Suspected ivermectin toxicosis in a miniature mule foal causing blindness
Article first published online: 6 JAN 2006
Volume 9, Issue 1, pages 29–32, January 2006
How to Cite
Plummer, C. E., Kallberg, M. E., Ollivier, F. J., Brooks, D. E. and Gelatt, K. N. (2006), Suspected ivermectin toxicosis in a miniature mule foal causing blindness. Veterinary Ophthalmology, 9: 29–32. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-5224.2005.00431.x
- Issue published online: 6 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 6 JAN 2006
A 9-week-old miniature mule foal presented to the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital for acute blindness, ataxia, and depression following an overdose of an over-the-counter ivermectin-based de-worming medication. Ophthalmic examination and electrodiagnostic evaluation eliminated outer retinal abnormalities as the primary cause of the bilateral blindness, implicating instead a central neurologic effect of the drug. With symptomatic and supportive care, the foal recovered fully and regained its vision.