*We would like to thank the JIE Editor and three anonymous referees for their extremely helpful comments. Also, the participants of seminars at OFT, the Paris School of Economics, Toulouse School of Economics, CERGE-EI (Prague), Cyprus University, the University of St. Andrews and at the Conference on ‘Innovation and Competition in the New Economy,’ University of Milan, Bicocca (May 4–5, 2007) and the 3rd CRESSE Conference on ‘Competition Policy: Procedures, Institutions, IPRs,’ Anavyssos, Greece (4–5, July, 2008). We are particularly grateful to A. Fletcher, V. Korah, P. Rey, M. Salinger, D. Spector and F. Verboven for their suggestions and/or comments on earlier versions. Of course all errors, ambiguities and inaccuracies remain our responsibility. Some of the research in producing this paper was undertaken when both authors were visiting the ESRC Centre for Economic Learning and Social Evolution (ELSE) at University College London (March, 2007 and February, 2008) and the Toulouse School of Economics (November, 2007), whose hospitality we gratefully acknowledge.
ON OPTIMAL LEGAL STANDARDS FOR COMPETITION POLICY: A GENERAL WELFARE-BASED ANALYSIS*
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Blackwell Publishing Ltd. and the Editorial Board of The Journal of Industrial Economics
The Journal of Industrial Economics
Special Issue: CRESSE SYMPOSIUM ON COMPETITION POLICY: PROCEDURES, INSTITUTIONS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS Edited by Yannis Katsoulacos and David Ulph
Volume 57, Issue 3, pages 410–437, September 2009
How to Cite
KATSOULACOS, Y. and ULPH, D. (2009), ON OPTIMAL LEGAL STANDARDS FOR COMPETITION POLICY: A GENERAL WELFARE-BASED ANALYSIS. The Journal of Industrial Economics, 57: 410–437. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6451.2009.00393.x
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2009
- 2004, ‘The Antitrust Economics of Tying: A Farewell to Per Se Illegality,’ The Antitrust Bulletin, 49. ; and ,
- 2005, ‘The Logic and Limits of the “Exceptional Circumstances Test” in Magill and IMS Health,’ Fordham International Law Journal. ; and ,
- 1999, ‘Decision Theory and Antitrust Rules,’ Antitrust Law Journal, 67, pp. 41–76. and ,
- 2008, ‘Does Antitrust Need to be Modernized?,’ Journal of Economic Perspectives, (forthcoming). ,
- 2006, ‘Competition Policy with Optimally Differentiated Rules Instead of “Per Se Rules Vs. Rule of Reason”,’ Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 2, pp. 215–244. and ,
- EAGCP [Economic Advisory Group for Competition Policy, 2005, ‘An Economic Approach to Article 82.’Report for the DG Competition, July 2005. Available at: http://europa.eu.int/comm/competition/publications/ (last visited 4/21/2006).
- 1984, ‘The Limits of Antitrust’, Texas Law Review, 63, reprinted in Competition Policy International, 179, (2005). ,
- 1974, ‘An Economic Analysis of Legal Rulemaking,’ Journal of Legal Studies, 3, pp. 257–286. and ,
- 2004, ‘Designing Antitrust Rules for Assessing Unilateral Practices: A Neo-Chicago Approach’, CEMFI Working Paper, No. 0417. and ,
- 2005, ‘Excessive Prices: Using Economics to Define Administrable Legal Rules,’ Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 1, pp. 97–122. and ,
- 2005, ‘Limiting the scope of article 82 of the EC Treaty: What can the EU learn from the US Supreme Court's judgement in Trinko in the wake of Microsoft IMS and Deutsche Telecom?,’ Common Market Law Review. ,
- 2001, ‘Tying Law and Policy: A Decision Theoretic Approach,’ Antitrust Law Journal, 69, pp. 469–526. and ,
- Image Technical Services, Inc. v. Eastman Kodak Co. (Kodak), 125 F.3d 1195 (9th Circ. 1997).
- 2008, ‘Judicial Errors and Innovative Activity’, mimeo. and ,
- IMS Health and NDC Health v. Commission Case C-418/01 (2004), ECR I-5039.
- In re Independent Service Organizations Antitrust Litigation (Xerox), 203 F.3d 1322 (Fed. Cir. 2000).
- 2002, ‘Transaction Cost Economics, Antitrust Rules, and Remedies,’ Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, 18, pp. 95–116. ,
- 2008 ‘Optimal Legal Standards for Refusals to license IP: An Welfare Based Analysis?’ Discussion Paper, Athens University of Economics & Business, see http://www.cresse.info (Publications). Journal of Competition Law and Economics. ,
- 2007, ‘On Optimal Legal Standards for Competition Policy When Firms Do Not Know the Welfare Implications of their Actions’, Discussion Paper 190, Athens University of Economics & Business, see http://www.cresse.info (Publications). and ,
- 2008, ‘Optimal Antitrust Rules: The Welfare Implications of Judicial Reviews and Multi-stage Procedures’, mimeo, Athens University of Economics & Business, Athens, Grece. and ,
- 2009a, ‘Modelling Legal Uncertainty’, Discussion Paper, available in http://www.cresse.info under Publications. and ,
- 2009b, ‘Optimal Enforcement Structures for Competition Policy’, Discussion Paper, available in http://www.cresse.info under Publications. and ,
- 2004, ‘IMS and Microsoft Judged in the Cold Light of IMS,’ The Competition Law Review, 1. ,
- 2005, ‘Innovation, Leveraging and Essential Facilities: Interoperability Licensing in the EU Microsoft Case’, World Competition. ,
- Magill (ITP, BBC and RTE v. Commission) Cases C241/91 and C242/91 (1995), ECR I-743.
- 1955, ‘The Per Se Doctrine and the new Rule of Reason,’ Southern Economic Journal, 22, pp. 22–31. ,
- 2004, Competition Policy. Theory and Practice (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press). ,
- 2005, ‘Refusal to Deal and ‘Essential Facilities’: Does Intellectual Property Require Special Deference Compared to Tangible Property?,’ World Competition, 28, pp. 281–298. ,
- 2006, ‘Looking for the Keys under the Lamppost: Insights from Economics into Standards for Unilateral Conduct’, Comments for ABA Section of Antitrust Law. ,
- 2009, ‘Optimal Merger Policy,’ Journal of Industrial Economics (this issue). ,
- Supreme Court of USA, 2007, ‘Leegin vs. PSKS Inc.’ Decision No. 06-480, June 28th 2007.
- 2000, ‘Toward a Flexible Rule of Reason,’ Antitrust Law Journal, 68, pp. 391–428. and ,
- 2005, ‘Abuse of Market Power,’ Economic Journal, 115, pp. 244–261. ,
- 2007a, ‘Competition Law and Economics: a mid-Atlantic Viewpoint’, The Burell Lecture of the Competition Law Association, European Competition Journal. ,
- 2007b, ‘Economics and the Competition Rules’, Presentation at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, 12 Sept. 2007. ,
- 2006, Lectures in Antitrust Economics (MIT Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA). ,
- 2006 ‘Optimal Antitrust Fines: Theory and Practice’, World Competition, 29. ,