Improving chronic lung disease management in rural and remote Australia: The Breathe Easy Walk Easy programme
Article first published online: 26 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Respirology © 2012 Asian Pacific Society of Respirology
Volume 18, Issue 1, pages 161–169, January 2013
How to Cite
JOHNSTON, C. L., MAXWELL, L. J., BOYLE, E., MAGUIRE, G. P. and ALISON, J. A. (2013), Improving chronic lung disease management in rural and remote Australia: The Breathe Easy Walk Easy programme. Respirology, 18: 161–169. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1843.2012.02269.x
- Issue published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 26 DEC 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 19 SEP 2012 07:17AM EST
- Received 18 April 2012; invited to revise 16 May 2012; revised 7 June 2012; accepted 22 June 2012 (Associate Editor: Neil Eves).
- 2Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW). Australia's Health 2010. Australia's Health no. 12. Cat. no. AUS 122. AIHW, Canberra, 2010.
- 3The Asia Pacific COPD Roundtable Group. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an Asia–Pacific perspective. Respirology 2005; 10: 9–17.
- 10Atlas of Avoidable Hospitalisations in Australia: Ambulatory Care-Sensitive Conditions. Adelaide Public Health Information Development Unit, University of Adelaide, Adelaide, 2007., , et al.
- 11Population Health Division. The Health of the People of New South Wales—Report of the Chief Health Officer, Data Book: Burden of Disease. NSW Department of Health, Sydney, 2008.
- 13National Clinical Guideline Centre. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in adults in primary and secondary care. 2010. [Accessed 13 April 2012.] Available from URL: http://guidance.nice.org.uk/CG101/Guidance/pdf/English
- 14Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). GOLD Guideline: from the Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management and Prevention of COPD. 2010. [Accessed 13 April 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.goldcopd.org/
- 15The COPD-X plan: Australian and New Zealand Guidelines for the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. [Accessed 13 April 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.copdx.org.au/, , et al.
- 16Canadian Thoracic Society recommendations for management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease—2007 update. Can. Respir. J. 2007; 14 (Suppl. SB): 15B–32B., , et al.
- 22Australian Lung Foundation. Pulmonary rehabilitation survey. 2007. [Accessed 12 April 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.lungfoundation.com.au/images/stories/docs/ALF_PulmonRehab_Report_FINAL_200707.pdf
- 24Physician and patient perceptions in COPD: the COPD resource network needs assessment survey. Am. J. Med. 2005; 118: 1415.e9–17., , et al.
- 25Knowledge and attitudes of family physicians coming to COPD continuing medical education. Int. J. COPD 2008; 3: 311–7., .
- 26Management of COPD according to guidelines. A national survey among Belgian physicians. Monaldi Arch. Chest Dis. 2003; 59: 62–80., , et al.
- 32Pulmonary rehabilitation in resource poor settings. Ind. J. Chest Dis. Allied Sci. 2011; 53: 163–72., .
- 34The Australian Lung Foundation. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Toolkit. 2009. [Accessed 15 Apr 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.pulmonaryrehab.com; on behalf of
- 35The Australian Lung Foundation. Breathe Easy Walk Easy. Available from URL: http://www.lungfoundation.com.au/professional-resources/pulmonary-rehabilitation-co-ordinators/breathe-easy-walk-easy
- 44Continuing education meetings and workshops: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2009; (2): Art. No.: CD003030. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003030.pub2., , et al.
- 46Interventions for increasing the proportion of health professionals practising in rural and other underserved areas. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2009; (1): Art. No.:CD005314. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005314.pub2., , et al.
- 47AIHW. Australian Hospital Statistics 2007–2008. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Canberra, 2009.
- 48Pulmonary rehabilitation following exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2011; (10): Art. No.: CD005305. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD005305.pub3., , et al.
- 49Management of COPD in general practice in Denmark—participating in an educational program substantially improves adherence to guidelines. Int. J. COPD 2010; 5: 73–9., , et al.
- 50Workshops to disseminate the Canadian Thoracic Society Guidelines to health care professionals in Ontario: impact on knowledge, perceived health care practices and participant satisfaction. Can. Respir. J. 2009; 16: 81–5., , et al.