Fracture risk in Danish men with prostate cancer: a nationwide register study
Article first published online: 15 AUG 2007
Volume 100, Issue 4, pages 749–754, October 2007
How to Cite
Abrahamsen, B., Nielsen, M. F., Eskildsen, P., Andersen, J. T., Walter, S. and Brixen, K. (2007), Fracture risk in Danish men with prostate cancer: a nationwide register study. BJU International, 100: 749–754. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2007.07163.x
- Issue published online: 15 AUG 2007
- Article first published online: 15 AUG 2007
- Accepted for publication 27 April 2007
- 1Cancer statistics, 2007. CA Cancer J Clin 2007; 57: 43–66, , , , , .
- 2[Prostate cancer in Denmark 1943–2002]. Ugeskr Laeger 2007; 169: 129–32, , , , .
- 3The natural history, skeletal complications, and management of bone metastases in patients with prostate carcinoma. Cancer 2000; 88 (Suppl.): 2989–94, .
- 4Androgen suppression adjuvant to definitive radiotherapy in prostate carcinoma – long-term results of phase III RTOG 85–31. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2005; 61: 1285–90, , et al.
- 5Long-term results with immediate androgen suppression and external irradiation in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer (an EORTC study): a phase III randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 360: 103–6, , et al.
- 6Immediate or deferred androgen deprivation for patients with prostate cancer not suitable for local treatment with curative intent: European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) Trial 30891. J Clin Oncol 2006; 24: 1868–76, , et al.
- 7Short-term androgen deprivation and radiotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer: results from the Trans-Tasman Radiation Oncology Group 96.01 randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2005; 6: 841–50, , et al.
- 8Bone mineral density in men treated with synthetic gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists for prostatic carcinoma. J Urol 1999; 161: 1219–22, , , , , .
- 9Pamidronate to prevent bone loss during androgen-deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 948–55, , et al.
- 10Raloxifene to prevent gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist-induced bone loss in men with prostate cancer: a randomized controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2004; 89: 3841–6, , , .
- 11Changes in bone mineral density and body composition during initial and long-term gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist treatment for prostate carcinoma. Cancer 2005; 104: 1633–7, , , .
- 12Risk of fracture after androgen deprivation for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 154–64, , , .
- 13Fracture risk following bilateral orchiectomy. J Urol 2003; 169: 1747–50, , , , , .
- 14Hip fractures in men with prostate cancer treated with orchiectomy. J Urol 2004; 172: 2208–12, , , .
- 15Impact numbers: measures of risk factor impact on the whole population from case-control and cohort studies. J Epidemiol Community Health 2002; 56: 606–10, , , .
- 16Fracture risk associated with use of antiepileptic drugs. Epilepsia 2004; 45: 1330–7, , .
- 17The risk and burden of vertebral fractures in Sweden. Osteoporos Int 2004; 15: 20–6, , et al.
- 18Asymptomatic vertebral deformity as a major risk factor for subsequent fractures and mortality: a long-term prospective study. J Bone Miner Res 2005; 20: 1349–55, , , , , .
- 19Vertebral fractures are highly prevalent in hip fracture patients: results from a 1 year consecutive cohort. J Bone Mineral Res 2006; Suppl. 1: S55, Abstract, , , .
- 20Risk of clinical fractures after gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist therapy for prostate cancer. J Urol 2006; 175: 136–9, , , , , .
- 21Fracture risk in patients with prostate cancer on androgen deprivation therapy. Osteoporos Int 2005; 16: 707–11, , , , , .
- 22Bone fractures associated with luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone agonists used in the treatment of prostate carcinoma. Cancer 1997; 79: 545–50, , , Jr.
- 23The antiosteoporotic efficacy of intravenous pamidronate in men with prostate carcinoma receiving combined androgen blockade: a double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled crossover study. Cancer 2001; 92: 1444–50, , et al.
- 24Zoledronic acid initiated during the first year of androgen deprivation therapy increases bone mineral density in patients with prostate cancer. J Urol 2006; 176: 972–8, , , , .
- 25Randomized phase II study of atrasentan alone or in combination with zoledronic acid in men with metastatic prostate cancer. Cancer 2006; 107: 530–5, , , , .
- 26Long-term efficacy of zoledronic acid for the prevention of skeletal complications in patients with metastatic hormone-refractory prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2004; 96: 879–82, , et al.
- 27A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial of oral sodium clodronate for metastatic prostate cancer (MRC PR05 Trial). J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95: 1300–11, , et al.
- 28Bone mineral density in patients with prostatic cancer treated with orchidectomy and with estrogens. Calcif Tissue Int 1995; 57: 97–9, , , .
- 29Phase IIA clinical trial to test the efficacy and safety of toremifene in men with high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Clin Prostate Cancer 2003; 2: 24–31, .
- 30A randomized phase II trial of the matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor BMS-275291 in hormone-refractory prostate cancer patients with bone metastases. Clin Cancer Res 2006; 12: 1556–63Jr, , et al.