Current address: School of Health Administration, Dalhousie University, 1318 Robie Street, Halifax, B3H 3E2, NS, Canada.
Can peer educators influence healthy eating in people with diabetes? Results of a randomized controlled trial
Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Diabetes UK
Volume 26, Issue 10, pages 1048–1054, October 2009
How to Cite
Cade, J. E., Kirk, S. F. L., Nelson, P., Hollins, L., Deakin, T., Greenwood, D. C. and Harvey, E. L. (2009), Can peer educators influence healthy eating in people with diabetes? Results of a randomized controlled trial. Diabetic Medicine, 26: 1048–1054. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2009.02808.x
- Issue online: 25 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 31 JUL 2009
- Accepted 30 June 2009
- 1Socio-economic status, obesity and prevalence of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabet Med 2000; 17: 478–480., , , , .
- 2WHO. Therapeutic Patient Education. Copenhagen: World Health Organization, 1998.
- 3Evidence suggesting that health education for self-management in patients with chronic arthritis has sustained health benefits while reducing health-care costs. Arthritis Rheum 1993; 36: 439–446., , .
- 4Evidence suggesting that a chronic disease self-management program can improve health status while reducing hospitalization—a randomized trial. Med Care 1999; 37: 5–14., , , , , et al.
- 5NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Complications of diabetes: renal disease and promotion of self-management. Effective Health Care Bulletin 2000; 6: 1–12.
- 6Educational and Psychosocial Interventions for Adults with Diabetes. London: British Diabetic Association, 1999., , , .
- 7Knowledge in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a longer term follow-up of a randomized controlled study of patient education leaflets. Br J Rheumatol 1998; 37: 373–376., .
- 8Expert Patient Programme. Available at http://www.expertpatients.co.uk/public/default.aspx Last accessed 5 August 2009.
- 9The Diabetes Empowerment Scale: a measure of psychosocial self-efficacy. Diabetes Care 2000; 23: 739–743., , , .
- 10The development of an individualised questionnaire measure of perceived impact of diabetes on quality of life. Qual Life Res 1999; 8: 79–91., , , , , et al.
- 11Peer advisers compared with specialist health professionals in delivering a training programme on self-management to people with diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. Diabet Med 2008; 25: 1076–1082., , , , , .
- 12Effectiveness of self-management training in type 2 diabetes—a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Diabetes Care 2001; 24: 561–587., , .
- 13Low Income Diet and Nutrition Survey. London: The Stationery Office, 2007., , , , .
- 14Group-based training for self-management strategies in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005; 18: CD003417., , , .
- 15Structured patient education: the Diabetes X-PERT Programme makes a difference. Diabet Med 2006; 23: 944–954., , , .
- 16EXpert Patient Education versus routine treatment (X-PERT): process evaluation. Diabetologia 2002; 45: 317., , , .
- 17Analysis of the 2004–2007 literature on therapeutic patient education in diabetes: results and trends. Acta Diabetol 2008; 45: 211–219., , .
- 18Self-management education programmes by lay leaders for people with chronic conditions. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009; issue 3., , , , .
- 19NPCRDC National Evaluation team. The National Evaluation of the Pilot Phase of the Expert Patients Programme: Final Report. Manchester: National Primary Care Research and Development Centre, 2006.