Richard Thackway is the project manager for vegetation information with the Bureau of Rural Sciences (GPO Box 858, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia. Tel. +61 26272 4856. Fax +61 2 6272 3882. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Robert Lesslie is the project manager for land use and land management with the Bureau of Rural Sciences. (GPO Box 858, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia. Email: email@example.com). The VAST project is part of the Forest and Vegetation Sciences programme and was funded by the Natural Heritage Trust.
Reporting vegetation condition using the Vegetation Assets, States and Transitions (VAST) framework
Article first published online: 11 MAY 2006
Ecological Management & Restoration
Volume 7, Issue Supplement s1, pages S53–S62, June 2006
How to Cite
Thackway, R. and Lesslie, R. (2006), Reporting vegetation condition using the Vegetation Assets, States and Transitions (VAST) framework. Ecological Management & Restoration, 7: S53–S62. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2006.00292.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAY 2006
- Article first published online: 11 MAY 2006
- 1992) Temporal trends in plant species composition on mined sand dunes in Myall Lakes National Park, Australia. Australian Journal of Ecology 17, 241–254. and (
- 1977) Mechanisms of succession in natural communities and their role in community stability and organization. American Naturalist 111, 1119–1114. and (
- DIPNR (Department of Infrastructure Planning and Natural Resources) (2002a) Native Vegetation Mapping Program – North-Lachlan Bogan Gate Area. Department of Infrastructure Planning and Natural Resources, Sydney.
- DIPNR (Department of Infrastructure Planning and Natural Resources) (2002b) North-Lachlan Bogan Vegetation Mapping Survey 1: 100 000 Map Sheets. Department Infrastructure Planning Natural Resources, Newcastle.
- ESCAVI (Executive Steering Committee for Australian Vegetation Information) (2003) Australian Vegetation Attribute Manual, Version 6.0. Department of Environment and Heritage, Canberra.
- 2004) Biometric Decision Support Tool, Version 1.4. NSW Department of Environment and Conservation, Canberra. , , , and (
- Vegetation. In: Australian Soil and Land Survey Handbook, 3rd edn (eds R. C.McDonald, R. F.Isbell, J. G.Speight, R. J.Hnatiuk, R.Thackway and J.Walker). CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne. , and (in press)
- 1996) Towards a conceptual framework for restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 4, 1–19. and (
- 2004) Quantifying vertical forest stand structure using small footprint lidar to assess potential stand dynamics. Proceedings, NATSCAN – Laser scanners for forest and landscape assessment instruments, processing methods and applications 3–6 October, Freiburg, Germany. International Archives of Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences 36, 213–217. , and (
- 1997) An alternative to succession, assembly rules offer guide to restoration efforts. Restoration Ecology 15, 45–50. (
- 1999) Ecosystem Management: Questions for Science and Society. Royal Holloway Institute for Environmental Research, University of London, Egham. , , and (
- 1996) Ecosystem resilience and the restoration of damaged plant communities: A discussion focusing on Australian case studies. PhD Dissertation, University of Western Sydney. (
- 2000) Strategies for the ecological restoration of woodland plant communities: Harnessing natural resilience. In: Temperate Eucalypt Woodlands in Australia: Biology, Conservation, Management and Restoration (eds R. J.Hobbs and C. J.Yates), pp. 286–297. Surrey Beatty & Sons, Chipping Norton. (
- 2005) Establishment of native grassland vegetation at Organ Pipes National Park near Melbourne, Victoria: vegetation changes from 1989 to 2003. Ecological Restoration and Management 6, 34–42. and (
- 1999) A framework for conceptualising human impacts on landscapes and its relevance to management and research models. Conservation Biology 13, 1282–1292. and (
- 2000) Human impacts on landscapes: matrix condition and management priorities. In: Nature Conservation 5: Nature Conservation in Production Environments (eds J.Craig, N.Mitchell and D. A.Saunders), pp. 301–307. Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton. and (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Biodiversity Synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington. Available from URL: http://www.millenniumassessment.org/en/products.aspx.
- NFI (National Forest Inventory) (2003) Continental Forest Monitoring Framework – Background, Concept and Rationale. Technical Paper 1. Bureau of Rural Sciences, Canberra.
- NLWRA (National Land and Water Resources Audit) (2005) Status of Natural Resource Information: To Underpin the National Natural Resource Management Monitoring and Evaluation Framework. May 2005. National Land and Water Resources Audit, Canberra.
- 2003) Assessing the quality of native vegetation: the ‘habitat hectares’ approach. Ecological Management & Restoration 4, 29–38. , and (
- Society for Ecological Restoration International Science and Policy Working Group (2004) The SER International Primer on Ecological Restoration. Society for Ecological Restoration International, Tucson.
- 2005) Vegetation Assets, States and Transitions (VAST): Accounting for Vegetation Condition in the Australian Landscape. Bureau of Rural Sciences, Canberra. Available from URL: http://www.affa.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=A3D50188-7FC0-48E4-BBB4278D49B81C1B. and (
- 2004) Integrated Regional Vegetation Information – A Compilation of Vegetation Types for National Action Plan and Natural Heritage Trust Regions. Bureau of Rural Sciences, Canberra. , and (
- 2005) Measuring Ecosystem Health and Natural Resource Productivity – Vegetation Condition as an Indicator of Sustainable, Productive Ecosystems. Bureau of Rural Sciences, Canberra. , and (
- 2001) Use of Airborne Scanning Lidar and Large Scale Photography within a Strategic Forest Inventory and Monitoring Framework. In: IEEE 2001 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) 9–13 July 2001. University of New South Wales, Sydney. Available from URL: http://www.affa.gov.au/corporate_docs/publications/pdf/rural_science/forest_vegetation/igarss_paper.pdf. , , , , and (
- 1977) Soil and Vegetation Systems Contemporary Problems in Ecology. Clarendon Press, Oxford. (
- 1987) FOL-Prof: a Fortran-77 Package for the Generation of Foliage Profiles Part 1. User Manual. Technical Memorandum: (87/9). Division of Water Resources Research, CSIRO, Australia. and (
- 1990) Vegetation. In: Australian Soil and Land Survey Handbook: Guidelines for Conducting Surveys (eds R. H.Gunn, J. A.Beattie, R. E.Reid and R. H. M.Van De Graaff), pp. 58–86. Inkata Press, Melbourne. and (
- 1986) Resilience concepts and measures. In: Resilience in Mediterranean-Type Ecosystems (eds B.Dell, A. J. M.Hopkins and B. B.Lamont), pp. 5–19. Junk Publishers, Dordrecht. (
- 1989) Opportunistic management for rangelands not at equilibrium. Journal of Range Management 42 (4), 266–274. , and (
- 2003) Measuring success: Evaluating the restoration of a grassy eucalypt woodland on the Cumberland Plain, Sydney, Australia. Restoration Ecology 11 (4), 489–503. , and (
- 2004) Metrics for assessing the biodiversity values of farming systems and agricultural landscapes. Pacific Conservation Biology 10, 145–163. (