We gratefully acknowledge David Buss for his detailed comments and many patient and helpful discussions of the issues addressed in this article Dan Weinberger for his assistance as our local “personologist” in residence, Don Brown, W D Hamilton, Don Symons, and two anonymous reviewers for their extensive and detailed comments on earlier versions of this article, Jerry Barkow, Martin Daly, Roger Shepard, and Margo Wilson for assorted ideas, feedback, and inspiration, and Roger Shepard (and NSF Grant BNS 85–11685 to Roger Shepard) and Irven DeVore for their ongoing support of our efforts We would also like to thank Kathleen Much for her help with the manuscript, and the Gordon P Getty Trust and the Harry Frank Guggenheim Foundation for their financial support Correspondence should be addressed to John Tooby or Leda Cosmides, Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, 202 Jumpero Serra Boulevard, Stanford, CA 94305
On the Universality of Human Nature and the Uniqueness of the Individual: The Role of Genetics and Adaptation
Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
Journal of Personality
Volume 58, Issue 1, pages 17–67, March 1990
How to Cite
Tooby, J. and Cosmides, L. (1990), On the Universality of Human Nature and the Uniqueness of the Individual: The Role of Genetics and Adaptation. Journal of Personality, 58: 17–67. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6494.1990.tb00907.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2006
- Manuscript received October 12, 1988, revised June 1, 1989
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!