I thank Shan Zhou for excellent research assistance, Paul Montella of the Associated Press for providing me with the 2006 ballots and helpful discussion, Andrew Nutting for sharing data and discussion, and Edi Karni, Matt Shum, Joe Aldy, Tumenjargal Enkhbayar, Liz Schroeder, Carol Horton Tremblay, Stephen Shore, Peyton Young, Basit Zafar, and seminar participants at the Econometric Society 2009 North American Summer Meeting and 2009 IAREP/SABE joint meeting for helpful comments. Two referees and the coeditor (especially) also provided very helpful feedback. I thank Andrew Nutting for providing the data set used for this analysis. The data sets used for the article's main analysis do not include ranks on teams for each week throughout the seasons, only the first half of each season and final ranks. I do not find evidence of precision increasing substantially in just the first half of seasons. I thank an anonymous referee for suggesting this. The Sagarin rankings are a component of the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) rankings along with other computer rankings. I cannot use the BCS rankings because they are not computed after the bowls. I use the Sagarin ratings because they were easily obtainable and I expect other computer rankings would yield similar results.
TESTING BAYESIAN UPDATING WITH THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TOP 25
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2012
© 2012 Western Economic Association International
Volume 51, Issue 2, pages 1457–1474, April 2013
How to Cite
STONE, D. F. (2013), TESTING BAYESIAN UPDATING WITH THE ASSOCIATED PRESS TOP 25. Economic Inquiry, 51: 1457–1474. doi: 10.1111/j.1465-7295.2011.00431.x
- Issue online: 26 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!