The author wishes to express his gratitude to Clifford Nass for his invaluable assistance with this paper. Thanks also to Henry Breitrose, Benjamin Detenber, Gens Johnson, Shari Levine, Matthew Lombard, Geetu Melwani, Dave Voelker, and many others who read and commented on various drafts of this paper. Their insightful and thought-provoking comments were very much appreciated. Finally, thanks to Byron Reeves, whose interest in the idea of “being there” helped to motivate this discussion.
Defining Virtual Reality: Dimensions Determining Telepresence
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2006
Journal of Communication
Volume 42, Issue 4, pages 73–93, December 1992
How to Cite
Steuer, J. (1992), Defining Virtual Reality: Dimensions Determining Telepresence. Journal of Communication, 42: 73–93. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-2466.1992.tb00812.x
- Issue published online: 7 FEB 2006
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2006
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!