Effects of loss from suicide, accidents, acute illness and chronic illness on bereaved spouses and parents in Japan: Their general health, depressive mood, and grief reaction
Article first published online: 14 SEP 2007
Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences
Volume 61, Issue 5, pages 502–508, October 2007
How to Cite
MIYABAYASHI, S. and YASUDA, J. (2007), Effects of loss from suicide, accidents, acute illness and chronic illness on bereaved spouses and parents in Japan: Their general health, depressive mood, and grief reaction. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 61: 502–508. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1819.2007.01699.x
- Issue published online: 14 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 14 SEP 2007
- Received 5 October 2006; revised 25 May 2007; accepted 17 June 2007.
- 1Clinical Management of Bereavement: A Handbook for Healthcare Professionals. Human Science Press, New York, 1989., .
- 2Grief as emotion and disease. In : StroebeMS, StroebeW, HanssonRO (eds). Handbook of Bereavement: Theory, Research, and Intervention. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993; 77–90., .
- 3Recovery from Bereavement. Basic Books, New York, 1983., .
- 4Bereavement: Studies of Grief in Adult Life, 3rd edn. Routledge, New York, 1996..
- 5Bereavement. In : HarveyJH, MillerED (eds). Loss and Trauma: General and Close Relationship Perspectives. Taylor & Francis, Philadelphia, PA, 2000; 45–61., .
- 6Sudden Death: A Research Base for Practice, 2nd edn. Churchill Livingstone, New York, 1996..
- 8Nihonban GHQ Seishin Kenkoh Chohsahyoh Tebiki. Nihon Bunka Kagakusha, Tokyo, 1985 (in Japanese)., .
- 9Shinri Test. Asakura Shoten, Tokyo, 1999 (in Japanese)., , .
- 10Reliability and validity of Kasahara's Depression Inventory. Jpn. J. Clin. Psychiatry 1999; 28: 555–562 (in Japanese)., , , .
- 11Substructure of Japanese grief reaction and grief care. Ochanomizu Med. J. 2003; 51: 27–45 (in Japanese)..
- 12Izokuno sohshitsu, hitanno shien. In: OkadoT, UenoH, ShigaN (eds). Byohkito Itamino Shinri.Shibundo, Tokyo, 2000; 243–253 (in Japanese)..
- 13Secondary stressors and mental health after bereavement: Comparison between spouses and children. Jpn. J. Fam. Psychol. 2001; 15: 13–24 (in Japanese)..
- 14Psychological responses to bereavement: A preliminary examination. Bull. Sociol. Toyo Univ. 2004; 42: 63–84 (in Japanese)., , .
- 15Haiguushatono shibetsu: Sono shinrito taioh. In: DeekenA, ShigekaneY (eds). Hanryoni Sakidatareta Toki. Shunjuusha, Tokyo, 1988; 4–57 (in Japanese)..
- 17Bereavement and Adaptation: A Comparative Study of the Aftermath of Death. Hemisphere, Washington, DC, 1993..
- 20Widow's grief: The impact of age and mode of death. Omega 1977; 7: 307–333..
- 26Parents' responses to the death of adult children from accidents and cancer: A comparison. Omega 1987; 17: 289–297., , .
- 28Gender differences through two years of bereavement among the elderly. Gerontologist 1986; 23: 314–320., , .
- 29Bereavement by suicide: The effect of a suicidal death upon surviving relatives. Bereavement Care 1983; 2: 6–7..
- 32Risk factors in bereavement outcome. In: StroebeMS, StroebeW, HanssonRO (eds). Handbook of Bereavement: Theory, Research, and Intervention.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1993; 255–267..
- 35An empirical search for stages of widowhood. Omega 1980; 11: 97–104., .