Funding: Waikato Respiratory Research Fund.
Cardio-selective and non-selective beta-blockers in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: effects on bronchodilator response and exercise
Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2009
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Royal Australasian College of Physicians
Internal Medicine Journal
Volume 40, Issue 3, pages 193–200, March 2010
How to Cite
Chang, C. L., Mills, G. D., McLachlan, J. D., Karalus, N. C. and Hancox, R. J. (2010), Cardio-selective and non-selective beta-blockers in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: effects on bronchodilator response and exercise. Internal Medicine Journal, 40: 193–200. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-5994.2009.01943.x
Conflict of interest: None
- Issue online: 15 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 10 MAR 2009
- Received 5 September 2008; accepted 17 January 2009.
- 1The natural history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Eur Respir J 2006; 27: 627–43., , , , , et al.
- 2Cardiovascular disease in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Saskatchewan Canada. Ann Epidemiol 2006; 16: 63–70., , , , , et al.
- 3Hospitalizations and mortality in the lung health study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002; 166: 333–9., , , .
- 4Why are patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at increased risk of cardiovascular diseases? The potential role of systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Circulation 2003; 107: 1514–19., .
- 5Cardiovascular disease in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2005; 2: 44–9..
- 6Cardiac disease in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2008; 5: 543–48., , , , , .
- 7Beta-adrenergic blockade for survivors of acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1984; 310: 830–7., , .
- 8Beta blockade after myocardial infarction: systematic review and meta regression analysis. BMJ 1999; 318: 1730–7., , , , .
- 9Effect of atenolol on mortality and cardiovascular morbidity after noncadiac surgery. Multicentre study of peri-operative ischaemia research group. N Engl J Med 1996; 335: 1713–20., , , .
- 10Clinical effects of beta-adrenergic blockade in chronic heart failure: a meta-analysis of double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trials. Circulation 1998; 98: 1184–91., , , , , .
- 11The 7th report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood pressure. JAMA 2003; 21: 2560–72., , , , , et al.
- 12Meta-analysis of trials comparing beta-blockers, calcium antagonists, and nitrates for stable angina. JAMA 1999; 281: 1927–36., , , , , et al.
- 13Effect of beta-blockade on mortality among high-risk and low-risk patients after myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 489–97., , .
- 14Beta-blocker underuse in secondary prevention of myocardial infarction. Ann Pharmacother 2004; 38: 286–93., , .
- 15The selectivity of beta-adrenoceptor antagonists at the human beta-1, beta-2 and beta-3 adrenoceptors. Br J Pharmacol 2005; 144: 317–22..
- 16Use of beta-adrenoceptor antagonists in older patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular co-morbidity. Drugs Aging 2008; 25: 131–44., .
- 17Cardioselective beta-blockers for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a meta-analysis. Respir Med 2003; 97: 1094–101., , , , .
- 18Cardioselective beta-blockers for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 4: CD003566., , .
- 19Use of beta-blockers and the risk of death in hospitalised patients with acute exacerbations of COPD. Thorax 2008; 63: 301–5., , , , .
- 20The National Collaborating Centre for Chronic Conditions. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: National clinical guideline on management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in adults in primary and secondary care. Thorax 2004; 59(Suppl. 1): i1–i232.
- 21Detrimental effects of beta-blockers in COPD. A concern for non-selective beta-blockers. Chest 2005; 127: 818–24., , , , , .
- 22Pulmonary rehabilitation: joint ACCP/AACVPR evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest 2007; 131(Suppl. 5): 4S–42S., , , , , et al.
- 23Effect of beta-blocker therapy on functional status in patients with heart failure–a meta-analysis. Eur J Heart Fail 2006; 8: 522–31., , , .
- 24Effect of beta-adrenergic blockade on hyperventilation and exercise tolerance in emphysema. J Appl Physiol 1983; 54: 1368–73., ,
- 25Recovery from bronchoconstriction and bronchodilator tolerance. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2006; 31: 181–96., .
- 26Rapid method for measurement of bronchial responsiveness. Thorax 1983; 38: 760–5., , .
- 27Tolerance to beta-agonists during acute bronchoconstriction. Eur Respir J 1999; 14: 283–7., , , , , et al.
- 28Development of a shuttle walking test of disability in patients with chronic airways obstruction. Thorax 1992; 47: 1019–24., , , , .
- 29Is Salamol less effective than Ventolin? A randomised, blinded, crossover study in New Zealand. NZ Med J 2007; 120: [cited 1 September 2008]. Available from: URL: http://www.nzma.org.nz/journal/120-1267/2874, , , .
- 30Gender difference in airway hyperresponsiveness in smokers with mild COPD. The Lung Health Study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 150: 956–61., , , , , et al.
- 31The minimum clinically important improvement for the incremental shuttle walk test. Thorax 2008; 63: 775–7. Epub: doi: 10.1136/thx.2007.081208, , , .
- 32Beta-blockers may provoke oxygen desaturation during submaximal exercise at moderate altitudes in elderly persons. High Alt Med Biol 2003; 4: 475–8., , .
- 33The effects of beta-1-adrenergic blockade on cardiovascular oxygen flow in normoxic and hypoic humans at exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol 2005; 95: 250–9., , , , , .
- 34Exercise intensity-dependent contribution of beta-adrenergic receptor-mediated vasodilation in hypoxic humans. J Physiol 2008; 586: 1195–205., , , , , .