Mike Dodd and Ian Power are researchers in the Land & Environmental Management section of AgResearch (Ruakura Research Centre, Private Bag 3123, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand; Tel. +64 7 8385912; Fax: +64 7 8385130; Email: email@example.com). This study was part of an indigenous biodiversity restoration project within a research programme on the management of hill country pastoral systems for multiple outcomes.
Recovery of Tawa-dominated forest fragments in the Rotorua Basin, New Zealand, after cessation of livestock grazing
Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2007
Ecological Management & Restoration
Volume 8, Issue 3, pages 208–217, December 2007
How to Cite
Dodd, M. B. and Power, I. L. (2007), Recovery of Tawa-dominated forest fragments in the Rotorua Basin, New Zealand, after cessation of livestock grazing. Ecological Management & Restoration, 8: 208–217. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2007.00369.x
- Issue online: 29 OCT 2007
- Version of Record online: 29 OCT 2007
- 1993) A Permanent Plot Method for Monitoring Changes in Indigenous Forests. Landcare Research, Christchurch, New Zealand. (
- 2000) Conifers and Cows: Forest survival in a New Zealand dairy landscape. In: Nature Conservation 5. Nature Conservation in Production Environments: Managing the Matrix (eds J. L.Craig, N.Mitchell and D. A.Saunders), pp. 81–89. Surrey Beatty & Sons, Chipping Norton, NSW. , , and (
- 2001) Impact of Cattle on Department of Conservation Grazing Leases in South Westland: Results from Monitoring 1989–99, and Recommendations. Science for Conservation 179. Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand. , , and (
- 1984) Fertiliser and Lime Recommendations for Pasture and Crops in New Zealand (second revised edition). New Zealand Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Wellington, New Zealand. and (
- 2000) Conservation issues in New Zealand. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 31, 61–78. , , , et al . (
- 1988) Forest Vines to Snow Tussocks: The Story of New Zealand Plants. Victoria University Press, Wellington, New Zealand. (
- DoC (2000) The New Zealand Biodiversity Strategy: Our Chance to Turn the Tide. Department of Conservation & Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Environment Waikato (2001) Managing Forest Fragments. Forest fragment management series. Factsheet 3. Environment Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand.
- GenStat Committee (2006) The Guide to genstat Release 9 – Part 2: Statistics. VSN International, Oxford, UK.
- 2000) Native Forest Monitoring. A Guide for Forest Owners and Managers. Forme Consulting Group Ltd, Wellington, New Zealand. (
- 1997) Waikato Protection Strategy. A report to the forest heritage fund committee. Forest Heritage Fund, Wellington, New Zealand. (
- 1983) The impact of introduced herbivores in lowland forests of the North Island. In: Lowland Forests in New Zealand (eds K.Thompson, A. P. H.Hodder and A. S.Edmonds), pp. 135–152. University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand. (
- 2003) Land Environments of New Zealand. David Bateman Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand. , , et al . (
- Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research (20022006) Nga Tipu Aotearoa – New Zealand Plants. Available from URL: http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/databases/db_details.asp?Database_Collection_ID=3 (accessed 19 November 2006).
- Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research (2006) National Vegetation Survey. Available from URL: http://nvs.landcareresearch.co.nz/ (accessed 19 November 2006).
- 2006) Does cattle grazing facilitate or hinder the recruitment of podocarps in floodplain forest patches, south Westland, New Zealand? Ecological Management & Restoration 7 (3), 232–233. (
- 2000) Some issues and options for the conservation of native biodiversity in rural New Zealand. Ecological Management & Restoration 1 (1), 26–34. and (
- 1983) The patterns, diversity and conservation status of New Zealand's lowland forests. In: Lowland Forests in New Zealand (eds K.Thompson, A. P. H.Hodder and A. S.Edmonds), pp. 153–188. University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand. (
- PCE (2001) Weaving Resilience Into Our Working Lands: Future Roles for Native Plants on Private Land. Parliamentary Commissioner for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 1994) Trees and Shrubs of New Zealand. Manaaki Whenua Press, Lincoln, New Zealand. and (
- 1993) Native Forest Restoration. A practical guide for landowners. QEII National Trust, Wellington, New Zealand. (
- 1979) Soils of Rotorua Lakes District, North Island, New Zealand. N.Z. Soil Survey Report 43. New Zealand Soil Bureau, Wellington, New Zealand. (
- 1978) Effect of trampling by cattle in forest areas. Floresta 9 (1), 19–23. , and (
- 2005) Vegetation recovery in rural kahikatea (Dacrycarpus dacrydioides) forest fragments in the Waikato region, New Zealand, following retirement from grazing. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 29 (2), 261–269. , and (
- 2002) Is fencing enough? The short-term effects of stock exclusion in remnant grassy woodlands in southern NSW. Ecological Management & Restoration 3 (2), 117–126. , and (
- 2004) Changes in phosphorus availability and nutrient status of indigenous forest fragments in pastoral New Zealand hill country. Plant and Soil 262, 317–325. (
- 2002) Assessing the response of forest understoreys to feral goal control with and without possum control. Science for Conservation 210. Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand. and (
- 1992) A review of cattle grazing effects on lake margin vegetation with observations from dune lakes in Northland. New Zealand Natural Sciences 19, 1–14. (
- 2002) Impact of cattle on conservation land licensed for grazing in South Westland. New Zealand Journal of Ecology 26 (2), 107–120. (
- 1994) Bayesian smoothers as an extension of non-linear regression. New Zealand Statistician 29, 66–81. (
- 1984) The New Zealand Beeches. Ecology, Utilisation and Management. New Zealand Forest Service, Christchurch, New Zealand. (
- 2001) Introduced browsing mammals in New Zealand natural forests: Aboveground and belowground consequences. Ecological Monographs 71 (4), 587–614. , , , and (
- 1985) The thinning rule and its application to mixtures of plant populations. In: Studies on Plant Demography (ed. J.White), pp. 291–309. Academic Press, London, UK. (
- 1994) Microclimate and edge effects in a fragmented podocarp-broadleaf forest in New Zealand. Biological Conservation 67 (1), 63–72. and (