Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
The design of the liraglutide clinical trial programme
Article first published online: 8 MAR 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism
Special Issue: Liraglutide in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes: Summary of Phase 3 Clinical Data, Practical Considerations and Non-glycaemic Effects. Guest Editor: Alan J. Garber
Volume 14, Issue Supplement s2, pages 4–12, April 2012
How to Cite
Nauck, M. A. (2012), The design of the liraglutide clinical trial programme. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, 14: 4–12. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1326.2012.01573.x
- Issue published online: 8 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 8 MAR 2012
- Date submitted 30 November 2011; date of final acceptance 11 January 2012
- 1Improved glycemic control with no weight increase in patients with type 2 diabetes after once-daily treatment with the long-acting glucagon-like peptide 1 analogue liraglutide (NN2211): a 12-week, double-blind, randomized, controlled trial. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 1335–1342., , , ,
- 4American Diabetes Association et al. European Association for Study of Diabetes. Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009; 32: 193–203., , ,
- 5Liraglutide: from clinical trials to clinical practice. Diabetes Obes Metab 2012; 14(Suppl. 2): 33–40.
- 10LEAD-1 SU Study Group et al. Liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analogue, added to a sulphonylurea over 26 produces greater improvements in glycaemic and weight control compared with adding rosiglitazone or placebo in subjects with type 2 diabetes (LEAD-1 SU). Diabet Med 2009; 26: 268–278., , ,
- 16Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists activate rodent, but not human, thyroid C-cells causing calcitonin release and proliferation. Presented at the 80th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association. 23–27 September 2009, Palm Beach, FL, USA., , et al.
- 18Novo Nordisk A/S. Victoza® (liraglutide) European SPC. Available from URL http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/21986/SPC/Victoza+6+mg+ml+solution+for+injection+in+pre-filled+pen/. Accessed 30September 2011.
- 19Novo Nordisk, Inc. Victoza® (liraglutide) US label. Available from URL http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2010/022341lbl.pdf. Accessed 28 September 2011.
- 20Novo Nordisk, Inc. Levemir® (insulin detemir) European SPC. Available from URL www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/14584/SPC/Levemir++Cartridge+100+U+ml+-+Penfill,++Levemir+Pre-filled+Pen+100+U+ml+-+FlexPen+and+InnoLet/. Accessed 14 November 2011.
- 21Eli Lilly Nederland B.V. Byetta® (exenatide) European SPC. Available from URL http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/19257/SPC/Byetta+5+micrograms+solution+for+injection%2c+prefilled+pen.++Byetta+10+micrograms+solution+for+injection%2c+prefilled+pen. Accessed 19 August 2011.
- 22Amylin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Byetta® (exenatide) US PI. Available from URL http://pi.lilly.com/us/byetta-pi.pdf Accessed 30 October 2011.
- 23Merck & Co., Inc. Januvia® (sitagliptin) European PI. Available from URL http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR__Product_Information/human/000722/WC500039054.pdf. Accessed 28 September 2011.
- 24Novartis AG. Galvus® (vildagliptin) European PI. Available from URL http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_Product_Information/human/000771/WC500020327.pdf. Accessed 28 September 2011.
- 25Bristol-Myers Squibb Company. Onglyza® (saxagliptin) European PI. Available from URL http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR__Product_Information/human/001039/WC500044316.pdf. Accessed 28 September 2011.
- 28Liraglutide in oral antidiabetic drug combination therapy. Diabetes Obes Metab 2012; 14(Suppl. 2): 13–19.
- 33Comparison of liraglutide vs. other incretin-related anti-hyperglycaemic agents. Diabetes Obes Metab 2012; 14(Suppl. 2): 20–32.,
- 351860-LIRA-DPP-4 Study Group et al. One year of liraglutide treatment offers sustained and more effective glycaemic control and weight reduction compared with sitagliptin, both in combination with metformin, in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised, parallel-group, open-label trial. Int J Clin Pract 2011; 65: 397–407., , ,
- 36Switching from the DPP-4 inhibitor sitagliptin to the human GLP-1 analog liraglutide further improves glycemic control and weight loss in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2011; 60(Suppl. 1): A307., , , for the 1860-Lira-DPP-4 Study Group et al.
- 42Tolerability and efficacy of exenatide and titrated insulin glargine in adult patients with type 2 diabetes previously uncontrolled with metformin or a sulfonylurea: a multinational, randomized, open-label, two-period, crossover noninferiority trial. Clin Ther 2007; 29: 2333–2348., , et al.
- 44Exenatide compared with long-acting insulin to achieve glycaemic control with minimal weight gain in patients with type 2 diabetes: results of the Helping Evaluate Exenatide in patients with diabetes compared with Long-Acting insulin (HEELA) study. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2009; 11: 1153–1162., , , , ,
- 49Efficacy and safety of exenatide once weekly versus liraglutide in subjects with type 2 diabetes (DURATION-6): a randomised, open-label study. Diabetologia 2001; 54(Suppl. 1): S38., , et al.
- 52Sitagliptin Study 020 Group. Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor sitagliptin added to ongoing metformin therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone. Diabetes Care 2006; 29: 2638–2643., , , , ,
- 53Sitagliptin Study 019 Group. Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor sitagliptin added to ongoing pioglitazone therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes: a 24-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study. Clin Ther 2006; 28: 1556–1568., , , , ,
- 54Sitagliptin Study 024 Group. Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, sitagliptin, compared with the sulfonylurea, glipizide, in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin alone: a randomized, double-blind, non-inferiority trial. Diabetes Obes Metab 2007; 9: 194–205., , , , ,
- 61A comparison of efficacy and safety of vildagliptin and gliclazide in combination with metformin in patients with Type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone: a 52-week, randomized study. Diabet Med 2010; 27: 318–326.,
- 63CV181-040 Investigators. Saxagliptin added to a submaximal dose of sulphonylurea improves glycaemic control compared with uptitration of sulphonylurea in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial. Int J Clin Pract 2009; 63: 1395–1406., , , , , ,
- 66CV181-039 Investigators. Saxagliptin given in combination with metformin as initial therapy improves glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes compared with either monotherapy: a randomized controlled trial. Diabetes Obes Metab 2009; 11: 611–622., , , , , ,
- 67Efficacy and safety of saxagliptin in combination with metformin compared with sitagliptin in combination with metformin in adult patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2010; 26: 540–549., , , ,