The role of repeat transurethral resection in the management of high-risk superficial transitional cell bladder cancer
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2005
Volume 96, Issue 6, pages 759–762, October 2005
How to Cite
Sivalingam, S., Probert, J. L. and Schwaibold, H. (2005), The role of repeat transurethral resection in the management of high-risk superficial transitional cell bladder cancer. BJU International, 96: 759–762. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2005.05710.x
- Issue online: 9 SEP 2005
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2005
- Accepted for publication 29 March 2005
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
None declared. Source of funding: Bristol Urological Institute, UK.
- 1European Association of Urology (EAU) Working Group On Urological Oncology. Guidelines on bladder cancer. Eur Urol 2002; 4: 105–12, , , , , .
- 2Variability in the recurrence rate at first follow-up cystoscopy after TUR in stage Ta T1 transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a combined analysis of seven EORTC studies. Eur Urol 2002; 41: 523–31, , et al.
- 3Vorbedingungen und technik der transurethralen elektroresektion des harnblasenkarzinoms. Urologe A 1969; 8: 73–80, , .
- 4Stellenwert der differenzierten transurethralen resektion beim primären oberflächlichen harnblasenkarzinom. Urologe A 1991; 30: 111–3, .
- 5Endoscopic detection of transitional cell carcinoma with 5-aminolevulinic acid: Results of 1012 fluorescence endoscopies. Urology 2001; 57: 690–4, , et al.
- 6Transurethral resection for bladder cancer using 5-aminolevulinic acid induced fluorescence endoscopy versus white light endoscopy. J Urol 2002; 168: 475–8, , et al.
- 7Superficial bladder cancer. Progression and recurrence. J Urol 1983; 130: 1083–6, , et al.
- 8Evaluation of clinical staging before cystectomy in transitional cell bladder carcinoma: a long-term follow-up of 276 consecutive patients. Br J Urol 1998; 81: 686–91, , , , , .
- 9The influence of review pathology on study outcome of a randomised multicenter superficial bladder cancer trial. Members of the Dutch South East Cooperative Urological Group. Br J Urol 1994; 73: 172–6, , , .
- 10The role and impact of pathology review on the stage and grade assessment of stages Ta and T1 bladder tumours: a combined analysis of 5 EORTC trials for research and treatment of cancer trials. J Urol 2000; 164: 1533–7, , , , .
- 11Long-term follow-up in superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: prognostic factors for time to first recurrence, recurrence rate, and survival. Final results of a randomized trial comparing doxorubicin hydrochloride, ethoglucid, and transurethral resection alone. EORTC Genitourinary Tract Cancer Cooperative Group. Prog Clin Biol Res 1989; 303: 481–90, , et al.
- 12Residual tumour discovered in routine second transurethral resection in patients with stage T1 transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. J Urol 1991; 146: 316–8, , .
- 13The value of a second transurethral resection in evaluating patients with bladder tumors. J Urol 1999; 162: 74–6.
- 14Second resection and prognosis in primary high risk superficial bladder cancer. J Urol 2001; 165: 808–10, , .
- 15Significance of second transurethral resection for T1 bladder cancer. Eur Urol 2000; 37 (Suppl. 2): A441, , , , .
- 16Is repeat transurethral resection justified in patients with newly diagnosed superficial bladder cancer? Urology 2002; 59: 220–3, , et al.
- 17Effect of routine repeat transurethral resection for superficial bladder cancer: a long-term observational study. J Urol 2003; 170: 433–7, , , , , .
- 18Second transurethral resection of superficial transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder: a must even for experienced urologist. Urol Int 2004; 72: 99–102, , , .
- 19Prospective study of effectiveness. Reoperation (re-TUR) in superficial bladder carcinoma. Urologe A 2002; 41: 470–4, , , .
- 20Repeated transurethral resection of recurrent superficial bladder tumors. Does it affect spread and stage of the tumour? Scan J Urol Nephrol 2002; 36: 60–2, , , .