A number of people graciously assisted me with this work. Hans G. Hirsch was kind enough to translate portions of Mendelssohn's Essays on Sensation from the German to help clarify the manner in which early faculty psychologists identified personality components. Dennis Mitchell and Glenn Geher participated in the exploratory but demanding reliability studies of the classification system and made numerous suggestions for clarifying the concepts and presentation of the material. A number of my colleagues commented on early versions of the manuscript, including Ellen Con, Victor Benassi, and Becky Warner. Richard Kushner, Bill Peterson, and Dennis Mitchell read and commented on later versions of the manuscript. I am also grateful for the additional comments from students in my Spring 1994 graduate seminar on Personality and Emotion. Finally, the enthusiastic comments of David Sugarman and Susan Nolan enabled me to maintain my composure while making the changes everyone else suggested. To all these people I extend my heartfelt thanks.
A Framework for the Classification of Personality Components
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
Journal of Personality
Volume 63, Issue 4, pages 819–878, December 1995
How to Cite
Mayer, J. D. (1995), A Framework for the Classification of Personality Components. Journal of Personality, 63: 819–878. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-6494.1995.tb00318.x
- Issue online: 28 APR 2006
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2006
- Manuscript received May 28, 1993: revised May 17, 1994
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!