Information gathered throughout this study is restricted to arcade videogame playing and does not deal with home videogame playing. The decision to focus on arcade videogames is based on the findings of my earlier study that videogame playing in arcades was complementary with television viewing, while home videogame playing was mildly competitive with it.
Playing Videogames: The Electronic Friend
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2006
Journal of Communication
Volume 34, Issue 2, pages 148–156, June 1984
How to Cite
Selnow, G. W. (1984), Playing Videogames: The Electronic Friend. Journal of Communication, 34: 148–156. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-2466.1984.tb02166.x
A. C. Nielsen reports that the most substantial recent increases in viewing have occurred in the early morning hours (13). Hence, this fourth category was added to Medrich's original three.
Some statisticians believe at least three variables are required in order to define a factor unambiguously. In some cases reported here, only two variables load on a single factor; these factors should be viewed with caution.
- Issue published online: 7 FEB 2006
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!