Cultural competency and nursing care: an Australian perspective
Article first published online: 23 JAN 2006
International Nursing Review
Volume 53, Issue 1, pages 34–40, March 2006
How to Cite
Chenowethm, L., Jeon, Y.-H., Goff, M. and Burke, C. (2006), Cultural competency and nursing care: an Australian perspective. International Nursing Review, 53: 34–40. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-7657.2006.00441.x
- Issue published online: 23 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 23 JAN 2006
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2000) Older People, New South Wales. ABS Catalogue number 3101.0. Canberra, ACT.
- Australian Nursing Council Incorporated (ANCI) (2001) Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses in Australia. Australian Nursing Council Incorporated, Canberra, ACT.
- 1998) Contesting competency: cultural safety in advanced nursing practice. Collegian, 5 (4), 9–21. (
- 1993) Nursing and Nursing Education in Multicultural Australia. David Lovell Publishing, Melbourne. & (
- 1996) Health in Australia. Sociological Concepts and Issues. Prentice Hall, Sydney. , ed. (
- 2003) Foreword: transcultural nursing and challenging the status quo. Contemporary Nurse, 15 (3), v–x. (
- 2002) Primary health care of Korean immigrants: sustaining a culturally sensitive model. Public Health Nursing, 19 (3), 191–200. , et al. (
- 2004) West isn’t always the best. Nursing Review, August, 4. (
- 1991) Leininger's acculturation health care assessment tool for cultural patterns in traditional and non-traditional life ways. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 2 (2), 40–42. (
- 2004) Culturally sensitive evidence-based practice. Collegian, 11 (4), 14–19. (
- New South Wales Health (2000) Pre-registration assessment of overseas qualified nurses. Office of the Chief Nursing Officer-Policy Statement GNB/8. NSW Department of Health, Sydney.
- New South Wales Health (2001) Guidelines for the production of multilingual health resources by area health services, NSW Health Department and NGOs funded by NSW Health. NSW Health Policy Statement 2001/99. NSW Department of Health, Sydney.
- New South Wales Health (2002) New South Wales Adult Health Survey (Vol 14, No S4). NSW Department of Health, Sydney.
- New South Wales Health (2003) NSW Aboriginal Chronic Disease Service Framework. August, NSW Department of Health, Sydney.
- 2004) Setting the standard. Nursing Review, August, 26. (
- 1998) Cultural safety: a new concept in nursing people of different ethnicities. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27, 452–457. (
- 2003) Dementia aged care and ethnic communities. Conference paper. In Alzheimer's Australia and Ethic. Communities Council of Victoria Annual Conference, 3–5 December. Melbourne, Victoria. (
- South East Health (2000) Cultural Competence in Health Care. Policy Statement. South East Health, Sydney.
- 2000) The ethical dimensions of delivering culturally congruent nursing and health care. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 21, 325–340. & (