What's known on the subject? and What does the study add?
It is known that timed intercourse that is planned to coincide with ovulation causes stress in women. In men premature ejaculation is more common than delayed ejaculation.
Timed intercourse imposes a substantial degree of stress on men. None of our study participants reported premature ejaculation, whereas delayed ejaculation was noted by 5.92% of the participants. Timed intercourse elevates anxiety levels, which leads to aggression. The men who required high doses of tadalafil had significantly higher scores on both the Beck Anxiety Inventory and the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire subscales (P< 0.001).
- • To understand the effect of stress incurred by timed intercourse (TI) on sexual dysfunction in relation to anxiety and aggression in men facing TI.
PATIENTS AND METHODS
- • This study involved 439 men and was conducted during a 3-year period between 1 July 2008 and 30 June 2011.
- • Various characteristics were evaluated, including newly acquired erectile dysfunction (ED), ejaculatory dysfunction (EjD), anxiety levels (using the Beck Anxiety Inventory [BAI]), self-reported aggression (using the Buss Perry Aggression Questionnaire [BPAQ]), hormone levels (such as follicle-stimulating hormone, luteinizing hormone, testosterone, prolactin and oestradiol) and semen parameters.
- • A total of 188 men (42.8%) and 26 men (5.92%) experienced ED and EjD, respectively.
- • Luteinizing hormone, testosterone and oestradiol were significantly lower in men with ED (P< 0.05).
- • The men who required high doses of tadalafil had significantly higher scores on both the BAI and the BPAQ subscales (P< 0.001).
- • BAI and subscales of BPAQ were higher in males with delayed ejaculation (P< 0.001).
- • TI imposes a great deal of stress on male partners, potentially causing ED and EjD, and elevates anxiety levels, which leads to aggression.
- • Physicians and clinicians should acknowledge the potentially harmful effects of TI on men.
- • Furthermore, both female and male patients should be cautioned about the increased likelihood of ED and EjD as the number of incidents of TI increases.