Retreatment with nedaplatin in patients with recurrent gynecological cancer after the development of hypersensitivity reaction to carboplatin
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research © 2012 Japan Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 336–340, January 2013
How to Cite
Arimoto, T., Oda, K., Nakagawa, S., Kawana, K., Tsukazaki, T., Adachi, K., Matsumoto, Y., Yano, T., Kozuma, S. and Taketani, Y. (2013), Retreatment with nedaplatin in patients with recurrent gynecological cancer after the development of hypersensitivity reaction to carboplatin. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research, 39: 336–340. doi: 10.1111/j.1447-0756.2012.01917.x
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2012
- Received: January 16 2012.; Accepted: March 5 2012.
- hypersensitivity reaction;
Aim: Platinum is a milestone drug against gynecologic malignancies. The purpose of this retrospective study was to investigate the feasibility of replacing carboplatin with nedaplatin in patients who had developed a hypersensitivity reaction to carboplatin.
Material and Methods: Fifteen patients with recurrent gynecologic cancer (12 ovarian, 1 fallopian tube, 1 endometrial and 1 cervical cancer) who had experienced a hypersensitivity reaction to carboplatin and a possible clinical indication for continuing treatment with platinum were treated with nedaplatin (80 mg/m2)-containing regimen.
Results: The total number of nedaplatin cycles given was 137 (range 1–29). Four (27%) patients developed hypersensitivity reactions on the second, second, fourth, and ninth administration, respectively. The severities of all the hypersensitivity reactions were grade 3 or less. The other 11 patients (73%) had no nedaplatin-associated hypersensitivity reactions. The incidence of hypersensitivity reactions in the paclitaxel and nedaplatin group (three of four, 75%) was more frequent than the docetaxel and nedaplatin group (none of seven, P = 0.024). The objective response rate in eleven patients with measurable disease was 36% (complete response at 9% and partial response at 27%), and the disease control rate was 73% (stable disease at 36%).
Conclusion: Nedaplatin-associated hypersensitivity reactions are not rare in patients who developed allergic reactions to carboplatin. Retreatment of carboplatin-allergic patients with nedaplatin cannot be recommended without careful consideration of the potential risks and benefits.