Conservation planning in a cross-cultural context: the Wunambal Gaambera Healthy Country Project in the Kimberley, Western Australia
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2012
Journal compilation © 2012 Ecological Society of Australia
Ecological Management & Restoration
Special Issue: Indigenous land and sea management in remote Australia (Guest edited by Dr Emilie Ens)
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 16–25, January 2012
How to Cite
Moorcroft, H., Ignjic, E., Cowell, S., Goonack, J., Mangolomara, S., Oobagooma, J., Karadada, R., Williams, D. and Waina, N. (2012), Conservation planning in a cross-cultural context: the Wunambal Gaambera Healthy Country Project in the Kimberley, Western Australia. Ecological Management & Restoration, 13: 16–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-8903.2011.00629.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2012
- 2008) Foundational myths: country and conservation in Australia. Transforming Cultures eJournal 3(1), 291–317. (
- 1993) Indigenous peoples and conservation. Conservation Biology 7, 424–426, in Berkes (2008) Sacred ecology, pp. 234. Routledge, New York. (
- 2007) The Environmental Significance of the Indigenous Estate: Natural Resource Management as Economic Development in Remote Australia. CAEPR Discussion Paper No. 286/2007. Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, Australian National University, Canberra. , and (
- Australian Government (2010) Australia’s Strategy for the National Reserve System 2009 – 2030. Australian Government, Canberra.
- Australian Government (2011) Conservation of Australia’s Biodiversity. Available from URL: http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/index.html [Accessed 3 October 2011].
- 2008) Sacred Ecology, 2nd edn. Routledge, New York. (
- 2004) Indigenous and Local Communities and Protected Areas: Towards Equity and Enhanced Conservation. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland and Cambridge, UK. , and (
- 2010) Conservation NGOs in sub-Saharan Africa. Antipode 42(3), 551–575. (
- 2005) Healthy country: healthy people? Exploring the health benefits of Indigenous natural resource management. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health 29, 117–122. , , and (
- 2008) Editorial. Culture, nature and landscape in the Australian region. Geoforum 39, 1255–1257. and (
- Dhimurru (2008) IPA Plan of Management 2008 to 2015. Prepared by Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation, Wearne Advisors and Samantha Muller, Nhulunbuy, Northern Territory.
- 2012) Insights into the biodiversity and social benchmarking components of the Northern Australian fire management and carbon abatement programmes. Ecological Management & Restoration 13, 51–57. , , et al. (
- 2002) The economics and politics of wilderness conservation in Australia. Society & Natural Resources 15(2), 147–159. (
- 2011) Towards equity in Indigenous co-management of protected areas: cultural planning by Miriuwung-Gajerrong people in the Kimberley, Western Australia. Geographical Research 49(1), 72–85. (
- 2011) National Guidelines for Indigenous Protected Area Management Plans in Australia. CSIRO Ecosystem Sciences and Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Water, Environment, Population and Communities, Cairns. Draft report presented for consideration at Indigenous Protected Areas manager’s meeting, Booderee National Park, 21-24 March 2011. , , and (
- 2012) Achieving highly successful multiple agency collaborations in a cross-cultural environment: experiences and lessons from Dhimurru Aboriginal Corporation and partners. Ecological Management & Restoration 13, 42–50. , , et al. (
- 2001) Karparti ecology: recognition of Aboriginal ecological knowledge and its application to management in north-western Australia. Ecological Management & Restoration 2(2), 99–109. and (
- 2004) Rethinking the Building Blocks: Management and Indigenous Epistemologies. Paper presented to ‘Processes for cross-cultural engagement’, a special session in the Remote Regions/Northern Development Session of the Western Regional Science Association Meeting, Wailea, Maui, February 2004. and (
- 2009) Cross-cultural approaches to environmental research and management: a response to the dualisms inherent in Western science? Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 39(4), 159–162. and (
- 2006) The role of planning in achieving Indigenous land justice and community goals. Land Use Policy 23, 385–394. (
- 2005) Community-oriented protected areas for Indigenous peoples and local communities. Journal of Political Ecology 12, 23–50. , and (
- National Biodiversity Strategy Review Task Group (2009) Australia’s Biodiversity Conservation Strategy 2010–2020, Consultation Draft. Australian Government, Department of the Environment, Water, Heritage and the Arts, Canberra, ACT.
- 2009) The intersections of biological diversity and cultural diversity: towards integration. Conservation and Society 7(2), 100–112. , , et al. (
- 2009) Finding common ground? Spaces of dialogue and the negotiation of Indigenous interests in environmental campaigns in Australia. Geoforum 40, 66–79. (
- 2012) ‘Looking after country two-ways’: Insights into indigenous community-based conservation from the Southern Tanami. Ecological Management & Restoration 13, 2–15. and (
- 1996) Nourishing Terrains: Australian Aboriginal Views of Landscape and Wilderness. Australian Heritage Commission, Canberra. (
- 2005) An Indigenous philosophical ecology: situating the human. The Australian Journal of Anthropology 16(3), 294–305. (
- 2008) Co-management and Indigenous protected areas in Australia: achievements and ways forward. Paper in special issue: Selected papers from the Australian Protected Areas Congress 2008. Hockings M. and Garven I. (eds). Australasian Journal of Environmental Management 16(4), 242–252. , , , , and (
- 2009) Addressing the social impacts of conservation: lessons from experience and future directions. Conservation and Society 7(1), 26–29. (
- 2004) Collaboration and social inquiry: multiple meanings of a construct and its role in creating useful and valid knowledge. American Journal of Community Psychology 34(1/2), 1–69. and (
- 2007) Wunambal Gaambera Healthy Country Project Brief. Unpublished report for Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation and Bush Heritage Australia. and (
- 2002) Petroglyphs of the Dampier Archipelago: background to development and descriptive analysis. Rock Art Research 19(1), 3–27. (
- 2012) After 80 years absence, Wuthathi people plan for the return and management of ancestral homelands on Cape York Peninsula. Ecological Management & Restoration 13, 81–84. , and (
- Walsh F. and Mitchell P. (eds) (2002) Planning for Country. Cross-cultural Approaches to Decision-Making on Aboriginal Lands. Jukurrpa Books, Alice Springs.
- World Wide Fund for Nature (2010) Ecoregions WWF’s Global 200. Available from URL: http://www.worldwildlife.org/science/ecoregions/global200.html [Accessed 14 June 2011].
- Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation (2006) Uunguu Tourism. Tourism and Healthy Country Business Plan. Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation, Kalumburu, Western Australia.
- Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation (2010) Wunambal Gaambera Healthy Country Plan – Looking after Wunambal Gaambera Country 2010–2020, Wunambal Gaambera Aboriginal Corporation, Kalumburu, Western Australia.