US regulatory system for genetically modified [genetically modified organism (GMO), rDNA or transgenic] crop cultivars
Article first published online: 23 OCT 2007
Plant Biotechnology Journal
Volume 6, Issue 1, pages 2–12, January 2008
How to Cite
McHughen, A. and Smyth, S. (2008), US regulatory system for genetically modified [genetically modified organism (GMO), rDNA or transgenic] crop cultivars. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 6: 2–12. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-7652.2007.00300.x
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2007
- Article first published online: 23 OCT 2007
- Received 22 March 2007; revised 17 July 2007; accepted 4 August 2007.
- 1968) Lenape: a new potato variety high in solids and chipping quality. Am. Potato J. 45, 142–145. , , and (
- 1990) Dietary pesticides (99.99% all natural). Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 7777–7781. , and (
- 1983) Regeneration of intact tobacco plants containing full length copies of genetically engineered T-DNA, and transmission of T-DNA to R1 progeny. Cell, 32, 1033–1043. , , and (
- 2006) Transgenesis has less impact on the transcriptome of wheat grain than conventional breeding. Plant Biotechnol. J. 4, 369–380. , , , , , and (
- 1974) Biohazards of recombinant DNA. Science 185, 3034, also Science 185, 303. , , , , , , , , , and (
- 1975) Summary statement of the Asilomar Conference on recombinant DNA molecules. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 72, 1981–1984, also Science 188, 991. , , , and (
- 2006) GM crops: the first ten years. Global socio-economic and environmental impacts. ISAAA Briefs, No. 36. Ithaca, NY: ASAAA. URL http://www.isaaa.org[accessed on 11 October 2007]. and (
- 1973) Construction of biologically functional bacterial plasmids in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 70, 3240–3244. , , and (
- FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) (1992) Statement of policy: foods derived from new plant varieties. Notice. US Federal Register 57, 22 984–23 005.
- FDA (1997) Guidance on Consultation Procedures; Foods Derived from New Plant Varieties. URL http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/consulpr.html[accessed on 11 October 2007].
- 1983a) Use of a chimeric gene to confer antibiotic resistance to plant cells. Advances in Gene Technology: Molecular Genetics of Plants and Animals. Miami Winter Symposia. 20, 211–221. , and (
- 1983b) Expression of bacterial genes in plant cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 80, 4803–4807. , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 1983) Expression of chimaeric genes transferred into plant cells using a Ti-plasmid-derived vector. Nature 303, 209–213. , , and (
- 2003) Biotechnology, the environment, and sustainability. Nutr. Rev. 61 (6 Suppl. 1), 105–109. (
- 1988) Field tests of recombinant Ice–Pseudomonas syringae for biological frost control in potato. Pp. 121–138. In: Release of Genetically-Engineered Micro-Organisms. , , , , eds. Academic Press Publishing, London, UK. , (
- 2000) Pandora's Picnic Basket: the Potential and Hazards of Genetically Modified Foods. New York: Oxford University Press. (
- 2007) Fatal flaws in agbiotech regulatory policies. Nat. Biotechnol. 25, 725–727. (
- NAS (US National Academy of Sciences) (1983) Risk Assessment in the Federal Government. Managing the Process. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- NAS (1987) Introduction of Recombinant DNA-Engineered Organisms into the Environment: Key Issues. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- NAS (1989) Field Testing Genetically Modified Organisms: Framework for Decisions. Washington DC: National Academies Press. URL http://books.nap.edu/catalog/1431.html[accessed on 11 October 2007].
- NAS (2002) Environmental Effects of Transgenic Plants. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- NAS (2004a) Safety of Genetically Engineered Foods. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- National Research Council (2000) Genetically modified pest protected plants: Science and regulation. National Academies Press, Washington DC.
- NIH (National Institutes of Health) (1976) Recombinant DNA research. Guidelines. Federal Register 41, 27 902, 27 911–27 943.
- NAS (2004b) Biological Confinement of Genetically Engineered Organisms. Washington DC: National Academies Press.
- NIH (1978) Guidelines for research involving recombinant DNA molecules. Federal Register, 43, 60 108.
- 1996) Identification of a Brazil-nut allergen in transgenic soybeans. N. Engl. J. Med. 334, 688–692. , , , and (
- OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) (1982) Biotechnology, International Trends and Perspectives. Paris: OECD.
- OECD (1986) Recombinant DNA Safety Considerations: Safety Considerations for Industrial, Agricultural and Environmental Applications of Organisms Derived by Recombinant DNA Techniques (aka ‘Blue Book’). Paris: OECD.
- 1983) Ti plasmids as experimental gene vectors for plants. Advances in Gene Technology: Molecular Genetics of Plants and Animals. Miami Winter Symposia 20, 191–209. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 2007) Are GM and conventionally bred cereals really different? Trends Food Sci. Technol. 18, 201–209. , , , , , , and (
- 2005) Trends affecting the next generation of U.S. agricultural biotechnology: politics, policy, and plant-made pharmaceuticals. Technol. Forecasting Social Change, 72, 521–534. and (
- US Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) (1986) Coordinated framework for regulation of biotechnology: announcement of policy and notice for public comment. Federal Register 51: 23 302–23 393.
- 1970) Glycoalkaloid content of B5141-6 potatoes. Am. Potato J. 47, 256–260. and (