We are especially grateful to Craig MacPhee, Jack Hou, Clement Wong, Janice Hauge, and Jean-Claude Maswana for insightful comments and to Elvis Fong for providing outstanding research assistance. We also thank two anonymous referees and Craig Depken for providing excellent suggestions on an earlier draft. An earlier version of this article was presented at the Western Economic Association International 85th Annual Conference, Portland (Oregon), June 29–July 3, 2010.
TRADE, STRUCTURAL REFORM, AND INSTITUTIONS IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA
Article first published online: 20 SEP 2012
© 2012 Western Economic Association International
Contemporary Economic Policy
Volume 32, Issue 1, pages 20–29, January 2014
How to Cite
ASSANE, D. and CHIANG, E. P. (2014), TRADE, STRUCTURAL REFORM, AND INSTITUTIONS IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA. Contemporary Economic Policy, 32: 20–29. doi: 10.1111/j.1465-7287.2012.00338.x
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2013
- Article first published online: 20 SEP 2012
- Did External Barriers Cause the Marginalization of Sub-Saharan Africa in World Trade? Washington, DC: World Bank, 1996. , , and .
- “Insecurity and the Pattern of Trade: An Empirical Investigation.” Review of Economics and Statistics, 84, 2002, 342–52. , and .
- 2000. , and . “Trade Implies Law: The Power of the Weak.” NBER Working Paper No. 7702,
- “A Generalized Design for Bilateral Trade Flow Models.” Economics Letters, 80, 2003, 391–97. , , and .
- “Controlling for Heterogeneity in Gravity Models of Trade Integration.” Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis Review, 87, 2005, 49–63. , and .
- “North-South Trade: Is Africa Unusual?” Journal of African Economies, 8, 1999, 228–56. , and .
- “Explaining African Economic Performance.” Journal of Economic Literature, 37, 1999, 64–111. , and .
- 2003. , , and . “The Institutional Determinants of Bilateral Trade Patterns.” Tinbergen Institute Discussion Paper 03-044/3,
- “Asymmetric Effects of Economic Freedom on International Trade Flows.” International Journal of Business and Economics, 4, 2005, 141–55. , and .
- Regional Trading Blocs in the World System. Washington, DC: Institute for International Economics, 1997.
- “Estimating Trade Flows: Trading Partners and Trade Volumes.” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 123, 2008, 441–87. , , and .
- International Monetary Fund. Direction of Trade Statistics, Yearbook 2007. Washington, DC: International Monetary Fund, 2007.
- “Institutional Quality and International Trade.” Review of Economic Studies, 74, 2007, 791–819.Direct Link:
- “Tests for Specification Errors in Classical Linear Least Squares Regression Analysis.” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, 31, 1969, 350–71.
- Contract Enforcement and the Volume of International Trade in Different Types of Goods. Mimeo, University of California, Irvine, 2003. , and .
- 2002. , , and . “Institutions Rule: Primacy of Institutions over Geography and Integration in Economic Development.” CEPR Working Paper No. 8119,
- “One Money, One Market: The Effect of Common Currencies on Trade.” Economic Policy, 15, 2000, 7–46.
- “Do We Really Know That the WTO Increases Trade?” American Economic Review, 94, 2004, 98–114.
- “The Log of Gravity.” Review of Economics and Statistics, 88, 2006, 641–58. , and .
- Economic Forecasts and Policy. Amsterdam, The Netherlands: North-Holland, 1961.
- 1996. “Intra-National versus International Trade: How Stubborn Are Nation States in Globalization?” NBER Working Paper No. 5331,