I am grateful to William T Powers for his constructive suggestions about the application of control theory to success avoidance, and I thank Morag Donaldson and four anonymous reviewers for helpful comments on earlier drafts Requests for reprints should be sent to Michael E Hyland, Department of Psychology, Plymouth Polytechnic, Plymouth PL4 8AA, England
There Is No Motive to Avoid Success: The Compromise Explanation for Success-Avoiding Behavior
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Journal of Personality
Volume 57, Issue 3, pages 665–693, September 1989
How to Cite
Hyland, M. E. (1989), There Is No Motive to Avoid Success: The Compromise Explanation for Success-Avoiding Behavior. Journal of Personality, 57: 665–693. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6494.1989.tb00567.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Manuscript received February 1 1988 revised November 15 1988
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!