Discrediting microscopic pyuria and leucocyte esterase as diagnostic surrogates for infection in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms: results from a clinical and laboratory evaluation
Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
© 2013 BJU International
Volume 112, Issue 2, pages 231–238, July 2013
How to Cite
Kupelian, A. S., Horsley, H., Khasriya, R., Amussah, R. T., Badiani, R., Courtney, A. M., Chandhyoke, N. S., Riaz, U., Savlani, K., Moledina, M., Montes, S., O'Connor, D., Visavadia, R., Kelsey, M., Rohn, J. L. and Malone-Lee, J. (2013), Discrediting microscopic pyuria and leucocyte esterase as diagnostic surrogates for infection in patients with lower urinary tract symptoms: results from a clinical and laboratory evaluation. BJU International, 112: 231–238. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11694.x
- Issue online: 25 JUN 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JAN 2013
- International Urogynecology Association, and Research into Ageing
- 2Guidelines on the the Management of Male Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms (LUTS), incl. Benign Prostatic Obstruction (BPO), 2012. Arnem, European Association of Urology. Available at: http://www.uroweb.org/gls/pdf/12_Male_LUTS_LR.pdf. Accessed October 2012, , et al.
- 3The initial assessment of urinary incontinence in adult male and female patients. In Abrams P , Cardozo L , Khoury S , Wein A eds, Incontinence, 4th edn. Chapt. 5A. Paris: Health Publication Limited, 2009: 331–353, , et al.
- 7Some Observations on Pyuria. Proc R Soc Med 1928; 21: 1179–1183.
- 10The frequency and character of urinary tract infections in an unselected group of women. Ann Intern Med 1941; 14: 2220–2239.
- 18The urine dipstick test useful to rule out infections. A meta-analysis of the accuracy. BMC Urol 2004; 4: 4, , , .
- 20Guidelines on Urological Infections. 2011. Arnem, European Association of Urology. Available at: http://www.uroweb.org/gls/pdf/15_Urological_Infections.pdf. Accessed October 2012, , et al.
- 21Collecting midstream specimens of urine – the research base. Nurs Times 1991; 87: 49–52, , .