Diabetes UK Position Statements and Care Recommendations
The current status of diabetes professional educational standards and competencies in the UK—a Position Statement from the Diabetes UK Healthcare Professional Education Competency Framework Task and Finish Group
Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Diabetic Medicine © 2011 Diabetes UK
Volume 28, Issue 12, pages 1501–1507, December 2011
How to Cite
Walsh, N., George, S., Priest, L., Deakin, T., Vanterpool, G., Karet, B. and Simmons, D. (2011), The current status of diabetes professional educational standards and competencies in the UK—a Position Statement from the Diabetes UK Healthcare Professional Education Competency Framework Task and Finish Group. Diabetic Medicine, 28: 1501–1507. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2011.03411.x
- Issue online: 17 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 12 AUG 2011 02:48PM EST
- Accepted 8 August 2011
- 1Key Statistics on Diabetes. London: Diabetes UK, 2010..
- 3International Diabetic Federation. Facts and Figures. 2008. Available at http://www.iaf.org Last accessed 30 September 2008.
- 4Department of Health. General Practice in the National Health Service: The 1990 Contract. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1989.
- 5Department of Health. The NHS (Primary Care) Act 1997. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1997.
- 6Department of Health. The New NHS: Modern and Dependable. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1997.
- 7Department of Health. A First Class Service. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1998.
- 8Department of Health. Choosing Health. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 2005.
- 9Department of Health. Commissioning a Patient- Led NHS. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 2005.
- 10Department of Health. Our health, Our Care, Our Say. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 2006.
- 11Department of Health. High Quality Care for All: Next Stage Review Final Report. CM7432. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 2008.
- 12Department of Health. A High Quality Workforce: NHS Next Stage Review. London: Her Majesty’s Stationary Office, 2008.
- 13Department of Health. Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 2010.
- 14Diabetes UK. Measuring Diabetes Standards. London: Diabetes UK, 2010.
- 15Department of Health. Agenda for Change: National Job Profiles. London: Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 2005.
- 16Skills for Health. Career Framework Descriptors. 2008. London. Available at http://www.skillsforhealth.org.uk/~/media/ResourceLbrary2/PDF/Career_Framework_level_descriptors.ashx Last accessed 16 October 2010.
- 17NHS Employers. Knowledge and Skills Framework. London: NHS Employers, 2004. Available at http://www.nhsemployers.org/PayAndContracts/AgendaForChange/KSF/ Last accessed February 2011.
- 18Australian Nurses Federation. Competency Standards for Nurses in General Practice. Australia: Australian Nurses Federation, 2006.
- 19Mid Central District Health Board. National Diabetes Nursing Knowledge and Skills Framework. MidCentral: New Zealand Mid Central District Health Board, 2009. Available at http://www.midcentraldhb.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/0910E45F-BA6B-4D7B-9B13-7CAED0CC8312/0/DiabetesFrameworkWeb.pdf Last accessed March 2011.
- 20TREND-UK. An Integrated Career and Competency Framework for Diabetes Nursing. 3rd edn. London: SB Communications, 2011.
- 25Learning and Working: The Occupational Socialisation of Nurses. London: Tavistock Publications, 1987..
- 26Closing the Theory–Practice Gap. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 1996..
- 27Reach, Touch and Teach. London: McGraw Hill, 1970..
- 28From Novice to Expert. Menlo Park: Addison–Wesley, 1984..
- 29Educating the Reflective Practitioner: Toward a New Design of Teaching and Learning in the Professions. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1987..
- 30Learning by Doing: A Guide to Teaching and Learning Methods. London: Further Education Unit, 1988..
- 31Burns S, Bulman C, eds. Reflective Practice in Nursing. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2000.
- 32Becoming a Reflective Practitioner: A Reflective and Holistic Approach to Clinical Nursing, Practice Development and Clinical Supervision. Oxford: Blackwell Science, 2000..
- 34Beginning Reflective Practice. Cheltenham: Nelson Thornes, 2003..
- 36The Challenge of Problem-Based Learning. London: Kogan Page, 1998., .
- 37Riding the Diabetes Rollercoaster: A New Approach for Health Professionals, Patients and Carers. Oxford: Radcliffe, 2007., .
- 39Sweeney K, Griffiths F, eds. Complexity and Healthcare: An Introduction. Oxford: Radcliffe, 2002.
- 43The Discovery of Grounded Theory: Strategies for Qualitative Research. New York: Aldine Publishing Company, 1967., .
- 44Grounded theory: objectivist and constructivist methods. In: Denzin N, Lincoln Y, eds. Handbook of Qualitative Research. 2nd edn. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2000: 509–535..
- 46The Adult Learner: The Definitive Classic in Adult Education and Human Resource Development. 6th edn. San Diego: Elsevier, 2005., , .