Obesity: a medical history
Article first published online: 19 FEB 2007
Volume 8, Issue Supplement s1, pages 31–36, March 2007
How to Cite
Haslam, D. (2007), Obesity: a medical history. Obesity Reviews, 8: 31–36. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-789X.2007.00314.x
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 19 FEB 2007
- Accepted 16 November 2006
- 1Syndrome X: a short history. Ochsner J 2001; 3: 124–125. [WWW document]. URL http://www.ochsnerjournal.org/ochsonline/?request=get-document&issn=1524-5012&volume=003&issue=03&page=0124 (accessed October 2006)., .
- 2Hippocrates 400bc De Priscina Medicina.
- 3Siculus 90bc–20bc Bibliotheca historica.
- 4Herodotus ∼440bc. Euterpe, section 77.
- 5Laertius, Diogenes 3rd century Life of Pythagoras. segm 9. Menag (ed.).
- 6Stephanus of Byzantium 6th century De Urbib in Voce Taras. Byzantium.
- 7Plato 360bc Republic.
- 8Hippocrates ∼400bc De Flatibus.
- 9Hippocrates ∼400bc De Salubri Victus Ratione.
- 10Sebizius, Melchior 1650. On the Faculty of Foods lib 5 probl 52.
- 11Galen ∼ad160 De Sanitate Tuenda. lib 6 cap 8.
- 12The History of Health and the Art of Preserving It. William Gordon: Edinburgh, 1758..
- 13The Castel of Helth. 1539. New York 1940 (facsimile)..
- 14The Hauen of Health. Chiefely gathered for the comfort of students, and consequently of all those that haue a care of their health . . . Hereunto is added a Preseruation from the Pestilence, with a short Censure of the late sicknes at Oxford. B.L.=British Library? 1584..
- 15Directions for Health, Naturall and Artificiall. Publ Roger Jackson, London: London, 1607..
- 16The Breviary of Health Wherin Doth Follow, Remedies, for all Maner of Sicknesses and Diseases, the Which may be in Man or Woman. Thomas East: London, 1575..
- 17The Art of Preserving Health: A Poem. Millar: London, 1744..
- 18‘Cursory Remarks on Corpulence or Obesity . . .’ Callow: London, 1816. p. 75..
- 191788. p. 221.. A treatise of the gout and dropsy. publ. Robinson: London,
- 20Doctor of Physick in Bathe, Via Recta ad Vitam Longam, or a Treatisewherein the Right Way and Best Manner of Living for Attaining to a Long and Healthfull Life is Clearly Demonstrated and Punctually Applied to Every Age and Constitution of Body. Richard Moore, London: London, 1660..
- 21An Essay of Health and Long Life. George Strahan, London: London, 1724..
- 22Epistola Anatoma Clinica XXI. De Sedibuset Causis Morborum per Anatomen indagata. Translated from the Latin by Benjamin Alexander, M.D., with a Preface, Introduction and a new Translation of five letters by Paul Klemperer. Published under the auspices of the Library of the New York Academy of Medicine by Harner Publishing Co., NY, 1960. 1765..
- 23Comments on Corpulency, Lineaments on Leanness. Ebers & Co: London, 1839..
- 24Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public. Harrison: London, 1864..
- 25Hippocrates ∼440bc De Vict Rat in Morb Acut. lib 3.
- 26Domestic Medicine (American Edition). Dobson: Philadelphia, PA, 1795..
- 27The Modern Practice of Physic. Collins & Co: New York, 1811..
- 28Means of Preserving Health and Preventing Diseases. Collins, Perkins & Co: New York, 1806..
- 29Diabetes in the Ebers papyrus. http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~abhu000/diabetes/ebers.html (accessed July 2006).
- 30On Diabetes (de diabetes), by Aretaeus the Cappadocian. http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~abhu000/diabetes/aretaeus.html (accessed July 2006).
- 31Edward Hyde: Life of Edward, 1st Earl of Clarendon, by himself. Clarendon, Oxford: Oxford, 1759..
- 32‘Some Account of a Disorder of the Breast’ presented at the Royal College of Physicians July 21st 1768, in Vol. II of Medical Transactions of the College of Physicians, 1772. Royal College of Physicians: London, 1768..
- 33Lectures on Angina Pectoris and Allied States. D. Appleton: New York, 1897..
- 34Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin. The Physiology of Taste: Or Meditations on Transcendental Gastronomy. http://www.emhf.org/index.cfm/item_id/322 (accessed December 2006).
- 35Sexual differentiation, a factor affecting the forms of obesity. Presse Med 1947; 30: 339–340..