The mode and molecular mechanisms of the migration of presumptive PGC in the endoderm cell mass of Xenopus embryos
Article first published online: 2 MAR 2005
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 47, Issue 1, pages 37–48, January 2005
How to Cite
Nishiumi, F., Komiya, T. and Ikenishi, K. (2005), The mode and molecular mechanisms of the migration of presumptive PGC in the endoderm cell mass of Xenopus embryos. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 47: 37–48. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169x.2004.00777.x
- Issue published online: 2 MAR 2005
- Article first published online: 2 MAR 2005
- Received 16 September 2004; revised 27 October 2004; accepted 1 November 2004.
- 1999. Mouse primordial germ cells lacking β1 integrins enter the germline but fail to migrate normally to the gonads. Development 126, 1655–1664. , , et al.
- 2003. Impaired colonization of the gonads by primordial germ cells in mice lacking a chemokine, stromal cell derived factor-1 (SDF-1). Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 5319–5323.DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0730719100 , , et al.
- 1998. The origin and migration of primordial germ cells in the mouse. Cell Dev. Biol. 9, 393–400.DOI: 10.1006/scdb.1998.0204 , , ,
- 1958. Contribution to the study of germ cells in Anura. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 6, 491–503.
- 1995. Pole cell migration through the gut wall of the Drosophila embryo: analysis of cell interactions. Dev. Biol. 170, 365–375. , ,
- 1969. Observations on the origin of the ‘germinal cytoplasm’ in Xenopus laevis. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 22, 229–251.
- 1991. Cultured human fibroblasts contain a large pool of precursor β1-integrin but lack an intracellular pool of mature subunit. Eur. J. Biochem. 199, 25–33. , , , ,
- 1989. Whole-mount analyses of cytoskeletal reorganization and function during oogenesis and early embryogenesis in Xenopus. In: The Cell Biology of Fertilization (eds H. Schatten & G. Schatten), pp. 63–103. Academic Press, San Diego. ,
- 2002. Guidance of primordial germ cell migration by the chemokine SDF-1. Cell 111, 647–659. , , et al.
- 1985. Distribution of fibronectin on the migratory pathway of primordial germ cells in mice. Anat. Rec. 211, 271–278.DOI: 10.1002/ar.1092110307 , ,
- 1997. Interactions between germ cells and extracellular matrix glycoproteins during migration and gonad assembly in the mouse embryos. J. Cell Biol. 138, 471–480.DOI: 10.1083/jcb.138.2.471 , , ,
- 1992. β1-integrin is a maternal protein that is inserted into all newly formed plasma membranes during early Xenopus embryogenesis. Development 115, 595–605. , ,
- 1981. Primordial germ cells of Xenopus embryos: The role of fibronectin in their adhesion during migration. Cell 27, 437–447. , , , ,
- 1975. Ultrastructure of the ‘germinal plasm’ in Xenopus embryos after cleavage. Dev. Growth Differ. 17, 101–110.DOI: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.1975.00101.x ,
- 1986. A natural marker for blastomeres of the germ line in cleavage stage Xenopus embryos. Dev. Biol. 113, 259–262.DOI: 10.1016/0012-1606(86)90128-4 ,
- 1997. Involvement of the protein of Xenopus vasa homolog (Xenopus vasa-like gene 1, XVLG1) in the differentiation of primordial germ cells. Dev. Growth Differ. 39, 625–633.DOI: 10.1046/j.1440-169X.1997.t01-4-00010.x ,
- 1976. Observation on the migration and proliferation of gonocytes in Xenopus lavies. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 36, 197–207. , , ,
- 1980. The migration of presumptive primordial germ cells through the endodermal cell mass in Xenopus laevis: a light and electron microscopic study. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 59, 1–17. , ,
- 1994. Isolation and characterization of a novel gene of the DEAD box protein family which is specifically expressed in germ cells of Xenopus laevis. Dev. Biol. 162, 354–363.DOI: 10.1006/dbio.1994.1093 , , ,
- 1973. Cortical granules remaining after fertilization in Xenopus laevis. Dev. Biol. 30, 228–232.DOI: 10.1016/0012-1606(73)90063-8 , ,
- 2002. Integrin connections map: To infinity and beyond. Science 296, 1652–1653.DOI: 10.1126/science.296.5573.1652 , , , ,
- 2000. Characterization of a Xenopus laevis CXC chemokine receptor 4: implications for hematopoietic cell development in the vertebrate embryo. Eur. J. Immunol. 30, 2924–2934.DOI: 10.1002/1521-4141(200010)30:10<2924::AID-IMMU2924>3.0.CO;2-Y , , , , ,
- 1967. Normal Table of Xenopus Laevis (Daudin). Amsterdam, North-Holland. ,
- 2004. Autonomous modes of behavior in primordial germ cell migration. Dev. Cell 6, 589–596.DOI: 10.1016/S1534-5807(04)00074-7 , ,
- 2002. Possible role of the 38-kDa protein, lacking in the gastrula-arrested Xenopus mutant, in gastrulation. Dev. Growth Differ. 44, 23–33.DOI: 10.1046/j.1440-169x.2002.00619.x ,
- 1989. Distribution of extracellular matrix in the migratory pathway of avian primordial germ cells. Anat. Rec. 224, 14–21.DOI: 10.1002/ar.1092240104 , ,
- 1975. Quantitative studies of germ plasm and germ cells during early embryogenesis of Xenopus laevis. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 33, 57–74. ,
- 1999. Vegetal rotation, a new gastrulation movement involved in the internalization of the mesoderm and endoderm in Xenopus. Development 126, 3703–3713. ,
- 2004. A novel gene, the protein product of which is mainly expressed in germline cells and in the dorsal structures of Xenopus. Dev. Genes Evol. 214, 89–95.DOI: 10.1007/s00427-004-0382-8 , ,