Improving quality and safety of hospital care: a reappraisal and an agenda for clinically relevant reform
Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2007
2007 Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Internal Medicine Journal
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 44–55, January 2008
How to Cite
Scott, I. A., Poole, P. J. and Jayathissa, S. (2008), Improving quality and safety of hospital care: a reappraisal and an agenda for clinically relevant reform. Internal Medicine Journal, 38: 44–55. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-5994.2007.01456.x
Potential conflicts of interest: None
- Issue online: 7 AUG 2007
- Version of Record online: 7 AUG 2007
- Received 4 April 2007; accepted 29 May 2007.
- 2Australian Council for Safety and Quality in Health Care. Achieving Safety and Quality Improvements in Health Care. Sixth Report to the Australian Health Ministers’ Conference; 2005 Jul 28. Sydney: ACSQ. Available from URL: www.safetyandquality.org
- 3Australian Council of Healthcare Standards (ACHS). National Report on Health Services Accreditation Performance: 2003 and 2004. Ultimo: ACHS; 2005 Jun. Available from URL: www.achs.org.au
- 8Does full disclosure of medical errors affect malpractice liability? Jt Comm J Qual Saf 2003; 29: 503–11., , , , .
- 11Translating Patient Safety Research into Clinical Practice. Advances in Patient Safety: From Research to Implementation. Baltimore: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, National Institutes of Health; 2004., , , , , et al.
- 12Bundaberg Hospital Commission of Inquiry. Terms of Reference. 2004 Oct. [accessed 2007 Mar 3] Available from URL: www.bhci.qld.gov.au/terms.htm
- 13Queensland Public Hospitals Commission of Inquiry Report. Queensland Health; 2005 Dec. Available from URL: http://qheps.health.qld.gov.au/restructurereform/docs/davies_inquiry.pdf.
- 14New South Wales Health Care Complaints Commission. Investigation Report, Campbelltown and Camden Hospitals, Macarthur Health Service. Sydney: New South Wales Department of Health; 2003.
- 15Australian Council for Safety and Quality in Health Care. Lessons from the inquiry into obstetrics and gynaecological services at King Edward Memorial Hospital 1990–2000. Attachment to Council’s report: safety through action. Improving patient safety in Australia. Third report to the Australian Health Ministers Conference 19 July 2002. Sydney: ACSQ, 2002.
- 16Community and Health Services Complaints Commissioner of the ACT. A final report of the investigation into adverse patient outcomes of neurosurgical services provided by the Canberra Hospital. Canberra, Australia: ACT Government; 2003.
- 25Teams and team building. In: BorkowskiN, ed. Organisational Behaviour in Health Care. Boston: Johns and Bartlett Publishers Inc; 2005; 343–58..
- 26Cultures for improving patient safety through learning; the role of teamwork. Qual Health Care 2001; 10 (Suppl. 2): ii26–ii31..
- 30National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC). Making decisions about tests and treatments. Principles for better communication between healthcare consumers and healthcare professionals. Canberra: NHMRC; 2006. Available at: www.nhmrc.gov.au
- 31Patient Education in Health and Illness, 5th edn. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2005., , .
- 44National Institute of Clinical Studies (NICS). Evidence-Practice Gaps Report, Vol. 1. Melbourne: NICS; 2003.
- 46National Institute of Clinical Studies (NICS. Evidence-Practice Gaps Report, Vol. 2. Melbourne: NICS; 2005.
- 53ShojaniaKG, DuncanBW, McDonaldKM, WachterRM, eds. Making Health Care Safer: A Critical Analysis of Patient Safety Practices. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; 2001. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No.: 43, AHRQ Publication No.: 01–E058.
- 54National Quality Forum. Safe Practices for Better Healthcare – A Consensus Report. Washington: National Quality Forum; 2003.
- 74National Patient Safety Education Framework Project Team. Final Draft of the National Patient Safety Education Framework. Framework Documents. Sydney: University of Sydney, ACSQ, Centre for Innovation in Professional Health Education; 2005 Feb [accessed 2007 Mar 3]. Available from URL: www.patientsafety.org.au/pdfdocs/national_patient_safety_education_framework.pdf
- 75NHS Modernisation Agency. Redesign and extend roles in line with efficient patient pathways to attract and retain an effective workforce. In: 10 High Impact Changes for Service Improvement and Delivery. A Guide for NHS Leaders. London: NHS Modernisation Agency; 2004; 79–85.
- 76Australian Council for Quality and Safety in Health Care. Clinical Handover and Patient Safety. Literature Review Report. Sydney: ACSQ; 2005 Mar [accessed 2007 Mar 3]. Available from URL: www.safetyandquality.org
- 81Australian Council for Quality and Safety in Health Care. National Medication Safety Breakthrough Collaboration. Improvement Toolkits 1 & 2. Sydney: ACSQ; 2005 [accessed 2007 Mar 3]. Available from URL: www.safetyandquality.org
- 82NSW Therapeutics Advisory Group Inc. Manual of Indicators for Drug Use in Australian Hospitals. Sydney: Darlinghurst; 1998 Apr [accessed 2007 Mar 3]. Available from URL: www.ciap.health.nsw.gov.au/nswtag/publications/otherdocs/draftindicatorsmanual201106.pdf
- 86How do you know that your care is improving? Part 1: basic concepts in statistical thinking. J Ambul Care Manage 2002; 25: 80–87..
- 87How do you know that your care is improving? Part 2: using control charts to learn from your data. J Ambul Care Manage 2002; 25: 78–88..
- 89Minnesota insurer won’t pay hospitals for “never events.” American Medical News 2004 Nov 8..