Oesophageal complication from button battery ingestion in an infant
Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health © 2012 Paediatrics and Child Health Division (Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health
Volume 49, Issue 4, pages 330–332, April 2013
How to Cite
Liao, A. Y. and McDonald, D. (2013), Oesophageal complication from button battery ingestion in an infant. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 49: 330–332. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1754.2012.02511.x
- Issue published online: 11 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 31 JUL 2012
- Accepted for publication 4 November 2011.
- button battery ingestion;
- disc battery ingestion;
- oesophageal injury
The substantial risks of button battery ingestion in children have been known to clinicians for some time. Modern button batteries are twice as large (20 mm rather than 10 mm) and twice as powerful (3 V rather than 1.5 V) as older batteries. Ingestion of modern batteries causes earlier and more severe tissue injury, as these larger batteries are more likely to impact at areas of physiological narrowing. A high index of suspicion for ingestion, use of appropriate imaging and early removal of batteries is necessary to prevent complications.