Offsets for land clearing: No net loss or the tail wagging the dog?
Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2007
Ecological Management & Restoration
Volume 8, Issue 1, pages 26–31, April 2007
How to Cite
Gibbons, P. and Lindenmayer, D. B. (2007), Offsets for land clearing: No net loss or the tail wagging the dog?. Ecological Management & Restoration, 8: 26–31. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2007.00328.x
- Issue online: 9 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2007
- Auditor-General of New South Wales (2006) Regulating the Clearing of Native Vegetation. Follow-up of 2002 Performance Audit. The Audit Office of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW.
- Australian Greenhouse Office (2000) Land Clearing: A Social History. Environment Australia, Canberra, ACT.
- Australian Greenhouse Office (2005) Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Land Use Change in Australia: Results of the National Carbon Accounting System 1988–2003. Department of the Environment and Heritage, Canberra, ACT.
- Australian State of the Environment Committee (2001) Australia State of the Environment 2001: Independent Report to the Commonwealth Minister for the Environment and Heritage. CSIRO Publishing on behalf of the Department of the Environment and Heritage, Collingwood, Vic.
- 1999) Linkages in the Landscape. The Roles of Corridors and Connectivity in Wildlife Conservation. International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Gland, Switzerland. (
- 2005) The Conservation Value of Paddock Trees. A Review Prepared for Land & Water Australia and the South Australian Native Vegetation Council. Native Vegetation R&D Program, Land and Water Australia, Canberra, ACT. and (
- 2003) Impacts of Land Clearing on Australian Wildlife in Queensland. WWF Australia, Brisbane, Qld. , , , and (
- Reptile and arboreal marsupial response to replanted vegetation in agricultural landscapes. Ecological Applications. , , , and (in press)
- 2002) Scattered Tree Clearance Assessment in South Australia. Department of Water, Land and Biodiversity Conservation, Adelaide, SA. and (
- Department of Environment and Conservation (NSW) (2005) BioBanking – A Biodiversity Offsets and Banking Scheme. Working Paper, Department of Environment and Conservation (NSW), Sydney, NSW.
- Department of Natural Resources and Environment (2002) Victoria's Native Vegetation Management – A Framework for Action. Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Melbourne, Vic.
- Department of Natural Resources and Mines (2004) State Policy for Vegetation Management. Queensland Government, Brisbane, Qld.
- Department of Natural Resources and Mines (2006) Land Cover Change in Queensland 2003–04: A Statewide Landcover and Trees Study (SLATS), Report Feb., 2006. Department of Natural Resources and Mines, Brisbane, Qld.
- Environment Australia (2001) National Objectives and Targets for Biodiversity Conservation 2001–2005. Environment Australia, Canberra, ACT.
- 2002) Tree Hollows and Wildlife Conservation in Australia. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Vic. and (
- 2005) biometric Version 1.8. A Terrestrial Biodiversity Assessment Tool for the NSW Property Vegetation Plan Developer. Department of Environment and Conservation, Sydney, NSW. , , , and (
- 2005) Farming and the fate of wild nature. Science 307, 550–555. , , and (
- 2005) No net loss of fish habitat: a review and analysis of habitat compensation in Canada. Environmental Management 36, 343–355. and (
- 2005) The myths of restoration ecology. Ecology and Society 10, 19. [Cited 31 Jan 2007.] Available from URL: http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol10/iss1/art19/. , and (
- 1978) Adaptive Environmental Assessment and Management. Wiley, Chichester, UK. (ed.) (
- 2004) Biodiversity Offsets: Views, Experience and the Business Case. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources and Insight Investment, London. [Cited 31 Jan 2007.] Available from URL: http://www.eldis.org/static/DOC16610.htm. , and (
- 2004) The conservation implications of bird reproduction in the agricultural ‘matrix’: A case study of the vulnerable superb parrot of south-eastern Australia. Biological Conservation 120, 363–374. , and (
- 2004) The habitat hectares approach to vegetation assessment: An evaluation and suggestions for improvement. Ecological Management & Restoration 5, 24–27. , , et al. (
- 2002) Managing and Conserving Grassy Woodlands. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Vic. , and (
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Biodiversity Synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington, DC.
- 2006) The creation of compensatory habitat – Can it secure sustainable development? Journal for Nature Conservation 14, 106–116. , , and (
- 2002) Sustaining Our Natural Systems and Biodiversity. An Independent Report to the Prime Minister's Science and Engineering Innovation Council. Environment Australia and CSIRO, Canberra, ACT. , , , , and (
- New South Wales Government (2006) Native Vegetation Regulation 2005: Environmental Outcomes Assessment Methodology. NSW Department of Natural Resources, Sydney, NSW.
- 2001) Abundance and decline of isolated trees in the agricultural landscapes of Central New South Wales. Pacific Conservation Biology 7, 195–203. , and (
- 2003) Assessing the quality of native vegetation: The ‘habitat hectares’ approach. Ecological Management & Restoration 4, S29–S38. , and (
- 2002) Harrington Park Stage 2 Ecological Assessment Final Report. Ian Perkins Consultancy Services and Aquila Ecological Surveys, Sydney, NSW. (
- 1996) Fixing compensatory mitigation: What will it take? Ecological Applications 6, 94–101. and (
- 2004) Trees and Biodiversity: A Guide for Australian Farm Forestry. Rural Industries Research Corporation, Joint Agroforestry Program, Canberra, ACT. , and (
- 2006) Resilience Thinking. Sustaining Ecosystems and People in a Changing World. Island Press, Washington, DC. and (
- Wentworth Group of Concerned Scientists (2003) A New Model for Landscape Conservation in New South Wales. WWF Australia, Sydney, NSW.
- 2003) Measuring success: Evaluating the restoration of a grassy eucalypt woodland on the Cumberland Plain, Sydney, Australia. Restoration Ecology 11, 489–503. , and (