With thanks to my good friend and colleague Sir Richard Jolly, a great admirer of Hans Singer, who saved me from one or two faux pas.
Hans Singer: The Gentle Breeze of Development Economics
Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2006
© Institute of Social Studies 2006
Development and Change
Volume 37, Issue 6, pages 1379–1387, November 2006
How to Cite
Emmerij, L. (2006), Hans Singer: The Gentle Breeze of Development Economics. Development and Change, 37: 1379–1387. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-7660.2006.00533.x
- Issue online: 29 NOV 2006
- Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2006
- 1974) Redistribution with Growth: Policies to Improve Income Distribution in Developing Countries in the Context of Economic Growth. Oxford : Oxford University Press. et al. (
- 1937) National Income and Outlay. Basingstoke and London : Macmillan. (
- ILO (1972) Employment, Incomes, and Equality: A Strategy for Increasing Productive Employment in Kenya. Geneva : ILO.
- Men without Work: A Report Made to the Pilgrim Trust (1938). Cambridge : Cambridge University Press. (Reprinted by Greenwood Press, New York, 1968.)
- 1950) The Economic Development of Latin America and its Principal Problems. Lake Success , NY : United Nations. (
- 2001a) ‘The Opportunity and the Challenge: H. W. Singer's Contribution to the International Debate on Food Aid’, in H. W. Singer, International Development Co-operation: Selected Essays by H. W. Singer on Aid and the United Nations System, Ch. 10. Basingtoke : Palgrave. (
- 2001b) The UN World Food Programme and the Development of Food Aid. Basingstoke : Palgrave/Macmillan. (
- 2002) Sir Hans Singer: The Life and Work of a Development Economist. Basingstoke : Palgrave/Macmillan. (
- 1950) ‘The Distribution of Gains between Investing and Borrowing Countries’, American Economic Review XI(2) May. (
- 1976) ‘Early Years’, in A. Cairncross and M. Puri, Employment, Income Distribution, and Development Strategy: Problems of the Developing Countries. Essays in Honour of H. W. Singer. Basingstoke : Macmillan. (
- 2001) ‘Debt Pressures, Adjustment Policies and Deterioration of Terms of Trade for Developing Countries (with special reference to Latin America)’, in H. W. Singer, International Development Co-Operation: Selected Essays by H. W. Singer on Aid and the United Nations System, pp. 125–59. Basingstoke : Palgrave (
- 2004) The UN and Global Political Economy: Trade, Finance, and Development. Bloomington , IN : Indiana University Press. and (
- UNICEF (1947) The Role of Children in Economic Development. Lake Success , NY : UNICEF.
- United Nations (1949) Post War Price Relations in Trade between Under-developed and Industrialized Countries. Lake Success , NY : United Nations.