. , , &
- 2011. Oblique radial glial divisions in the developing mouse neocortex induce self-renewing progenitors outside the germinal zone that resemble primate outer subventricular zone progenitors. J. Neurosci. 31, 3683–3695. , &
- 2009. Retinoic acid from the meninges regulates cortical neuron generation. Cell 139, 597–609. , , , et al.
- 2010. Heterogeneity in ventricular zone neural precursors contributes to neuronal fate diversity in the postnatal neocortex. J. Neurosci. 30, 7028–7036. , , &
- 2009. Differences of migratory behavior between direct progeny of apical progenitors and basal progenitors in the developing cerebral cortex. Cereb. Cortex 19, 2092–2105. , &
- 2012 Cyclin D2 in the basal process of neural progenitors is linked to non-equivalent cell fates. EMBO J. Mar 6. 2012 [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , &
- 2007. Transitin, a nestin-like intermediate filament protein, mediates cortical localization and the lateral transport of Numb in mitotic avian neuroepithelial cells. Development 134, 2425–2433. , , , &
- 2009. Asymmetric centrosome inheritance maintains neural progenitors in the neocortex. Nature 461, 947–955. , , , , &
- 2011. Orienting fate: spatial regulation of neurogenic divisions. Neuron 72, 191–193. , &
- 2003. Orientation of asymmetric stem cell division by the APC tumor suppressor and centrosome. Science 301, 1547–1550. , &
- 2008. Neuroepithelial stem cell proliferation requires LIS1 for precise spindle orientation and symmetric division. Cell 132, 474–486. , , , et al.
- 2005. Notch signaling in the mammalian central nervous system: insights from mouse mutants. Nat. Neurosci. 8, 709–715. &