Funding: This study was supported by a research grant from Actelion Pharmaceuticals Australia. E. G. has received travel support from Actelion Pharmaceuticals Australia, the manufacturers of bosentan as well as honoraria for speaking and consulting engagements, and as a member of the Actelion Advisory Board. The Heart and Lung Transplant Foundation of Western Australia, of which E. G. is chair has received educational grants from Actelion. E. G. has also received travel support from Bayer-Schering, the manufacturers of iloprost, Encysive Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturers of sitaxentan and GSK, the distributors of ambrisentan in Australia. D. P. and J. R. have received travel support from Actelion Pharmaceuticals. B. D. has received consulting fees from Actelion.
Prevalence of pulmonary arterial hypertension in an Australian scleroderma population: screening allows for earlier diagnosis
Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2008
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Internal Medicine Journal
Volume 39, Issue 10, pages 682–691, October 2009
How to Cite
Phung, S., Strange, G., Chung, L. P., Leong, J., Dalton, B., Roddy, J., Deague, J., Playford, D., Musk, M. and Gabbay, E. (2009), Prevalence of pulmonary arterial hypertension in an Australian scleroderma population: screening allows for earlier diagnosis. Internal Medicine Journal, 39: 682–691. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-5994.2008.01823.x
Conflict of interest: G. S. is an employee of Actelion Pharmaceuticals Australia.
- Issue online: 14 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2008
- Received 27 May 2008; accepted 13 August 2008.
- 1Clinical manifestations of systemic sclerosis. Semin Cutan Med Surg 1998; 17: 48–54..
- 2Pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis: clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, evaluation, and management. Treat Respir Med 2004; 3: 339–52., .
- 3The prevalence of undiagnosed pulmonary arterial hypertension in subjects with connective tissue disease at the secondary health care level of community-based rheumatologists (the UNCOVER study). Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 2125–32., , , , , .
- 4Severe restrictive lung disease in systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum 1994; 37: 1283–9., , , .
- 5Outcome of renal crisis in systemic sclerosis: relation to availability of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors. Ann Intern Med 1990; 113: 352–7., , , .
- 6A new era in the management of pulmonary arterial hypertension related to scleroderma: endothelin receptor antagonism. Ann Rheum Dis 2004; 63: 1009–14., .
- 7Pulmonary hypertension in systemic sclerosis: risk factors for progression and consequences for survival. Rheumatology 2001; 40: 453–9., , , , , et al.
- 8Pulmonary hypertension in systemic sclerosis: an analysis of 17 patients. Br J Rheumatol 1996; 35: 989–93., , , .
- 9Predictors of isolated pulmonary hypertension in patients with systemic sclerosis and limited cutaneous involvement. Arthritis Rheum 2003; 48: 516–22., .
- 10Hemodynamics and survival in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension related to systemic sclerosis. Chest 2003; 123: 344–50., , , , .
- 11Mechanisms and consequences of fibrosis in systemic sclerosis. Nat Clin Pract Rheumatol 2006; 2: 134–44., , .
- 12Quality of life in pulmonary arterial hypertension: improvement and maintenance with bosentan. J Heart Lung Transplant 2007; 26: 181–7., , , , .
- 13Survival in patients with primary pulmonary hypertension. Results from a national prospective registry. Ann Intern Med 1991; 115: 343–9., , , , , et al.
- 14Pulmonary hypertension in systemic sclerosis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 2003; 29: 335–49, vii., .
- 15Systemic sclerosis associated pulmonary hypertension: improved survival in the current era. Heart 2006; 92: 926–32., , , , , et al.
- 16Treatment of patients with mildly symptomatic pulmonary hypertension with bosentan (EARLY study): a double-blind, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2008; 371: 2093–100., , , , , et al.
- 17Treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 1425–36., , .
- 18Clinical insights into the pathogenesis of primary pulmonary hypertension. Chest 1998; 114(3 Suppl): 237S–41S..
- 19Pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis: the need for early detection and treatment. Intern Med J 2007; 37: 485–94., , , .
- 20Prevalence and outcome in systemic sclerosis associated pulmonary arterial hypertension: application of a registry approach. Ann Rheum Dis 2003; 62: 1088–93., , , , , et al.
- 21Early detection of pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis: a French nationwide prospective multicenter study. Arthritis Rheum 2005; 52: 3792–800., , , , , et al.
- 22Prevalence of elevated pulmonary arterial pressures measured by echocardiography in a multicenter study of patients with systemic sclerosis. J Rheumatol 2005; 32: 1273–8., , , , , et al.
- 23Preliminary criteria for the classification of systemic sclerosis (scleroderma). Subcommittee for scleroderma criteria of the American Rheumatism Association Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee. Arthritis Rheum 1980; 23: 581–90.
- 24General considerations for lung function testing. Eur Respir J 2005; 26: 153–61., , , , , et al.
- 25The 6-minute walk: a new measure of exercise capacity in patients with chronic heart failure. Can Med Assoc J 1985; 132: 919–23., , , , , et al.
- 26Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography's Guidelines and Standards committee and Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a Branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2005; 18: 1440–63., , , , , et al.
- 27Non-invasive estimation of pulmonary artery systolic pressure with Doppler ultrasound. Br Heart J 1981; 45: 157–65., , .
- 28Primary Pulmonary Hypertension: Executive Summary from the World Symposium on Primary Pulmonary Hypertension. Evian, France; Geneva: The World Health Organization; 1998..
- 29Pulmonary arterial hypertension: a new era in management. Med J Aust 2003; 178: 564–7., , , , .
- 30Guidelines on diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension. The task force on diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension of the European society of cardiology. Eur Heart J 2004; 25: 2243–78., , , , , et al.
- 31Cyclophosphamide with low or high dose prednisolone for systemic sclerosis lung disease. J Rheumatol 2002; 29: 298–304., , , , , .
- 32Isolated pulmonary hypertension in scleroderma. Intern Med J 2005; 35: 28–33., , , , , et al.
- 33Prevalence and clinical correlates of pulmonary arterial hypertension in progressive systemic sclerosis. Am J Med 1983; 75: 65–74., , , , , et al.
- 34Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in limited and diffuse scleroderma. Chest 1996; 110: 1515–19., , , , , et al.
- 35Age and risk of pulmonary arterial hypertension in scleroderma. Chest 2003; 124: 2098–104., , , , , .
- 36Echocardiographic and right heart catheterization techniques in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Int J Cardiol 2008; 125: 294–303., .
- 37Screening, early detection, and diagnosis of pulmonary arterial hypertension: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2004; 126(1 Suppl): 14S–34S., , , , , et al.
- 38Echocardiography and pulmonary function as screening tests for pulmonary arterial hypertension in systemic sclerosis. Rheumatology 2004; 43: 461–6., , , , , et al.
- 39Utility of Doppler echocardiography and tissue Doppler imaging in the estimation of diastolic function in heart failure with normal ejection fraction: a comparative Doppler-conductance catheterization study. Circulation 2007; 116: 637–47., , , , , et al.
- 40Usefulness of B-type natriuretic peptide in hypertensive patients with exertional dyspnea and normal left ventricular ejection fraction and correlation with new echocardiographic indexes of systolic and diastolic function. Am J Cardiol 2003; 92: 1434–8., , .
- 41Clinical utility of Doppler echocardiography and tissue Doppler imaging in the estimation of left ventricular filling pressures: a comparative simultaneous Doppler-catheterization study. Circulation 2000; 102: 1788–94., , , , , et al.
- 42Primary pulmonary hypertension. A national prospective study. Ann Intern Med 1987; 107: 216–23., , , , , et al.
- 43Primary pulmonary hypertension. Lancet 2003; 361: 1533–44., .
- 44Bosentan treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension related to connective tissue disease: a subgroup analysis of the pivotal clinical trials and their open-label extensions. Ann Rheum Dis 2006; 65: 1336–40., , , .
- 45Natural history of mild-moderate pulmonary hypertension and the risk factors for severe pulmonary hypertension in scleroderma. J Rheumatol 2006; 33: 269–74., , , , .
- 46Scleroderma patients with combined pulmonary hypertension and interstitial lung disease. J Rheumatol 2003; 30: 2398–405., , , .
- 47Interstitial lung disease in recent onset rheumatoid arthritis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997; 156(2 Pt 1): 528–35., , , , , et al.