Original Article: Treatment
The views of patients with diabetes about nurse prescribing
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Diabetic Medicine © 2010 Diabetes UK
Volume 27, Issue 9, pages 1049–1054, September 2010
How to Cite
Courtenay, M., Stenner, K. and Carey, N. (2010), The views of patients with diabetes about nurse prescribing. Diabetic Medicine, 27: 1049–1054. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2010.03051.x
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2010
- Accepted 28 May 2010
- 1Audit Commission. Testing times: A review of diabetes services in England and Wales. London: Audit Commission 2000.
- 2World Health Organisation (WHO). The World Health Report – Working Together for Health. Geneva: WHO 2006.
- 3Department of Health (DoH). Making a Difference: Strengthening the Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting Contribution to Healthcare. London: DoH 1999.
- 4DoH. The NHS Plan. A Plan for Investment, a Plan for Reform. London: DoH 2000.
- 5Preparing nurses to prescribe medicines for patients with diabetes: a national survey. J Adv Nurs 2008; 61: 291–299., .
- 6A survey of therapy areas in which nurses prescribe and CPD needs. Nurse Prescribing 2009; 7: 255–262., .
- 7Doctors’ views on supervising nurse prescribers. Prescriber 2004; 5: 56–61., , .
- 8Impact of nurse prescribing: a qualitative study. J Adv Nurs 2007; 59: 120–128., .
- 9Stakeholder views on the implementation of nurse prescribing in dermatology services. J Clin Nurs 2009; 19: 498–506., , .
- 10Attitudes towards, and information needs in relation to supplementary nurse prescribing in the UK: an empirical study. J Clin Nurs 2006; 15: 22–28., , .
- 11Independent nurse prescribing in the mental health setting. Nursing Times 2007; 103: 30–31..
- 12Nurse prescriber-patient consultations: a case study in dermatology. J Adv Nurs 2009; 65: 1207–1217., , .
- 13The patient’s view: the benefits and limitations of nurse prescribing. Br J Community Nurs 2001; 6: 342–348., , , , .
- 14Nurse-patient relationships: the context of nurse prescribing. J Adv Nurs 1998; 28: 235–242., , , , .
- 15Mental health service users’ views of nurse prescribing. Nurse Prescribing 2003; 1: 78–85..
- 16Introducing nurse prescribing in a memory clinic. Dementia 2008; 7: 139–160., , .
- 17Perceptions and practice of concordance in nurses’ prescribing consultations: findings from a national questionnaire survey and case studies of practice in England. Int J Nurs Stud 2007; 44: 9–18., , , .
- 18Mental health nurse supplementary prescribing: experiences of mental helath nurses, psychiatrists and patients. J Adv Nurs 2007; 59: 488–496., , , , .
- 19An exploration of the practices of nurse prescribers who care for people with diabetes: A case study. J Nurs Healthcare Chronic Illness 2009; 1: 311–320., , .
- 20Listening to diabetes service users: qualitative findings for the Diabetes National Service Framework. London: DoH 2001., , .
- 21Nurse independent prescribing and nurse supplementary prescribing: national survey. J Adv Nurs 2008; 61: 291–299., .
- 22National Independent Evaluation of the Nurse and Midwife Prescribing Initiative. Dublin: University College Dublin 2009., , , , , et al.
- 23Patients’ accounts of the differences in nurses’ and general practitoner’ roles in primary care. J Adv Nurs 2007; 57: 172–180., , , , .
- 24Patients’ attitudes towards, and information needs in relation to, nurse prescribing in Rheumatology. J Clin Nurs 2008; 17: 266–273., , .
- 25An evaluation of the extension of nurse prescribing in Scotland. Scottish Government Social Research. Edinburgh: University of Stirling 2009., , , .
- 26DoH. Working Together for Better Diabetes Care. London: DoH 2007.
- 27Healthcare Commission. Improving Services for People with Diabetes. London: Commission for Healthcare Audit and inspection 2007.
- 28How nurse prescribing is being used in diabetes services: views of nurses and team members. J Nurs Healthcare Chronic Illness 2010; 2: 13–21., , .