Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Creative Commons Deed, Attribution 2.5, which does not permit commercial exploitation.
Liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analogue, added to a sulphonylurea over 26 weeks produces greater improvements in glycaemic and weight control compared with adding rosiglitazone or placebo in subjects with Type 2 diabetes (LEAD-1 SU)
Article first published online: 14 JAN 2009
© 2009 The Authors. compilation © 2009 Diabetes UK
Volume 26, Issue 3, pages 268–278, March 2009
How to Cite
Marre, M., Shaw, J., Brändle, M., Bebakar, W. M. W., Kamaruddin, N. A., Strand, J., Zdravkovic, M., Le Thi, T. D., Colagiuri, S. and on behalf of the LEAD-1 SU study group (2009), Liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analogue, added to a sulphonylurea over 26 weeks produces greater improvements in glycaemic and weight control compared with adding rosiglitazone or placebo in subjects with Type 2 diabetes (LEAD-1 SU). Diabetic Medicine, 26: 268–278. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2009.02666.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Accepted 20 December 2008
- 2Management of hyperglycemia in Type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy: a consensus statement from the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2006; 29: 1963–1972., , , , , et al .
- 9Liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analogue, improves pancreatic B-cell function and arginine-stimulated insulin secretion during hyperglycaemia in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 2008; 25: 152–156., , , , , et al .
- 10One week's treatment with the long-acting glucagon-like peptide 1 derivative liraglutide (NN2211) markedly improves 24-h glycemia and alpha- and beta-cell function and reduces endogenous glucose release in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2004; 53: 1187–1194., , , , , et al .
- 12International Diabetes Federation. Global Guideline for Type 2 Diabetes. Brussels: International Diabetes Federation, 2005. Available at http://www.idf.org/home/index.cfm?node=1457 Last accessed 12 June 2008.
- 15Significantly better glycemic control and weight reduction with liraglutide, a once-daily human GLP-1 analog, compared with insulin glargine: all as add-on to metformin and a sulphonylurea in Type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2008; 57: P536., , , , , et al .
- 18Significantly better glycaemic control/weight reduction with human GLP-1 analogue liraglutide, than with insulin glargine: all as add-on to metformin + sulphonylurea in Type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia 2008; 51: S68., , , , , et al .
- 19Effect of the GLP-1 analogue liraglutide on glycaemic control and weight reduction in patients on metformin and rosiglitazone: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Diabetologia 2008; 51: S359., , , , , et al .
- 20Liraglutide: superior glycemic control vs exenatide when added to metformin and/or SU in Type 2 diabetes. Can J Diabetes 2008; 32: Abstract 107., , , , , et al .
- 21Efficacy and safety of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor, sitagliptin, in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled on glimepiride alone or on glimepiride and metformin. Diabetes Obes Metab 2007; 9: 733–745., , , , ,