Conflict of Interest Notification: None.
Health service delivery for newly arrived refugee children: A framework for good practice
Version of Record online: 7 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Paediatrics and Child Health Division (Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
Volume 46, Issue 10, pages 560–567, October 2010
How to Cite
Woodland, L., Burgner, D., Paxton, G. and Zwi, K. (2010), Health service delivery for newly arrived refugee children: A framework for good practice. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 46: 560–567. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1754.2010.01796.x
- Issue online: 7 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 7 JUL 2010
- Accepted for publication 11 February 2010.
- 1Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship [DIAC]. Settlement reporting facility. 2009. Available from: http://www.settlement.immi.gov.au/settlement/enterSelectReport.doc[accessed 8 January 2009].
- 2NSW Health Department. Strategic Directions in Refugee Health Care in NSW. NSW Health Department, 1999. State Health Publication No: (HSP) 980132.
- 17on behalf of Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases (ASID). Guidelines for the diagnosis, management and prevention of infections in recently arrived refugees. Available from: http://www.asid.net.au/downloads/RefugeeGuidelines.pdf[accessed 15 February 2009], , ,
- 19Working Group of the Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society, Endocrine Society of Australia, Osteoporosis Australia. Vitamin D and adult bone health in Australia and New Zealand: a position statement. Med. J. Aust. 2005; 182: 281–5.
- 23Victorian Government Department of Human Services. Victorian Refugee Health and Wellbeing Action Plan 2005–08. State of Victoria, Department of Human Services, November 2008. Available from: http://www.dhs.vic.gov.au/multicultural/downloads/refugee_act_pln_web.pdf[accessed 20 February 2009].
- 27Psychological well being of child and adolescent refugee and asylum seekers: overview of major research findings of the past ten years. Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Report, National Inquiry into Children in Immigration Detention. 2002. Available from: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/human_rights/children_detention/psy_review.html[accessed 12 January 2009]., .
- 31National Resource Centre for Consumer Participation in Health. The Evidence Supporting Consumer Participation in Health. Latrobe University, 2001. Available from: http://www.healthissuescentre.org.au/documents/items/2008/08/226174-upload-00001.pdf[accessed 15 September 2008].
- 32Consumer Participation and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Communities: A Discussion Paper. Health Issues Centre, La Trobe University, 2007. Available from: http://www.healthissuescentre.org.au/documents/items/2008/04/203594-upload-00001.pdf[accessed 16 February 2009]., , .
- 34Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs. The Longitudinal Survey of Immigrants to Australia, 1993–1995. Available from: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/research/lsia/lsia01.htm[accessed 24 September 2008].
- 37Dichotomy or decision-making; specialisation and mainstreaming in health service design for refugees. In: AlloteyP, ed. The Health of Refugees: Public Health Perspectives from Crisis to Resettlement. South Melbourne: Oxford Press, 2003; 123–38., .
- 38United Nations, Declaration of the Rights of the Child. 1959; Available from: http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/25.htm[accessed 7 February 2009].
- 39Alliance of Health Professionals Concerned About the Health of Asylum Seekers and Their Children. Submission to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission. Inquiry into Children in Immigration Detention. May 2002; Available from: http://www.cpmc.edu.au/docs/hreoc_submission.pdf[accessed 7 February 2009].
- 40The health needs of children and youth in detention. What we know . . . What we do not know . . . and what we should do about it. In Asylum Seekers and Refugees: Issues of Mental Health and Wellbeing. BarnesD, ed. Sydney: Transcultural Mental Health Centre, 2003., .
- 42Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission. A last resort? Guide to the national inquiry into children in immigration detention. Australian Human Rights Commission, 2004. Available from: http://www.hreoc.gov.au/human_rights/children_detention_report/report/index.htm[accessed 12 February 2009.