Stuart Cowell is Beyond the Boundaries Coordinator with the Australian Bush Heritage Fund (PO Box 356, Lenah Valley, Tasmania 7008 Australia. Tel. +61 36228 5645. Email: email@example.com) and Chris Williams is Conservation Manager with Trust for Nature, Victoria (2/385 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne Victoria 3000 Australia. Tel. +61 39670 9933. Email:firstname.lastname@example.org). This article arose from requests for information on the Trusts and their emerging role in securing conservation management on privately owned land.
Conservation through buyer-diversity: A key role for not-for-profit land-holding organizations in Australia
Article first published online: 9 MAR 2006
Ecological Management & Restoration
Volume 7, Issue 1, pages 5–20, April 2006
How to Cite
Cowell, S. and Williams, C. (2006), Conservation through buyer-diversity: A key role for not-for-profit land-holding organizations in Australia. Ecological Management & Restoration, 7: 5–20. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2006.00242.x
- Issue published online: 9 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 9 MAR 2006
- CSIRO and the Ian Potter Foundation (2000) Landscape Conservation and the Non-government Sector. Research Report 7/00. Report to the Land and Water Resources R&D Corporation and Environment Australia National Program on Rehabilitation, Management and Conservation of Remnant Vegetation. Land and Water Resources R&D Corporation, Canberra. and ,
- 2004) Memo for a Saner World. Penguin Books, Melbourne. (
- 2005) Local provenance in rehabilitation of degraded landscapes: a case study from the Hawkesbury-Nepean catchment, Australia. Area 37, 324–331. , and (
- Commonwealth of Australia (1999) Australian Guidelines for Establishing the National Reserve System. Environment Australia, Canberra.
- Department of Environment and Heritage and Trust for Nature (2005) Gifts That Keep on Giving: A Landholders Guide to Land Protection and Conservation Options. Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
- Department of Natural Resources and Environment (2002) Native Vegetation Management – A Framework for Action. Victorian Government, Melbourne.
- 2001) Institutions for Sustainability. Tela Issue 7. Australian Conservation Foundation, Melbourne. (
- 2004) Conservation on Private Lands: The Australian Experience. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, and Cambridge, UK. (
- 2005) Landcare and private conservation trusts: Fertile common ground? Ecological Management and Restoration 7, 3–4. (
- 2005) Productive partnerships/creative solutions – Trust for Nature and DSE working together. Conservation Bulletin 32 , 4–5. Trust for Nature, Melbourne. and (
- 2002) Policy implications of the transfer of ownership of Scotia Sanctuary for the National Reserve System in Australia. Environmental and Planning Law Journal 19, 329–332. and (
- 2005) History and attributes of selected Australian multi-tenure reserve networks. Australian Geographer 36 (1), 75–93. and (
- 2000) Protecting the Land: Conservation Easements, Past, Present and Future. Island Press, Washington, DC. and (
- 1995) Development and conservation in Queensland: environmental racism? In: Ecopolitics IX: Perspectives on Indigenous Peoples Management of Environmental Resources. Conference Papers and Resolutions (eds R.Sultan, P.Josif, C.Mackinbolty and J. Mackinolty) pp. 108–112. Northern Land Council, Casuarina. (
- 2005) Into the breach. The Financial Review 21 Jun., p. 20. (
- HRSCEH (House of Representatives Standing Committee on Environment and Heritage) (2001) Public Good Conservation: Our Challenge for the 21st Century. Interim Report of the Inquiry into the Effects upon Landholders and Farmers of Public Good Conservation Measures Imposed by Australian Governments. Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
- Public interest or private agenda? A meditation on the role of NGOs in environmental policy and management in Australia. Journal of Rural Studies. and (in press)
- 2002) Conservation partnerships and recent revolving fund initiatives. In: Partnerships and Planning: Nature Conservation on Private Land (ed. Nature Foundation SA Inc), pp. 59–61. Proceedings of national forum, Adelaide Entertainment Centre August 12–15, 2002. Nature Foundation SA, Adelaide, SA. (
- 2002) A Clash of Paradigms: Community and Research-based Conservation. Royal Zoological Society of New South Wales, Marrickville, NSW. , and (eds) (
- National Land and Water Resources Audit (2002) Australian Terrestrial Biodiversity Assessment 2002. National Land and Water Resources Audit, Canberra (accessed 7 December 2005 http://audit.ea.gov.au/ANRA/vegetation/docs/biodiversity/).
- Natural Resource Management Ministerial Council (2004) Directions for the National Reserve System – A Partnership Approach. Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
- 2005) Dollars and sense. Nature 437, 614–616. (
- 2005) Community-driven stewardship of an Australian government protected area. In: The Urban Imperative (ed. T.Trzyna). California Institute of Public Affairs, Sacramento, CA. Available from URL: http://www.interenvironment.org/po/parker.htm and (
- 2002) Setting Biodiversity Priorities. A paper prepared as part of the activities of the working group producing the report Sustaining our Natural Systems and Biodiversity. Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and. Innovation Council, Canberra. , , and (
- Productivity Commissions (2001) Constraints on Private Conservation of Biodiversity. Commission Research Paper, AusInfo, Canberra.
- 2003) Confusing means with ends: a manager's reflections on experience in agricultural landscapes of Western Australia. Ecological Management and Restoration. 4, 23–29. (
- 2004) Old Land, New Landscapes: A Story of Farmers, Conservation and the Landcare Movement. Melbourne University Press, Carlton, Victoria. (
- 1993) Competing Interests: Aboriginal Participation in National Parks and Conservation Reserves in Australia – a Review. Australian Conservation Foundation, Fitzroy, Victoria. , , and (