Bioremediation of organically enriched sediment deposited below fish farms with artificially mass-cultured colonies of a deposit-feeding polychaete Capitella sp. I
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
© 2008 Japanese Society of Fisheries Science
Volume 74, Issue 1, pages 77–87, February 2008
How to Cite
KINOSHITA, K., TAMAKI, S., YOSHIOKA, M., SRITHONGUTHAI, S., KUNIHIRO, T., HAMA, D., OHWADA, K. and TSUTSUMI, H. (2008), Bioremediation of organically enriched sediment deposited below fish farms with artificially mass-cultured colonies of a deposit-feeding polychaete Capitella sp. I. Fisheries Science, 74: 77–87. doi: 10.1111/j.1444-2906.2007.01498.x
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
- Received 1 May 2007. Accepted 10 August 2007.
- 1The present conditions and problems of mariculture of fish. In: KumaiO (ed.). Saishin kaisangyo no youshoku. Soubunsha, Tokyo. 2000; 2–16 (in Japanese)., .
- 2FAO. Aquaculture production, 1984–1990. Fish Circular Rome 1992; 815: 206.
- 4Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan. Japanese Fisheries and Aquaculture Production Annual Statistics for 1999. Association of Agriculture and Forestry Statistics, Tokyo. 2001.
- 5Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan. Statistics of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries. Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan. 2005. [Cited 7 May 2006] Available from URL: http://www.maff.go.jp/www/info/bunrui/bun06.html
- 6Deposition process of pollutants. In: The Japanese Society of Fisheries Science (ed.). Fish Culture in Coastal Areas and Self-pollution. Kouseisha-Kouseikaku, Tokyo. 1977; 42–51..
- 7The ecological impact of salmonid farming in coastal waters: a review. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 1987; 25: 563–575., .
- 8Aquaculture and the benthic environment. A review. In: CoweyCB, ChoCY (eds). Nutritional Strategies and Aquaculture Waste. Fish Nutrition Research Laboratory, University of Guelph, Guelph. 1991; 187–205., , .
- 9Past and present approaches to aquaculture waste management in Norweigian net pen culture operations. In: CoweyCB, ChoCY (eds). Nutritional Strategies and Aquaculture Waste. Fish Nutrition Research Laboratory, University of Guelph, Guelph. 1991; 117–136., , .
- 13Benthic ecology of a small cove with seasonal oxygen depletion caused by organic pollution. Publ. Amakusa. Mar. Biol. Lab. 1983; 7: 17–40., .
- 19Benthic environment and macrobenthic communities in a cove with organically enriched bottom sediment due to fish farming for two decades. Benthos Res. 1996; 50: 39–49., .
- 20Impact of cage farming of fish on the seabed in three Mediterranean coastal areas. Mar. Sci. 2000; 57: 1462–1471., , , , .
- 21Macrobenthic succession in relation to organic enrichment and pollution of the marine environment. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 1978; 16: 229–311., .
- 22Marine benthic hypoxia: a review of its ecological effects and the behavioural responses of benthic macrofauna. Oceanogr. Mar. Biol. Ann. Rev. 1995; 33: 245–303., .
- 23Restoration techniques of polluted fish farms. In: WatanabeT (ed.). Coastal Fish Farms and the Environment. Kouseisha Kouseikaku, Tokyo. 1990; 99–109..
- 24Restoration techniques of a small area in polluted fish farms. In: WatanabeT (ed.). Coastal Fish Farms and the Environment. Kouseisha Kouseikaku, Tokyo. 1990; 110–121., , .
- 26Opportunistic life histories and genetic systems in marine benthic polychaetes. J. Mar. Res. 1974; 32: 253–284., .
- 33Bioremediation of organic matter loaded on the sediment in outdoor pools with a polychaete, Capitella sp 1. Fish. Sci. 2002; 68: 613–616., , .
- 34Environmental recovery project in Dokai Bay, Kitakyushu, Japan: bioremediation of the organically enriched sediments with a polychaete, Capitella sp 1. Proceedings of The Twelfth International Offshore Polar Engineering Conference Kitakyushu, Japan. The International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, Mountain View, CA 2002; 461–464., , .
- 35Treatment of the organically enriched sediment below the fish farm with the biological activities of artificially mass-cultured colonies of a small deposit feeding polychaete, Capitella sp I. Benthos Res. 2005; 60: 25–38., , , , , , , , .
- 37Short-term impact of biological activities of a burrowing polychaete, Capitella sp. I, on bacterial abundance and the chemical characteristics in organically enriched sediment. Benthos Res. 2005; 60: 59–66., , , .
- 38Microbial community dynamics in organically enriched sediment below fish net pen culture with artificially cultured colonies of the polychaete Capitella sp. I. Bull. Soc. Sea. Wat. Sci. Japan 2005; 59: 343–353., , , , , , , .
- 39Sediment dynamics by bioturbating organisms. In: ReiseK (ed.). Ecological Comparisons of Sedimentary Shores. Ecological Studies, Vol. 151. Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg. 2001; 127–148..
- 40Feeding and burrowing behaviors of a deposit-feeding capitellid polychaete, Capitella sp. I. Benthos Res. 2005; 60: 51–58., , .