On behalf of the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers and Associations Influenza Vaccine Supply task force (IFPMA IVS).
Protecting patients, protecting healthcare workers: a review of the role of influenza vaccination
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Author. International Nursing Review © 2011 International Council of Nurses
International Nursing Review
Volume 59, Issue 2, pages 161–167, June 2012
How to Cite
Music, T. (2012), Protecting patients, protecting healthcare workers: a review of the role of influenza vaccination. International Nursing Review, 59: 161–167. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-7657.2011.00961.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
- Issue online: 17 MAY 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2011
- American Academy of Pediatrics (2010) Policy statement – recommendation for mandatory influenza immunization of all health care personnel. Pediatrics, 126, 809–815.
- 2008) Outbreaks of influenza A among nonvaccinated healthcare workers: implications for resource-limited settings. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 29, 777–780. , et al. (
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (2011) APIC calls for mandatory annual flu immunization of healthcare workers. Available at: http://www.apic.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Featured_News_and_Events&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=17428 (accessed April 2011).
- 2009) Vaccination coverage rates in eleven European countries during two consecutive influenza seasons. The Journal of Infection, 58, 441–453. , & (
- 1999) Additional cost savings of an effective employee influenza program on prevention of nosocomial influenza. American Journal of Infection Control, 27, 177–178. , & (
- 2000) Effects of influenza vaccination of health-care workers on mortality of elderly people in long-term care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 355 (9198), 93–97. , et al. (
- 2005) Assessment of efficacy and economic impact of an influenza vaccination campaign in the personnel of a health care setting. La Medicina Del Lavoro, 96 (6), 483–489. , , & (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2010) Prevention and control of influenza with vaccines. MMWR Early Release, 59, 1–62.
- 2000) An outbreak of influenza A in a neonatal intensive care unit. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 21, 449–454. , et al. (
- 1996) Incidence and recall of influenza in a cohort of Glasgow healthcare workers during the 1993–4 epidemic: results of serum testing and questionnaire. BMJ, 313, 1241–1242. , et al. (
- 2006) Effectiveness of an influenza vaccine programme for care home staff to prevent death, morbidity, and health service use among residents: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ, 333, 1241–1244. , et al. (
- 1995) Knowledge and attitudes of healthcare workers about influenza: why are they not getting vaccinated. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 16, 412–414. , et al. (
- 2006) Influenza vaccination of healthcare workers: a literature review of attitudes and beliefs. Infect, 34 (3), 142–147. , , & (
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (2010) IDSA policy on mandatory immunization of health care workers against seasonal and pandemic influenza. Available at: http://www.idsociety.org/uploadedFiles/IDSA/Policy_and_Advocacy/Current_Topics_and_Issues/Immunizations_and_Vaccines/Health_Care_Worker_Immunization/Statements/IDSA%20Policy%20on%20Mandatory%20Immunization%20Revision%20083110.pdf (accessed April 2011).
- International Council of Nurses (2009) Immunisations for health-care workers: influenza and hepatitis B. Available at: http://www.icn.ch/images/stories/documents/publications/fact_sheets/4d_FS-Immunisations_HC_workers.pdf (accessed April 2011).
- 2010) Differences in national influenza vaccination policies across the European Union, Norway and Iceland 2008–2009. Euro Surveillance, 15 (44), pii=19700. , et al. (
- 2010) Report from the SAGE working group on influenza vaccines and immunizations. Available at: http://www.who.int/immunization/sage/nov2010_sage_influenza_wg_update_miller.pdf (accessed April 2011). (
- National Patient Safety Foundation (2009) National Patient Safety Foundation supports mandatory flu vaccinations for healthcare workers. Available at: http://www.npsf.org/pr/pressrel/2009-11-18.php (accessed April 2011).
- 2009) Influenza prevention survey at Mayo Clinic. Presented at US National Influenza Vaccine Summit. Available at: http://www.preventinfluenza.org/NIVS_2009/3-Ofstead.pdf (accessed April 2011). (
- 2008) Use of a mandatory declination form in a program for influenza vaccination of healthcare workers. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 29, 302–308. , et al. (
- 2009) Expansion of seasonal influenza vaccination in the Americas. BMC Public Health, 9, 361. , et al. (
- 2002) Influenza in the acute hospital setting. The Lancet Infectious Diseases, 2, 145–155. , , & (
- 2004) Preventing nosocomial influenza by improving the vaccine acceptance rate of clinicians. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 25, 923–928. , , & (
- 2002) Disruption of services in an internal medicine unit due to a nosocomial influenza outbreak. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 23, 615–619. , et al. (
- 1999) Randomized, placebo-controlled double blind study on the efficacy of influenza immunization on absenteeism of health care workers. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal, 18 (9), 779–783. & (
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (2010) Revised SHEA position paper: influenza vaccination of healthcare personnel. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 31 (10), 987–995.
- 2002) Healthcare workers and their attitudes to influenza vaccination. Communicable Disease and Public Health, 5 (3), 247–252. , & (
- 2005) Influenza vaccination among healthcare workers in a university children's hospital. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 26, 855–858. , , & (
- The Macroepidemiology of Influenza Vaccination (MIV) Study Group (2005) The macroepidemiology of influenza vaccination in 56 countries, 1997–2003. Vaccine, 23, 5133–5143.
- UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs Population Division (2009) World Population Prospects, The 2008 Revision. Volume I: Comprehensive Tables.
- WHA (2003) Prevention and control of influenza pandemics and annual epidemics. Fifty-sixth World Health Assembly resolution WHA56.19.
- WHO (2000) Influenza vaccines. Weekly Epidemiological Record, 35, 281–288.
- WHO (2005) Influenza vaccines WHO position paper. Weekly Epidemiological Record, 33, 279–287.
- WHO (2009a) Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on Immunization – report of the extraordinary meeting on the influenza A(H1N1) 2009 pandemic, 7 July 2009. Weekly Epidemiological Record, 84, 301–308.
- WHO (2009b) Influenza (seasonal) fact sheet number 211. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs211/en/index.html# (accessed April 2011).