How many long-stay schizophrenia patients can be discharged in Japan?
Article first published online: 12 JAN 2007
Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences
Volume 61, Issue 1, pages 71–77, February 2007
How to Cite
OSHIMA, I., MINO, Y. and INOMATA, Y. (2007), How many long-stay schizophrenia patients can be discharged in Japan?. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 61: 71–77. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1819.2007.01613.x
- Issue published online: 12 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 12 JAN 2007
- Received 27 March 2006; revised 29 June 2006; accepted 9 July 2006.
- 2Deinstitutionalization: Promise and Problems. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 2001., .
- 4The TAPS Project: Evaluating community placement of long-stay psychiatric patients. Br. J. Psychiatry 1993; 162 (Suppl. 19): 4–56..
- 7Need for an integrated program of case management and psychoeducation in long stay psychiatric patients in Japan. In : KashimaH, FalloonIRH, MizunoM et al. (eds). Comprehensive Treatment of Schizophrenia: Linking Neurobehavioral Findings to Psychosocial Approaches. Springer, Berlin, 2002; 196–203., , .
- 9OECD. Health Data 2000: A Comparative Analysis of 29 OECD Countries. OECD, Paris, 2000.
- 10The intention of the community living and the idea of the life style after the discharge expressed by long stay patients: An analysis of a nationwide self-rating survey for long stay schizophrenics in about 40,000 psychiatric beds in Japan. Jpn J. Hosp. Commun. Psychiatry 1996; 38: 558–567 (in Japanese)., , et al.
- 11The Countermeasures Headquarter for Mental Health and Welfare Policies, Ministry of Health and Welfare (Seishin Hoken Fukushi Taisakuhonbu). The Vision for Reform in Mental Health and Welfare Policies in Japan. Department of Health, Welfare, and Labor, Tokyo, 2004.
- 12Ministry of Health and Welfare. Patient Survey 1996. Statistics and Information Department, Minister’s Secretariat, Ministry of Health and Welfare, Tokyo, 1999 (in Japanese).
- 13Zenkaren Health and Welfare Research Institute (ZHWRI). Current Status of People with Severe Mental Illnesses in Japan: An Analysis of Nationwide Statistics. Zenkaren Health and Welfare Institute Monograph No. 26. Zenkaren, Tokyo, 2000 (in Japanese).
- 14American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-III-R), 3rd edn revised. APA, Washington, DC, 1998.
- 17Japan Extensive Study of Schizophrenia (JESS): A summary of the previous JESS and a primary statistical study of JESS-2000. In : UrataJ (ed.). Studies on Clinical Features, Treatment, and Rehabilitation of Schizophrenia: Final Report of the National Project Team. NCNP, Tokyo, 2001; 25–31 (in Japanese)., , et al.
- 21Institutionalism and Schizophrenia. Cambridge University Press, London, 1970., .
- 22Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Japan: New Plan for the Disabled. Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, Tokyo, 2002.