The authors would like to thank Brenda Major, J. Sidney Shrauger, as well as the editor, C. Peter Herman, and two anonymous reviewers for their insightful comments on an earlier draft of this paper.
On knowing when to quit: Task failure, self-esteem, advice, and nonproductive persistence
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Journal of Personality
Volume 52, Issue 2, pages 138–155, June 1984
How to Cite
McFarlin, D. B., Baumeister, R. F. and Blascovich, J. (1984), On knowing when to quit: Task failure, self-esteem, advice, and nonproductive persistence. Journal of Personality, 52: 138–155. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6494.1984.tb00349.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- Manuscript received June 9, 1983; revised October 21, 1983
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!