Transanal haemorrhoidal artery echodoppler ligation and anopexy (THD) is effective for II and III degree haemorrhoids: a prospective multicentric study
Article first published online: 15 APR 2009
© 2010 The Authors. Journal Compilation © 2010 The Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
Volume 12, Issue 8, pages 804–809, August 2010
How to Cite
Infantino, A., Bellomo, R., Dal Monte, P. P., Salafia, C., Tagariello, C., Tonizzo, C. A., Spazzafumo, L., Romano, G. and Altomare, D. F. (2010), Transanal haemorrhoidal artery echodoppler ligation and anopexy (THD) is effective for II and III degree haemorrhoids: a prospective multicentric study. Colorectal Disease, 12: 804–809. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2009.01915.x
- Issue published online: 14 JUL 2010
- Article first published online: 15 APR 2009
- Received 5 January 2009; accepted 9 February 2009; Accepted Article online 15 April 2009
- transanal ligation;
Aim We report a multicentric prospective study which aimed to evaluate Doppler-assisted ligation of the terminal haemorrhoidal arteries (THD) for II and III degree haemorrhoids.
Method A total of 112 patients from five colorectal units, including 81 men, mean age 48 ± 13 years, with II degree (39) and III degree (73) haemorrhoids were treated by Doppler-guided transanal de-arterialization and anopexy using a new device (THD).
Results The mean operative time was 33.9 ± 8.8 minutes, and the mean number of ligatures applied was 7.2 ± 1.5. Postoperatively, 72% of patients did not need analgesics and the other 28% used nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs 1–3 times/day for less than 2 days. All the patients were operated as a day case. Early postoperative complications included haemorrhoidal thrombosis (2 patients), bleeding (1) treated by haemostatic suture, dysuria (6) and acute urinary retention (1). After a mean follow-up of 15.6 ± 6.5 months (range 6–32), 2/105 (20.9%) patients complained of minor bleeding, while mild pain was still present in 4/51 patients (7.8%). There were no statistically significant differences in the sample population regarding the gender or stage of the disease. Tenesmus was cured in 15/17 patients, dyschaezia in 20/22 patients and mucous soiling in 10/10 patients. No new cases of altered defaecation or faecal incontinence were recorded. Overall, 85.7% of patients were cured and 7.1% improved. Residual haemorrhoids were treated by elastic band ligation in nine (8%) patients and by surgical excision in further five patients (4.5%).
Conclusion Doppler-assisted ligation of the terminal branches of the haemorrhoidal arteries for II and III degree haemorrhoids is highly effective and painless. Complications are few and the technique can be performed as a day case.