How much water do we really need?
Version of Record online: 12 NOV 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 British Nutrition Foundation
Volume 33, Issue 4, pages 336–342, December 2008
How to Cite
Lunn, J. and Foxen, R. (2008), How much water do we really need?. Nutrition Bulletin, 33: 336–342. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-3010.2008.00724.x
- Issue online: 12 NOV 2008
- Version of Record online: 12 NOV 2008
- Members of the Rochester Desert Unit (1947) Physiology of Man in the Desert. Interscience: New York. &
- BBC News (2008) Lots of water ‘is little benefit’. 3 April 2008. Available at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7326437.stm
- Daily Mail (2008a) Not a drop of evidence eight glasses of water is good for you, say experts. 3 April 2008. Available at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-554629/Not-drop-evidence-glasses-water-good-say-experts.html
- Daily Mail (2008b) Water ‘detox’ robbed me of my wife. 27 June 2008. Available at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1038829/Water-detox-robbed-wife.html
- Daily Mirror (2008) No proof 8 glasses of water a day aid health. 3 April 2008. Available at: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2008/04/03/no-proof-8-glasses-of-water-a-day-aid-health-89520-20371087/
- Daily Telegraph (2008) No benefit in drinking eight glasses of water a day, scientists say. 3 April 2008. Available at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1583752/No-benefit-in-drinking-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day%2C-scientists-say.html
- 2006) De Belgische Voedselconsumptiepeiling 1-2004. Wetenschappelijk Instituut Volksgezondheid, WIV/EPI REPORTS N2006-016, Depotnummer D/2006/2505/17. , , et al. (
- DH (Department of Health) (1991) Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom. HMSO: London.
- EFSA (European Safety Authority) (2008) Dietary reference values for water. The EFSA Journal 1–49.
- FNB (Food and Nutrition Board) (2004) Dietary Reference Intakes: Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. The National Academies Press: Washington DC.
- FSA (Food Standards Agency) (2008) Eat Well, Be Well. Helping you make healthier choices. Available at: http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/drinks/drinkingenough/
- 2004) Hydration: Fluids for Life. A monograph by the North American Branch of the International Life Science Institute. ILSI North America: Washington DC. & (
- 2003) The effect on hydration of two diets, one with and one without plain water. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 22: 165– 73. , , et al. (
- 2002) The National Diet and Nutrition Survey: Adults Aged 19 to 64 Years. Volume 1: Types and Quantities of Foods Consumed. The Stationery Office: London. , & (
- 1996) Energy and Macronutrient Requirements for Work at High Altitudes. In Nutritional Needs in Cold and High-Altitude Environments: Applications for Military Personnel in Field Operations (Eds. Committee on Military Nutrition Research) Institute of Medicine: Washington DC. & (
- IOM (Institute of Medicine) (2006) Dietary Reference Intakes. The Essential Guide to Nutrient Requirements. The National Academies: Washington, DC.
- 1999) Water: an essential but overlooked nutrient. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 99: 200–6. (
- 1956) Human Perspiration. Charles C. Thomas Publisher: Springfield, IL. (
- 2005) The importance of good hydration for the prevention of chronic diseases. Nutrition Reviews 63: S2–5. & (
- 2008) Just add water. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology 19: 1041–43. & (
- 1930) Measurement of total water exchange. Journal of Clinical Investigation 8: 161–196. , & (
- NHMRC (National Health and Medical Research Council) (2006) Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand. Including Recommended Dietary Intakes. Commonwealth of Australia: Canberra.
- 1970) Variation in total body water with muscle glycogen changes in man. Acta Physiologica Scandinavica 80: 11–8. & (
- 2001) Hyponatremia associated with overhydration in US army trainees. Military Medicine 166: 405–10. , , et al. (
- 1955) Human energy expenditure. Physiology Review 35: 801–40. & (
- 2006) A new proposed guidance system for beverage consumption in the United States. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 83: 529–42. , , et al. (
- 2006) Energiedichte der Nahrung: Welche Rollen Spielen Kohlenhydrate? Akt Ernähr-Med 31: S28– S36. (
- 2005) The importance of good hydration for day-to-day health. Nutrition Reviews 63: S6–13. & (
- The Guardian (2008) Scientists pour cold water on drink theory. 3 April 2008. Available at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/apr/03/medicalresearch.health
- The Independent (2008) Drinking eight glasses of water a day is healthy, right? Wrong. 3 April 2008. Available at: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/drinking-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-is-healthy-right-wrong-803993.html
- The Sun (2008) Dangers of detox diets. 23 June 2008/ Available at: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/health/health/article1461584.ece
- 2008) Understanding clinical dehydration and its treatment. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 9: 292–301. , , et al. (
- 2001) Food consumption patterns in Italy: the INN-CA study 1994–1996. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 55: 571–88. , , , et al. (
- 2000) Enquête individuelle et nationale sur les consommations alimentaires. Tec & Doc Lavoisier: Paris. , . (
- WHO (World Health Organization) (2005) Nutrients in drinking water. Available at: http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutrientsbegin.pdf