This work was conceived while the authors were in attendance at the 2007 Medici II Conference at the University of Pennsylvania, supported by a grant from the Templeton Foundation.
Group Well-Being: Morale from a Positive Psychology Perspective
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 International Association of Applied Psychology
Volume 57, Issue Supplement s1, pages 19–36, July 2008
How to Cite
Peterson, C., Park, N. and Sweeney, P. J. (2008), Group Well-Being: Morale from a Positive Psychology Perspective. Applied Psychology:An International Review, 57: 19–36. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-0597.2008.00352.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Aliraqi (2007, 30 July). Hussein Saeed interview. Document available on the Worldwide Web at http://www.aliraqi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77175. Retrieved 8 January 2008.
- American Psychological Association (2007). Psychologically healthy workplace awards and best practice honors 2007. Washington, DC: author.
- 1953). Teacher morale and student achievement. Journal of Educational Research, 46, 693–698. (
- 2003). Positive organizational network analysis and energizing relationships. In K.S.Cameron, J.E.Dutton, & R.E.Quinn (Eds.), Positive organizational scholarship: Foundations of a new discipline (pp. 328–342). San Francisco, CA: Berret-Koehler. , , & (
- 2005). Zingerman's community of businesses. Unpublished manuscript, Center for Positive Organizational Scholarship, University of Michigan Ross School of Business. , & (
- 2001). Bad is stronger than good. Review of General Psychology, 5, 323–370. , , , & (
- 1967). Morale: A study of men and courage. New York: Praeger. (
- BBC News (2007, 29 July). Iraq celebrates football victory. Document available on the Worldwide Web at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6921078.stm. Retrieved 8 January 2008.
- 1950). A history of experimental psychology (2nd edn.). New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts. (
- 2006). Morale during military operations: A positive psychology approach. In T.WBritt, C.A.Castro, & A.B.Adler (Eds.), Mind in the military: Psychology and life in the armed forces (Vol. 1, pp. 157–184). Westport, CT: Praeger. , & (
- 2003). Providing social support may be more beneficial than receiving it: Results from a prospective study of mortality. Psychological Science, 14, 320–327. Direct Link:, , , & (
- 2005). When is Appreciative Inquiry transformational? A meta-case analysis. The Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 41, 161–181. , & (
- 2006). The process of savoring: A new model of positive experience. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. , & (
- 2004). Contributions to the discipline of positive organizational scholarship. American Behavioral Scientist, 47, 1–9. , & (
- 1973). Some determinants of teacher morale in Australia. Educational Research, 16, 34–39. (
- Department of the Army (2006). Army leadership. Washington, DC: Defense Printing.
- 2000). Subjective well-being: The science of happiness and a proposal for a national index. American Psychologist, 55, 34–43. (
- 2002). Very happy people. Psychological Science, 13, 80–83. Direct Link:, & (
- 2004). Beyond money: Toward an economy of well-being. Psychological Science in the Public Interest, 5, 1–31. Direct Link:, & (
- 2003). Energize your workplace: How to create and sustain high-quality connections at work. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. (
- 1986). Unit morale: From a theoretical puzzle to an empirical illustration: An Israeli example. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 16, 549–564. (
- Gallup Organization (2007). The state of global well-being 2007. New York: Gallup Press.
- 2001). Good work: When excellence and ethics meet. New York: Basic Books. , , & (
- 2004). Performance gains through positive organizational behavior and authentic leadership. Organizational Dynamics, 33, 270–281. , & (
- 2004). Collective efficacy beliefs: Theoretical developments, empirical evidence, and future directions. Educational Researcher, 33, 3–13. , , & (
- 1975). The centrality of interpersonal trust in group processes. In C.Cooper (Ed.), Theories of group processes (pp. 131–185). London: Wiley. , & (
- 1945). Men under stress. Philadelphia, PA: Blakiston. , & (
- 1994). Teacher quality of work life: Integrating work experiences, psychological distress, and morale. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 67, 109–132. (
- 2001). Occupational stress: Toward a more integrated framework. In N.Anderson, D.S.Ones, H.K.Sinangil, & C.Viswesvaran (Eds.), Handbook of industrial, work, and organizational psychology (Vol. 2, pp. 93–114). London: Sage. , & (
- 2000). Development of the School Organisational Health Questionnaire: A measure for assessing teacher morale and school organisational climate. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 70, 211–228. , , , , & (
- 1986). Cohesion: The human element in combat. Washington, DC: National Defense University Press. (
- 1955). Zest for work: Industry rediscovers the individual. New York: Harper. (
- 1982). Victims of groupthink. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin. (
- 1982). Combat motivation: The behavior of soldiers in battle. Boston, MA: Kluwer-Nijhoff. (
- 1943). A working concept of morale for flight surgeons. Military Surgeon, 92, 601–609. (
- 1964). Buddy relations and combat performance. In M.Janowitz (Ed.), The new military: Changing patterns of organization (pp. 195–224). New York: Russell Sage Foundation. (
- 2005). The benefits of frequent positive affect: Does happiness lead to success? Psychological Bulletin, 131, 803–855. , , & (
- 1991). Morale, unit cohesion, and esprit de corps. In R.Gal & D.Mangelsdorff (Eds.), Handbook of military psychology (pp. 453–470). New York: Wiley. (
- 1946). Mass persuasion: The social psychology of a war bond drive. New York: Harper & Brothers. , , & (
- Mirvis, P.H., & Berg, D.N. (Eds.) (1977). Failures in organization development and change. New York: Wiley Interscience.
- 1940). Soldier in battle. Sydney: Angus & Robertson. (
- 1978). Relationships between military morale, motivation, satisfaction, and unit effectiveness. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 63, 47–52. , & (
- 2003). Human accomplishment: The pursuit of excellence in the arts and sciences, 800 BC to 1950. New York: HarperCollins. (
- 1996). Culture of honor: The psychology of violence in the south. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. , & (
- 2007). The optimum level of well-being: Can people be too happy? Perspectives on Psychological Science, 2, 346–360. Direct Link:, , & (
- 2005, 21 August). Congressional Medal of Honor recipients: A positive psychology perspective. Paper presented at the 113th Annual Meeting of the Conference of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC. (
- 2003). Virtues and organizations. In K.S.Cameron, J.E.Dutton, & R.E.Quinn (Eds.), Positive organizational scholarship: Foundations of a new discipline (pp. 33–47). San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler. , & (
- Positive therapy. In N.Kazantzis, M.A.Reinecke, & A.Freeman (Eds.), Cognitive behavior therapy: Using theory and philosophy to strengthen science and practice. New York: Guilford. , , & (in press).
- 2004). Strengths of character and well-being. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 23, 603–619. , , & (
- 1943). The psychology of military leadership. New York: Prentice Hall. , , & (
- 1999). Personal control and well-being. In D.Kahneman, E.Diener, & N.Schwarz (Eds.), Well-being: The foundations of hedonic psychology (pp. 288–301). New York: Russell Sage. (
- 2000). The future of optimism. American Psychologist, 55, 44–55. (
- 2006). A primer in positive psychology. New York: Oxford University Press. (
- 1987). Explanatory style and academic performance among university freshmen. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 53, 603–607. , & (
- 2003). Positive psychology as the evenhanded positive psychologist views it. Psychological Inquiry, 14, 141–146. , & (
- 2006). Positive organizational scholarship. In M.Ringlstetter, S.Kaiser, & G.Müller-Seitz (Eds.), Zentrale konzepte und ideen des positive organizational scholarship (pp. 11–31). Wiesbaden, Germany: Deutscher Universitätsverlag. , & (
- Positive psychology. In B.J.Sadock, V.A.Sadock, & P.Ruiz (Eds.), Comprehensive textbook of psychiatry (9th edn.). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins. , & (in press-a).
- ). Positive psychology and the search for meaning. In P.T.P.Wong & P.S.Fry (Eds.), The human quest for meaning (2nd edn.). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. , & (in press-b
- Zest and work. Journal of Organizational Psychology. , , , & (in press).
- Strengths of character and posttraumatic growth. Journal of Traumatic Stress. , , , , & (in press).
- 2005). Orientations to happiness and life satisfaction: The full life versus the empty life. Journal of Happiness Studies, 6, 25–41. , , & (
- 2004). Character strengths and virtues: A handbook and classification. New York: Oxford University Press/Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. , & (
- 1964). The measurement of teacher morale: A factor analysis approach. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 24, 631–642. , & (
- 1995). Sports and explanatory style. In G.M.Buchanan & M.E.P.Seligman (Eds.), Explanatory style (pp. 173–185). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. , & (
- Saleebey, D. (Ed.) (1992). The strengths perspective in social work practice. New York: Longman.
- 2000). Positive psychology: An introduction. American Psychologist, 55, 5–14. , & (
- 2005). Positive psychology progress: Empirical validation of interventions. American Psychologist, 60, 410–421. , , , & (
- 1957). Principals: What are you doing to teacher morale? Education Administration and Supervision, 43, 204–210. (
- 1965). The American soldier: Combat and its aftermath, Vol. II. New York: Wiley & Sons. , , , , , , , & (
- Trust in combat: A test of an interdependence model and the links of trust to leadership. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. , , & (in press).
- 1953). Motivation and morale in industry. Oxford: Norton. (
- Watson, G. (Ed.) (1942). Civilian morale. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.
- 1953). Philosophical investigations. New York: Macmillan. (
- 2003). Why they fight: Combat motivation in the Iraq War. Carlisle, PA: Strategic Studies Institute. , , , & (
- 1950). Organizational structure and employee morale. American Sociological Review, 15, 169–179. (
- 2003). Positive organizational behavior: An idea whose time has truly come. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 24, 437–442. (
- 2000). Teacher morale in Western Australia: A multilevel model. Learning Environments Research, 3, 159–177. (
- 1995). Collective efficacy. In J.E.Maddux (Ed.), Self-efficacy, adaptation, and adjustment: Theory, research, and application (pp. 305–328). New York: Plenum. , , , & (