These authors contributed equally to this work.
TGF-β3 induces ectopic mineralization in fetal mouse dental pulp during tooth germ development
Version of Record online: 11 APR 2005
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 47, Issue 3, pages 141–152, April 2005
How to Cite
Huojia, M., Muraoka, N., Yoshizaki, K., Fukumoto, S., Nakashima, M., Akamine, A., Nonaka, K. and Ohishi, M. (2005), TGF-β3 induces ectopic mineralization in fetal mouse dental pulp during tooth germ development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 47: 141–152. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169x.2005.00790.x
- Issue online: 11 APR 2005
- Version of Record online: 11 APR 2005
- Received 14 October 2004; revised 20 December 2004; accepted 4 January 2005.
- 2004. Detection of dentin sialoprotein in rat periodontium. Eur. J. Oral Sci. 112, 163–170. , , et al.
- 2000. A transmission electron microscope study using vitrified ice sections of predentin: structural changes in the dentin collagenous matrix prior to mineralization. J. Struct. Biol. 132, 212–225. , , &
- 1999. Sequential expression of matrix protein in developing rat teeth. Matrix Biol. 18, 133–143. , , , &
- 1997. Comparative analysis of transforming growth factor-beta isoforms 1–3 in human and rabbit dentine matrices. Arch. Oral Biol. 42, 219–223. , , &
- 2003. Cadherin-related neuronal receptors in incisor development. J. Dent Res. 82, 17–22. , , , , &
- 2000. Postnatal human dental pulp stem cells (DPSCs) in vitro and in vivo. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97, 13625–13630. , , , &
- 2004. Differential expression patterns of the dentin matrix proteins during mineralized tissue formation. Bone. 34, 921–932. , , &
- 2004. TGF-beta activated Smad signalling leads to a Smad3-mediated down-regulation of DSPP in an odontoblast cell line. Arch. Oral Biol. 49, 911–918. , , , , &
- 2002. Differentiation plasticity of chondrocytes derived from mouse embryonic stem cells. J. Cell Sci. 115 (23), 4617–4628. , , et al.
- 1998. Reparative dentin formation in rat molars after direct pulp capping with growth factors. J. Endod. 24, 744–751. , , &
- 2004. Dentin regeneration by dental pulp stem cell therapy with recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein 2. J. Dent Res. 83, 590–595. , , , , &
- 2002. TGF-beta-3 promotes scarless repair of cleft lip in mouse fetuses. J. Dent Res. 81, 688–694. , , , &
- 1998. Chondrogenic differentiation of cultured human mesenchymal stem cells from marrow. Tissue Eng. 4, 415–428. , , , , &
- 1998. TGF-beta signal transduction. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 67, 753–791.
- 2004. New insight into progenitor/stem cells in dental pulp using Col1a1-GFP transgenes. Cells Tissues Organs 176, 120–133. &
- 2002. Induction of dental pulp stem cell differentiation into odontoblasts by electroporation-mediated gene delivery of growth/differentiation factor 11 (Gdf11). Gene Ther. 9, 814–818. , , &
- 1994. Regulatory role of transforming growth factor-beta, bone morphogenetic protein-2, and protein-4 on gene expression of extracellular matrix proteins and differentiation of dental pulp cells. Dev. Biol. 162, 18–28. , , &
- 1998. Transforming growth factor-beta superfamily members expressed in rat incisor pulp. Arch. Oral Biol. 43, 745–751. , , &
- 2001. Differentiation of embryonic mesenchymal cells to odontoblast-like cells by overexpression of dentin matrix protein 1. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98, 4516–4521. , , , &
- 1999. Convergence of the BMP and EGF signaling pathways on Smad1 in the regulation of chondrogenesis. Int. J. Dev Biol. 43, 795–807. , , et al.
- 1997. Dentin sialoprotein (DSP) transcripts: developmentally-sustained expression in odontoblasts and transient expression in pre-ameloblasts. Eur. J. Oral Sci. 105, 405–413. , , et al.
- 1993. Physiological actions and clinical applications of transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-beta). Growth Factors 8, 1–9. &
- 2003. Controlling mesenchymal stem cell differentiation by TGFBeta family members. J. Orthop Sci. 8, 740–748. Review. &
- 1998. Differential effects of various growth factors and cytokines on the syntheses of DNA, type I collagen, laminin, fibronectin, osteonectin/secreted protein, acidic and rich in cysteine (SPARC), and alkaline phosphatase by human pulp cells in culture. J. Cell Physiol. 174, 194–205. , , et al.
- 1994. Transforming growth factor-beta-1 reduces alkaline phosphatase mRNA and activity and stimulates cell proliferation in cultures of human pulp cells. J. Dent Res. 73, 1509–1514. , , et al.
- 2000. Craniofacial development and patterning. Meth. Mol. Biol. 136, 45–54. , &
- 2001. Expression of TGF-beta receptors I and II in the human dental pulp by in situ hybridization. Adv. Dent Res. 15, 63–67. , , , , &
- 2000. Transforming growth factor-beta isoform expression in mature human healthy and carious molar teeth. Histochem. J. 32, 247–252. , , &
- 1999. Stimulation of the dentine-pulp complex of rat incisor teeth by transforming growth factor-beta isoforms 1–3 in vitro. Arch. Oral Biol. 44, 149–156. &
- 2002. Pulpal responses to caries and dental repair. Caries Res. 36, 223–232.
- 2003. Dentin sialophosphoprotein knockout mouse teeth display widened predentin zone and develop defective dentin mineralization similar to human dentinogenesis imperfecta type III. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 24874–24880. , , et al.
- 2001. Reduced expression of dentin sialophosphoprotein is associated with dysplastic dentin in mice overexpressing transforming growth factor-beta 1 in teeth. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 11016–11020. , , , &
- 1997a. Temporal changes in expression of transforming growth factor-beta superfamily members and their receptors during bovine preodontoblast differentiation in vitro. Arch. Oral Biol. 42, 481–488. , , &
- 1997b. Expression of TGF-beta superfamily receptors in dental pulp. J. Dent Res. 76, 1555–1560. , , &
- 2000. Designing new treatment strategies in vital pulp therapy. J. Dent. 28, 77–92. , &
- 2002. TGF beta-1 downregulates DMP-1 and DSPP in odontoblasts. Connect Tissue Res. 43, 354–358. , , &
- 1991. Associations between transforming growth factor beta 1 RNA expression and epithelial–mesenchymal interactions during tooth morphogenesis. Development 113, 985–994. , &
- 1985. Differentiation of pulpal cells and inductive influences of various matrices with reference to pulpal wound healing. J. Dent Res. 64, 530–540.
- 2004. Laminin is essential for odontoblast differentiation regulating dentin sialoprotein expression. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 10286–10292. , , et al.