Regulating innovative crop technologies in Canada: the case of regulating genetically modified crops
Article first published online: 19 NOV 2007
© 2007 The Authors
Plant Biotechnology Journal
Volume 6, Issue 3, pages 213–225, April 2008
How to Cite
Smyth, S. and McHughen, A. (2008), Regulating innovative crop technologies in Canada: the case of regulating genetically modified crops. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 6: 213–225. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-7652.2007.00309.x
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2007
- Article first published online: 19 NOV 2007
- Received 27 September 2007; accepted 11 October 2007.
- Agriculture Canada (1992) Letter of Invitation to Participate. Mimeograph. Ottawa, ON: Queen's Printer.
- Agriculture Canada (1994) Plant Biotechnology Advisory Committee: Summary of Proceedings. Ottawa, ON: Queen's Printer.
- Canadian Agricultural Research Council (1988) Proceedings of the Workshop on Regulation of Agricultural Products of Biotechnology. Ottawa, ON: Canadian Agricultural Research Council.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2000) Procedures for the Registration of Crop Varieties in Canada. URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/variet/proced/regenr_promode.shtml#4[accessed on 12 February 2007].
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2004a) Directive 2000-07: Conducting Confined Research Field Trials of Plants with Novel Traits in Canada. URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/bio/dir/dir0007e.shtml[accessed on 25 April 2005].
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2004b) Directive 94-08: Assessment Criteria for Determining Environmental Safety of Plants with Novel Traits. URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/bio/dir/dir9408e.shtml[accessed on 4 December 2004].
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2005a) Regulation of Agricultural Biotechnology in Canada. Ottawa: Queen's Printer.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2005b) How are Plants with Novel Traits Assessed for their Long Term Safety by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)? URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/sci./biotech/reg/equive.shtml[accessed on 12 February 2007].
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2006a) Seed Regulatory Framework Modernization Including Adjustments to the Variety Registration System. URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/variet/revetu/prepo06e.shtml[accessed on 10 January 2007].
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (2006b) Regulation of Agricultural Biotechnology in Canada an Educator's Resource. URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/sci./biotech/General/educ_postsece.shtml[accessed on 27 February 2006].
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) (undated)Workshop on Regulating Agricultural Products of Biotechnology. URL http://www.inspection.gc.ca[accessed on 13 November 2007].
- Environment Canada (2005) A Guide to Understanding the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999. URL http://www.ec.gc.ca/CEPARegistry/the_act/guide04/s5.cfm[accessed on 22 February 2007].
- Environment Canada. (2007) Overview of CEPA 1999. URL http://www.ec.gc.ca/CEPARegistry/gene_info/Overview.cfm[accessed on 27 February 2007].
- 2001) Regulating novel foods in Canada. Presentation to the Conference on the Convergence of Global Regulatory Affairs: its Potential Impact on International Trade and Public Perception, March 19–20, 2001, Saskatoon, SK, Canada. (
- Health Canada (2001) Action Plan of the Government of Canada. URL http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/sr-sr/pubs/gmf-agm/substan_table_e.html[accessed on 19 February 2007].
- Health Canada (2006a) Genetically Modified (GM) Foods and Other Novel Foods. URL http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/gmf-agm/index_e.html[accessed on 19 February 2007].
- Health Canada (2006b) Environmental Impact Initiative. URL http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ewh-semt/contaminants/person/impact/about-impact/index_e.html[accessed on 6 March 2007].
- Health Canada (2006c) Guidelines for the Safety Assessment of Novel Foods. URL http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/legislation/guide-ld/nf-an/guidelines-lignesdirectrices_e.html[accessed on 6 March 2007].
- Health Canada (2006d) Processing a Novel Food Notification/Submission in the Food Directorate. URL http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/legislation/guide-ld/novel_notification-avis-nouveaux_e.html[accessed on 8 March 2007].
- 1998) Supply chain management: the case of a UK baker preserving the identity of Canadian milling wheat. Supply Chain Manage. 3 (3), 157–166. , , and (
- 2000) Pandora's Picnic Basket. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (
- 2001) Competitors co-operating: establishing a supply chain to manage genetically modified canola. Int. Food Agribus Manage Rev. 4, 51–66. and (
- 2002) Product differentiation alternatives: identity preservation, segregation and traceability. Agbioforum, 5 (2), 30–42. and (
- 2004) Regulating the Liabilities of Agricultural Biotechnology. Wallingford: CABI Publishing. , , and (
- The Royal Society of Canada (2001) Elements of Precaution: Recommendations for the Regulation of Food Biotechnology in Canada. URL http://www.rsc.ca//files/publications/expert_panels/foodbiotechnology/GMreportEN.pdf[accessed on 7 August 2007].