How nurses address the burden of disease in remote or isolated areas in Queensland
Article first published online: 20 SEP 2010
© 2010 Blackwell Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
International Journal of Nursing Practice
Volume 16, Issue 5, pages 472–477, October 2010
How to Cite
Al-Motlaq, M., Mills, J., Birks, M. and Francis, K. (2010), How nurses address the burden of disease in remote or isolated areas in Queensland. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16: 472–477. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.001871.x
- Issue published online: 20 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 20 SEP 2010
- Accepted for publication February 2010
- 1The Burden of Disease and Injury in Australia 2003. AIHW Cat. No. PHE82. Canberra: AIHW, 2007., , , , , .
- 2Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Australia's Health 2008. Cat. No. AUS 99. Canberra: AIHW, 2008.
- 4New Developments in Primary Healthcare Policy and Quality Improvement Processes. Paper presented at the General Practice Queensland Forum, 2008..
- 5National Rural Health Alliance. Action on Nursing in Rural and Remote Areas 2002–2003: Recommendations and Action Plan, Including Drafts of the Issues Paper, Vision and Required Conditions and Key Recommendations. 2002. Available from URL: http://nrha.ruralhealth.org.au/cms/uploads/publications/7_nursing.pdf. Accessed March 2009.
- 6Health Determinants Queensland 2004 Public Health Services. Brisbane, Australia: Queensland Health, 2004., , et al.
- 7Health in Rural and Remote Australia. AIHW Cat. No. PHE6. Canberra: AIHW, 1998., , , .
- 11Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Rural, Regional and Remote Health: Indicators of Health System Performance. Rural Health Series No. 10. Cat. No. PHE103. Canberra: AIHW, 2008.
- 12Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Rural, Regional and Remote Health: A Study on Mortality, 2nd edn. Rural Health Series No. 8. Cat. No. PHE95. Canberra: AIHW, 2007.
- 13Access Economics. The Prevalence, Cost and Disease Burden of Arthritis in Australia. Prepared for the Arthritis Foundation of Australia, 2001.
- 14Australian Bureau of Statistics. Causes of Death, Australia, 2006. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, No. 3303.0, 2006.
- 15Wowan/Dululu Community Volunteer Group. Chronic illnesses in rural and remote Queensland communities using two sample units. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health 2005; 36: 1275–1282., ,
- 21The Canadian Nurses Association. Chronic disease and nursing: A summary of the issues. Canadian Nurses Association Backgrounder 2005; Available from URL: http://www.cna-nurses.ca/cna/documents/pdf/publications/BG3_chronic_disease_and_nursing_e.pdf. Accessed March 2009.
- 22Australian Bureau of Statistics. Population Distribution, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians 2006, August 2007. Available from URL: http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/4705.0Main%20Features12006?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=4705.0&issue=2006&num=&view. Accessed March 2009.
- 25The Australian Bureau of Statistics and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The Health and Welfare of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. ABS Cat. No. 4704.0 AIHW Cat. No. IHW21. Canberra: AIHW, 2005.
- 28Reorientating Health Services in Remote North Queensland to Better Address Indigenous Health. Available from URL: http://www.abc.net.au/rural/events/ruralhealth/2005/papers/reorientingservices.pdf. Accessed March 2009..
- 31The Australian Government. National Primary Health Care Strategy, 2008. Available from URL: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ministers/publishing.nsf/Content/B4A80E351771DC0DCA25746700143A54/$File/nr096.pdf. Accessed March 2009.
- 32Nursing in Remote or Isolated Areas of Queensland: A Multiple Case Study. Churchill, Australia: School of Nursing and Midwifery, Monash University, 2008., , , , .
- 33Multiple Case Study Analysis. New York: Guilford, 2006..
- 35The Burden of Disease and Injury in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples: Summary Report. Brisbane, Australia: School of Population Health, The University of Queensland, 2007., , , .
- 36Primary health care system. In: WillsE, ReynoldsL, KeleherH (eds). Understanding the Australian Health Care System. Sydney: Churchill Livingstone, 2009; 33–43..
- 37The role of the nurse in health promotion. Health Promotion International 1990; 5: 137–143., .
- 39The development of family health nurses and family nurse practitioners in remote and rural Australia. Australian Family Physician 2003; 32: 750–752., , .