Author contributions: both authors were involved in the preparation and editing of the manuscript.
Nursing home care in the USA
Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2009
© 2009 Japan Geriatrics Society
Geriatrics & Gerontology International
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 1–6, March 2009
How to Cite
Eskildsen, M. and Price, T. (2009), Nursing home care in the USA. Geriatrics & Gerontology International, 9: 1–6. doi: 10.1111/j.1447-0594.2008.00513.x
- Issue online: 23 FEB 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 FEB 2009
- Accepted for publication 29 July 2008.
- 2Unloving Care: The Nursing Home Tragedy. New York: Basic Books, 1980..
- 3The changing structure of the nursing home industry and the impact of ownership on quality, cost, and access. In: GrayBH, ed. For-Profit Enterprise in Health Care. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1986; 492–541., .
- 4OBRA ’87 Summary [Online]. 2001. [Cited 31 January 2008.] Available from URL: URL:http://www.ltcombudsman.org/ombpublic/49_346_1023.cfm.
- 5U.S. Census Bureau. Census Bureau Estimates Number of Children and Adults in the States and Puerto Rico [online]. 2005. [Cited 12 May 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.census.gov/Press-release/www/releases/archives/population/004083.html
- 6Federal Interagency Forum on Aging-Related Statistics. Older Americans 2008: Key Indicators of Well-Being. Washington D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2008.
- 10Medical Care in the Nursing Home, 2nd edn. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1997., , .
- 12Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Data Book 2007. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2007.
- 13Medicare Payment Advisory Commission. Report to the Congress: Medicare Payment Policy, March 2007. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2007.
- 14Committee on Nursing Home Regulation, Institute of Medicine. Improving the Quality of Care in Nursing Homes. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press, 1986.
- 15483.20 Resident Assessment, 42 CFR Part 483. Requirements for States and Long Term Care Facilities. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, HHS (10-1-2005 Edition).
- 18Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Nursing Home Compare [online]. 2008. [Cited 12 Mya 2008.] Available from URL: http://www.medicare.gov/NHCompare/Static/Related/DataCollection.asp?dest=NAV|Home|DataDetails|DataCollection#TabTop
- 19Inter-RAI [online]. 2008. [Cited 19 May 2008.] Available from URL: http://interrai.org
- 205th annual provider software buyer's guide. Provider 1995; 21: 57–65.
- 21Assessment of the Medicare Quality Improvement Organization Program. Ann Intern Med 2006; 145: 324–353.et al.
- 22Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Survey and Enforcement Process for Skilled Nursing Facilities and Nursing Facilities. Washington, D.C.: State Operations Manual, 2004.
- 25Nursing Home Design. New York: Garland Publishing, 1996..
- 26National Center for Health Statistics. National Nursing Home Survey. Washington, D.C.: National Center for Health Statistics, 2004.
- 30Congressional Budget Office. The Cost and Financing of Long-Term Care Services. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Budget Office, 2008.
- 31Congressional Budget Office. CBO Memorandum: Projections of Expenditures for Long-Term Care Services. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Budget Office, 1999.
- 32Long-Term Care Insurance in 2000–2001. Washington, D.C.: Health Insurance Association of America, 2003..